Mixfire vs Regular Crossfire

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Am I the only person that remembers that when CF was first announced, AMD proudly stated numerous times that Mixfire would work as an upgrade path?

At around similar times, Lucid (is that the company?) also announced GPU mixing of any sorts?

That would have changed the game. Oh well.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
as piss poor as crossfire is. can only imagine mixfire.

however if it does works for you - definitely more power to you.

Being a little sensational aren't we? while I'm no fan of Crossfire or even Sli for that matter I've never have been left with those feelings.

BigChickenJim

Jul 1, 2013
Being a little sensational aren't we? while I'm no fan of Crossfire or even Sli for that matter I've never have been left with those feelings.

I agree. I've only been using Crossfire (2x 7870) for a couple of months now, but I've come to believe that most of the dire warnings about microstutter and bad scaling are simply not true out in the wild. Far Cry 3 is the only game so far (and I play a lot of games) to display this mythical microstutter in any noticeable way, and Rivatuner's frame limiter killed that with no issues. There may be some crazy stutter going on in graphs and frametime charts, but it hasn't seemed to translate to actual end-uder issues for me very often so far. Meanwhile, I've seen FPS gains ranging from 50-100% on even higher settings than the single 7870 could swallow. All told I'd say I'm thrilled with it.

I'll admit that I generally don't buy PC games at release, so my positive experiences are likely partially based on some substantial post-release patching. I can't speak to how the games performed on release, but let's be honest and say that purchasing a game the day it comes out these days is likely to net you little more than a bunch of frustration regardless of your equipment. Sad but true.

Sure, a single GPU would be ideal, but the truth so far in my experience is that CFX works just fine the vast majority of the time and provides a HUGE performance boost for far less money. To imply that CFX is always a bad thing is just not true.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
Some of the microstutter issues are small. Small enough that many if not most people aren't bothered by it, but those same people still notice SLI to be smoother when compared side by side.

So basically it is not worth switching over if you aren't bothered by it, but I'd still go SLI before Crossfire if starting from scratch.