Mitt Romney tells 533 lies in the past 30 weeks...

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
The biggest story of this election.

We are now beginning to accept calling our politicians "Liars"

I think it is a healthy thing...we no longer dance around the reality that they LIE to us. We are no longer accepting the idea that they "misspeak" or that they "forgot" or that they are confused, or are anything else other than they LIE.

and using the word "LIE" in the media is a good thing, especially if it is true.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
:awe:
Here's a list of 533 lies Romney's made in the past 30 weeks. As much as I'd like to vote Republican in the coming election, there's no way I'm getting behind this moron. The GOP sets a scary precedent when a race based on lies is more effective than the truth.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slackt...-lies-in-30-weeks-steve-benen-documents-them/

Gee, that sounds scary! :eek:

Who put this list together? Rachel Maddow's producer? Say it ain't so!

Steve Benen (born May 15, 1973) is an American political writer and blogger, an MSNBC contributor, and a producer for The Rachel Maddow Show.

From August 2008 to January 2012, Benen was the lead blogger for the Washington Monthly's "Political Animal" blog.[1]. He was also the publisher of The Carpetbagger Report, which was a staple of the American political blogosphere for five years[citation needed].

Benen's articles and op-eds have appeared in a variety of publications, including the Washington Monthly, The American Prospect, The Huffington Post, and the New York Daily News.

He has been a guest on several programs, including NPR’s Talk of the Nation,[2] MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show, MSNBC’s The Ed Show, Current TV's Countdown with Keith Olbermann, Air America Radio’s The Sam Seder Show, and XM Radio’s POTUS ‘08. In addition to The Carpetbagger Report, Steve is the former lead editor of Salon.com's Blog Report, and has been a contributor to Talking Points Memo, Crooks and Liars, The Guardian, AlterNet, Political Wire, and Seven Days (newspaper).

... was an intern in Bill Clinton's White House Office of Speechwriting. In 1996, he was the communications director for an unsuccessful Democratic congressional campaign in Pennsylvania. From 1997 to 2002, Benen worked in the communications department at Americans United for the Separation of Church and State.

Riiiiight.

And you claim that you would like to vote Republican? What alternative universe are you coming from?

Why is it that all of the obviously far left Democrats claim they would vote Republican only if Republicans magically turned into far left Democrats?

Why don't they have the courage to just stand up and say that they are far left Democrats?

434816260_Difference20Between20Republicans20And20Democrats3_xlarge.jpeg

Last edited:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I looked at the "I" link and those look like lies to me.

I don't have the hours needed to check all 533 lies.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

Riiiiight.

And you claim that you would like to vote Republican? What alternative universe are you coming from?

are you saying he is lying about people lying?

my head is about to asplode!

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
Who put this list together? Rachel Maddow's producer?

It really doesn't matter to me. The arguments are sound and the sources are solid. It doesn't matter if only 50% of those claims are true - 200+ lies is still a ton.

On economic issues... definitely not social ones. I don't think the tea-party/anarchist approach is what the country needs. We need a solid government that takes care of the people's needs, not wasting money on foreign wars and keeping prisons full of potheads.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
It really doesn't matter to me. The arguments are sound and the sources are solid. It doesn't matter if only 50% of those claims are true - 200+ lies is still a ton.

The comments of those who actually read that left wing blogger's lists show that most of the claims are spurious, that there is a huge amount of repetition in the listings and that most fail to account for context.

If he is caught out in lying about Mitt lying, why place any faith in anything he writes? You would do well to understand that your source is on a mission where he feels his own lying is justified by the end he is trying to achieve.

Instead, you jump right up and say, foolish me, I know he is a liar but I like his lies, so they mostly must be true.

On economic issues... definitely not social ones. I don't think the tea-party/anarchist approach is what the country needs. We need a solid government that takes care of the people's needs, not wasting money on foreign wars and keeping prisons full of potheads.

Democrat. No doubt about it.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
It's good that you're willing to admit that Romney did tell the 533 lies, but it's sad to see that you don't care.

If you are willing to admit Obama told 3235 lies, then sure. Though it would be sad to see you not care about that.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
If you are willing to admit Obama told 3235 lies, then sure. Though it would be sad to see you not care about that.

I'll admit it just as soon as you can provide links to the fact-based list of 3235, like the OP does for Romney's 533.

You do have that list, right? You didn't just make up a "faith based" number?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I'll admit it just as soon as you can provide links to the fact-based list of 3235, like the OP does for Romney's 533.

