Mitt Romney's Big Bird Attack Threatens Thousands Of U.S. Jobs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Amazing how "conservatives" always get their panties in a wad about cutting off funding for PBS. I wonder how many jet fighters we'd have to eliminate from the budget to make up for the PBS subsidy? Five? Ten? But heaven forbid we cut any military spending ever.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Amazing how "conservatives" always get their panties in a wad about cutting off funding for PBS. I wonder how many jet fighters we'd have to eliminate from the budget to make up for the PBS subsidy? Five? Ten? But heaven forbid we cut any military spending ever.

Try an engine. With the cost overruns in the F35 jet engine program it's not outside of the realm of possibility. $455 million's chump change in the defense industry.

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
527832_533386060024185_1328007525_n.jpg

I highly doubt Romney will get support for cutting PBS.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
ignorance: they name is PJabber.

For a moment I blinked and saw your name as that of fantasy history author Zinn and was going to quote a remarkable rejoinder. But then those tears of laughter cleared and I figured you are naming yourself after a bottle of Two-Buck Chuck, so I won't bother.

pray-tell: what does cutting 0.000035% of the budget have to do with being thrifty?

I agree it is a pittance, but as a finance guy I know that small drops add up to a very large bucket full of slop.

If I were R&R, I make some bold moves early on to catch everyone's attention - shut down the Department of Education, defund Obamanationcare, actually do zero-based budgeting - you know, the kind of effective actions that will make a dent.

lol--you guys actually think a guy like Romney is going to cut funding to PBS and NPR? the odd thing about your candidate, this year, is that Romney is actually smart--he very well knows the value of these services, and is only parroting such nonsense to appease the intellectual bottom feeders that make up your base.

LOL, I know you are too stuck up to admit to the quagmire that you and the rest of us are stuck in up to our necks. But, as you so readily point out, R&R will take office without the easy excuse/fact that Obama & Co came into office not knowing jack shit about economics. And they do know that if they will turn this corner it will be by the types of government austerity that will leave plenty of special interests wailing.

Easy times are over no matter who wins this election, but only the R&R team will have the will to start rolling back the trillions of unnecessary spending the Democrats have burdened us with. And I say let the Rs have at it, even if it means a chicken in every pot.

:awe:

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
ignorance: they name is PJabber.

pray-tell: what does cutting 0.000035% of the budget have to do with being thrifty?

lol--you guys actually think a guy like Romney is going to cut funding to PBS and NPR? the odd thing about your candidate, this year, is that Romney is actually smart--he very well knows the value of these services, and is only parroting such nonsense to appease the intellectual bottom feeders that make up your base.
There's an adage in racing: The easiest way to cut a hundred pounds is to find a hundred places to cut one pound.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Try an engine. With the cost overruns in the F35 jet engine program it's not outside of the realm of possibility. $455 million's chump change in the defense industry.
If you're referring to the backup engine program then yes, that's as egregious an example of graft as one is likely to find. The primary engine is doing just fine - in fact, it's way ahead of the backup engine which is struggling - and yet we're still funding a second engine development "just in case".

That doesn't mean that PBS shouldn't be struck from the public teat, though. It simply means there's a lot of extra pork available to be cut.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
yeah...privatized news sources. we all know how well that has worked out.

o_O

if anyone thinks that PBS is getting cut by any administration, then I have a bridge to sell....

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not sure that this is news as cuts in spending will costs thousands if not millions of jobs. No way around it (look at the defense contractors crying about the huge cuts coming from the fiscal cliff and all of the scare-mongering about layoffs, etc).

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
527832_533386060024185_1328007525_n.jpg

I highly doubt Romney will get support for cutting PBS.

I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things.

Again, I think PBS/Big Bird were just brought up as an example of how he intends to makes decisions on what gets cut: Is it so important that we're willing to borrow money from China to pay for it?

And ultimately this will be Congress's decision.

Fern

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things.

Again, I think PBS/Big Bird were just brought up as an example of how he intends to makes decisions on what gets cut: Is it so important that we're willing to borrow money from China to pay for it?

And ultimately this will be Congress's decision.

