Mix nitrogen and regular air in tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JEDI, Oct 30, 2007.

1. JEDI

JEDI Lifer

i bought bf goodrich traction t/a's today from costco.

they use nitrogen (free), but fills only to manufacturer's psi. (32psi on my mazda3 16" wheels)

i usually fill to 40psi. it gives better gas milage.

so is there any downside to mixing nitrogen and regular in tires?

edit:
    meant oxygen, not pure o2.

edit2:
    sigh,,, regular air

2. Dman877

Dman877 Platinum Member

Isn't air like 70% nitrogen anyway? I don't think there would be a problem :).

3. getbush

getbush Golden Member

What are you talking about 02 for? Are you thinking of stealing your grandpas oxygen for your tires?

4. Blackjack200

Blackjack200 Lifer

Air is 78% nitrogen and 21% Oxygen. Essentially, a mixture of nitrogen and O2. If there is a downside to it, millions of cars are going to have major problems.

5. Toastedlightly

Toastedlightly Diamond Member

all cars do eventually break

6. Pacfanweb

Pacfanweb Lifer

Nitrogen in tires is a major ripoff if anyone paid for it. Do some google searching and you'll find out.

To answer your question: No, it won't hurt to top it off with air.

7. jagec

jagec Lifer

Why buy high-traction tires, and then overfill them to give up the traction advantage?

But no, putting air in your tires isn't going to hurt them.

8. AMCRambler

AMCRambler Diamond Member

Yeah, overinflating your tires is putting less rubber in contact with the road. Why don't you just buy thinner tires and inflate to 32psi?

9. nakedfrog

nakedfrog Lifer

What's the max PSI on those tires?

10. Ktulu

Ktulu Diamond Member

I though over inflating caused tires to wear out unevenly.

11. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

It causes the middle to buldge. Since you are running on less tire then there is less restiance so milage might improve some. Look at Hybrids and see how small their tires are.

12. jaedaliu

jaedaliu Platinum Member

ride gets bumpier too. I tend to go under 3 or 4 psi when I get them checked. Smoother ride. My mileage suffers a bit, but only by 10% or so.

13. GoatMonkey

GoatMonkey Golden Member

You'll have a nice bald patch on the middle of your tires and have to replace them sooner, completely canceling out any MPG advantage you might have gotten. Plus they may have a higher chance of blowing out with increased PSI.

I had a friend who filled his car tires to 60 PSI because that's what he had always used on his bicycle.

14. JEDI

JEDI Lifer

44psi

15. jagec

jagec Lifer

Oxygen IS pure O2:confused:

16. YetioDoom

YetioDoom Platinum Member

I think he means air.

17. JEDI

JEDI Lifer

sigh,,, regular air

18. SecPro

SecPro Member

Filling your tires to the max pressure listed on the sidewall will not cause your tires to wear much differently than if you inflate them to factory reccomended pressures. Rotation is the key to long tire life. Factory pressures are based on several factors, ride smoothness being one of the biggest contributors. I've always ran pressures above the factory recommended (but not above the max) and never had any problems. The rides a little harsher but the MPG is better and I think they handled better. Didn't feel mushy. YMMV.

and yes you can top those tires off with regular "air" at a gas station.

19. WolverineGator

WolverineGator Golden Member

SecPro is right. Like other posters above I thought high pressures would cause uneven wear, a harsh ride, and poor traction. I have experienced none of those things and I run my tires at 50 psi for the gas mileage improvement. The tires are wearing evenly and have about half their useful life remaining.

20. thomsbrain

thomsbrain Lifer

21. JEDI

JEDI Lifer

thx for explaination troll

22. Jahee

Jahee Platinum Member

Out of interest.. What kind of mileage increase do you get from running them at 40 rather than 32 PSI?

23. Uhtrinity

Uhtrinity Platinum Member

Moisture free or dry nitrogen is used to fill cavities in high end and military grade optics. Someone probably got the idea to use low moisture nitrogen to reduce the chance corrosion to the wheels, but for it to work you would have to purge out all of the 'wet' air. Other than that it just sounds like a fad. Fyi, I run my Insights tires at 45 psi, which is within the upper psi range of the tire, some guys go as high as 50 - 60psi.

24. JulesMaximus

JulesMaximus No Lifer

What an idiot.

BTW-Here is some information on tire inflation.

NEVER INFLATE TO MAXIMUM TIRE PRESSURE!

There is a common misunderstanding that a tire's pressure is stamped on the sidewall. In actuality, this pressure stamped on a tire's sidewall is the MAXIMUM COLD PRESSURE that the tire will safely hold.

Many tires are rated for a maximum cold pressure of 44 psi, to allow the tires to be used on a wide variety of vehicles. Some vehicles may only require 30 psi cold pressure, others may require 38 psi cold pressure. In both cases, this cold pressure is less than the tire's MAXIMUM cold pressure, so the tire can safely be installed on these vehicles.

Tires should be inflated according to the manufacturer's cold specifications, not the maximum pressure stamped on the sidewall of the tire.

Over-inflated tires, even those inflated to maximum pressure, will cause problems with ride comfort, stability and handling, uneven wear, and potential tire failure.

Under-inflated tires will also cause these same problems, but under-inflated tires have greater potential for tire failure.

When in doubt about your tires, stop by your local reputable tire dealer and inquire at the desk. They will be happy to check your tires and tire pressure.

NEVER inflate a tire beyond its maximum rating!

NEVER drive a tire that is severely over- or under-inflated, or it may fail and blow out!

ALWAYS have your tires installed by a trained and certified tire professional.

25. Howard

Howard Lifer

Uh?