Fern

So, Romney was trying to give an example on how he intends to make cuts...and the first thing that comes to his mind is.....PBS.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
And creating a 4% GDP peg for base military spending is what exactly?
Something else, obviously. One can have a goal of cutting a hundred pounds and still increase the weight of one's roll bar, after all.

I would actually support pegging defense at 4% IFF we closed down most of our foreign bases and spent that money on American-manufactured ships and planes to develop a rapid-response capability anywhere in the world as well as a couple more divisions of light infantry. However as we're largely out of Iraq and will be soon be out of Afghanistan, we've waited too late to get the additional light infantry we needed, so my preference would be to peg defense at closer to 3% of GDP with a moderate built-in deployment fund and understanding that any deployment above that would be wholly funded by a special tax levied on all income.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Something else, obviously. One can have a goal of cutting a hundred pounds and still increase the weight of one's roll bar, after all.

I would actually support pegging defense at 4% IFF we closed down most of our foreign bases and spent that money on American-manufactured ships and planes to develop a rapid-response capability anywhere in the world as well as a couple more divisions of light infantry. However as we're largely out of Iraq and will be soon be out of Afghanistan, we've waited too late to get the additional light infantry we needed, so my preference would be to peg defense at closer to 3% of GDP with a moderate built-in deployment fund and understanding that any deployment above that would be wholly funded by a special tax levied on all income.

Even if the roll bar is already 10 times stronger than any accident it could encounter?

I thought we were supposed to be shedding weight from this race car.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Even if the roll bar is already 10 times stronger than any accident it could encounter?

I thought we were supposed to be shedding weight from this race car.
That is a point; I was arguing only that the principles are not necessarily in opposition. Not that I'm a proponent of 4% defense spending except within certain narrowly defined parameters; the reasons I favored increased defense spending are now winding down and we should be able to decrease defense spending.

As a general political rule, the rounder the number the less sound the proposition.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Cutting PBS isn't about Big Bird- it's about greater information control by the right wing ownership & management of the media. What Righties hate about PBS isn't Big Bird, it's things like Bill Moyer's Journal & other informational programming that shapes public opinion in ways they'd rather not have to deal with.

If Repub leaders had their way, all the media would be Faux News all the time, because the whole notion of the "Libruhl Media" is an outright lie, a masterful bit of deception.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Cutting PBS isn't about Big Bird- it's about greater information control by the right wing ownership & management of the media. What Righties hate about PBS isn't Big Bird, it's things like Bill Moyer's Journal & other informational programming that shapes public opinion in ways they'd rather not have to deal with.

If Repub leaders had their way, all the media would be Faux News all the time, because the whole notion of the "Libruhl Media" is an outright lie, a masterful bit of deception.
Pray tell us more about how Fox News is ganging up on ABC/CBS/NBC/MSNBC/CNN/CNBC/NCR/PBS/New York Times/LA Times/etc. 'Cause that doesn't make you look all that insane, really. We're laughing with you, Comrade, really we are.

If the public thought Bill Moyer was anything more than another cranky old proggie spouting the same tired propaganda while suckling on the public teat, PBS wouldn't need tax dollars.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
But only after Rick Perry, and then Santorum, right?

I mean...Rick Perry will be our president in 2013, right?
Well, if you believe in infinite universe theory then certainly in one, Rick Perry will be the next President.

The jury is still out on whether an infinite number of universes can produce a President Rick Perry who remembers why he wanted to be President . . .

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Pray tell us more about how Fox News is ganging up on ABC/CBS/NBC/MSNBC/CNN/CNBC/NCR/PBS/New York Times/LA Times/etc. 'Cause that doesn't make you look all that insane, really. We're laughing with you, Comrade, really we are.

If the public thought Bill Moyer was anything more than another cranky old proggie spouting the same tired propaganda while suckling on the public teat, PBS wouldn't need tax dollars.

There is virtually no "Libruhl Media" in this country, other than PBS. They're all corporate owned & operated, depend entirely on the advertising revenue generated from corporate interests, which are profoundly conservative by their very nature. Any of them that the Far Right sees as "Libruhl" is just less conservative than they'd like.

Why do people believe in trickle down economics, even though it has failed to deliver to the majority of Americans? Because the media sells it, quite actively, because their large incomes depend on the whims of those who promulgate it.

Why do people think that low taxes at the top create jobs, when they obviously don't? Because the media tells us that they do.

Why did we end up in Iraq? Because the media promulgated Bush Admin lies uncritically.

Why did people think that Bush deficits were good and now deficits are the work of the devil? Because the media says so.

It goes on from there. Just because you can gain the refuge of denial automatically, based on what you've been taught to believe by the media doesn't mean it's not denial. Quite the contrary.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I'm surprised people are missing the bigger picture here.
The Calais way that Mitt Romney dismisses the working class.
Those not in his class, or not on his level of the ladder.
Mitt is cold, Calais, and dismissive of way more than just that 47%.
Mitt tossed big bird under the buss, Jim Lehrer as well, and the easily missed issue to notice here is that Mitt actually enjoyed doing so.
He really liked that. He laughed and enjoyed doing that.
And I thought Richard Nixon was an ass hole....
Mitt is an ass hole in a class all his own.
Calling Mitt Romney an ass hole does ass holes a disservice.
But yes... Mitt is an ass hole in a class all his own.
That, if nothing else, should be quite clear to everyone regardless of party affiliation.
No doubt Mitt feels insulted that he must deal or address these scum bags, also known to him as the working class, in the first place. The slaves of America.
Toss them a bone, and give them nothing more beyond that.
Ann Romney also has exposed that same attitude by stating the Romney's were "entitled"
as the rightful leader of America. She actually said, it was "their turn".
Mitt Romney has no problem lying his your ass off, because it is easy to lie to those you never respected in the first place.
Better wake up people........

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
There is virtually no "Libruhl Media" in this country, other than PBS. They're all corporate owned & operated, depend entirely on the advertising revenue generated from corporate interests, which are profoundly conservative by their very nature. Any of them that the Far Right sees as "Libruhl" is just less conservative than they'd like.

Why do people believe in trickle down economics, even though it has failed to deliver to the majority of Americans? Because the media sells it, quite actively, because their large incomes depend on the whims of those who promulgate it.

Why do people think that low taxes at the top create jobs, when they obviously don't? Because the media tells us that they do.

Why did we end up in Iraq? Because the media promulgated Bush Admin lies uncritically.

Why did people think that Bush deficits were good and now deficits are the work of the devil? Because the media says so.

It goes on from there. Just because you can gain the refuge of denial automatically, based on what you've been taught to believe by the media doesn't mean it's not denial. Quite the contrary.
M'kay . . .

You don't find it even a little strange that the "profoundly conservative" "corporate" media continuously declares that Obama's already won the election, or would devote an entire day to pushing the President's health care plan while not even allowing the conservatives to BUY air time, or repeatedly get overheard disparaging their presumptive conservative brethren?

Perhaps you should ask the opinions of those nice men who tie your sleeves behind your back. ;)

I'm surprised people are missing the bigger picture here.
The Calais way that Mitt Romney dismisses the working class.
Those not in his class, or not on his level of the ladder.
Mitt is cold, Calais, and dismissive of way more than just that 47%.
Mitt tossed big bird under the buss, Jim Lehrer as well, and the easily missed issue to notice here is that Mitt actually enjoyed doing so.
He really liked that. He laughed and enjoyed doing that.
And I thought Richard Nixon was an ass hole....
Mitt is an ass hole in a class all his own.
Calling Mitt Romney an ass hole does ass holes a disservice.
But yes... Mitt is an ass hole in a class all his own.
That, if nothing else, should be quite clear to everyone regardless of party affiliation.
No doubt Mitt feels insulted that he must deal or address these scum bags, also known to him as the working class, in the first place. The slaves of America.
Toss them a bone, and give them nothing more beyond that.
Ann Romney also has exposed that same attitude by stating the Romney's were "entitled"
as the rightful leader of America. She actually said, it was "their turn".
Mitt Romney has no problem lying his your ass off, because it is easy to lie to those you never respected in the first place.
Better wake up people........
You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

One minor correction: Romney never proposed throwing Big Bird under the bus. Romney proposed no longer paying Big Bird's bus fare. Otherwise I give you a 9.5 for both spittle volume and distance.