You do have that list, right? You didn't just make up a "faith based" number?

One has to believe the article, but it has already been shown to be untrue. With that as your kind of "fact", you should easily believe anything you are told. I simply did the math to work out how many Obama would have told in his time as president.

EDIT: Since you will not admit to the number of Obama lies, since it is not based on reality, I will also not admit to the number of Romney lies, since that is not based on reality either. :)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
One has to believe the article, but it has already been shown to be untrue. With that as your kind of "fact", you should easily believe anything you are told. I simply did the math to work out how many Obama would have told in his time as president.

EDIT: Since you will not admit to the number of Obama lies, since it is not based on reality, I will also not admit to the number of Romney lies, since that is not based on reality either. :)

I'd honestly like to see some links disproving the claims in the OP. This thread has nothing of the sort, it just has claims of bias not any proof that the author is wrong.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I'd honestly like to see some links disproving the claims in the OP. This thread has nothing of the sort, it just has claims of bias not any proof that the author is wrong.

The comments of those who actually read that left wing blogger's lists show that most of the claims are spurious, that there is a huge amount of repetition in the listings and that most fail to account for context.

You will find it in the OP's link. If you want specifics, PJABBER should be able to give them to you, he read them already.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
You will find it in the OP's link. If you want specifics, PJABBER should be able to give them to you, he read them already.

Hey, I am looking forward to enjoying the hot summer evening here in DC, so don't volunteer me for more posting!

You can see the rebuttals that are in the comments to the lefty's blog posts first, then it is not hard to track down where the distortions occur yourself. I started doing so but after reading a few realized it was just a hit piece attempt and a poor one at that.

As far as Obama lying, well, you have lots of references and can take the whole weekend to get through them.

How about a start right here, this WWW site has a loooong list -

http://obamalies.net/

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Riiiiight.

Why is it that all of the obviously far left Democrats claim they would vote Republican only if Republicans magically turned into far left Democrats?

Why don't they have the courage to just stand up and say that they are far left Democrats?

434816260_Difference20Between20Republicans20And20Democrats3_xlarge.jpeg
It's funny how election after election, these supposed conservatives who say "I'd really like to vote Republican, but" or "I'm a conservative, but" or "I lean right, but" NEVER follow that up with "the Democrat candidate is SOOO great." It's ALWAYS "the Republican is so icky/dishonest/stupid". Amazes me that people can express the same far left views as the rest of their kin and expect a little blatantly transparent dishonesty to make political hay.

Apologies to Afurryreptile if I've wronged him, but I'm about a decade past believing anyone when they claim to be conservative and then immediately start the same spin as the foamiest far left moonbats.

Hint: People who would "really like to vote Republican" don't see anything on Patheos.com. Ever.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Mitt Romney tells 533 lies in the past 30 weeks...

Here's a list of 533 lies Romney's made in the past 30 weeks. As much as I'd like to vote Republican in the coming election, there's no way I'm getting behind this moron. The GOP sets a scary precedent when a race based on lies is more effective than the truth.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slackt...-lies-in-30-weeks-steve-benen-documents-them/

I'm surprised they were able to compile a list.

That Factcheck.org guy said he was overwhelmed by the shear amount of lying by the Romney campaign and he basically gave up trying to keep up.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006

Of course there's repetition. The guy's been documenting lies for 30 WEEKS, and conservatives like to repeat themselves to sound credible. If you want more context, try Google.

If he is caught out in lying about Mitt lying, why place any faith in anything he writes? You would do well to understand that your source is on a mission where he feels his own lying is justified by the end he is trying to achieve.

This isn't about placing faith in the author (you'd do well not to place "faith" in anything.) It's about looking at a list of claims made by the author, looking at his sources, and deciding for yourself if they're true. A good many of them are absolutely true, even if you don't want to admit it.

"I have an apple and an orange. I claim that the apple is red in color and the orange is blue." Does my incorrect assertion about the orange completely invalidate mine about the apple? I think not.

Instead, you jump right up and say, foolish me, I know he is a liar but I like his lies, so they mostly must be true.

You'd also do well not to put words in other people's mouth. Another idiotic right-wing trait. I don't give a flying-fuck who the author is or what his motives are; his sources are solid and his claims have credibility.

I would argue that it is MORE dangerous to support a party that's lying to you, but conservatives are so deluded in their politics to realize that EVERYTHING isn't a conspiracy theory by "the damn liberals!" Did you know that conservatives are more than twice as likely to be misinformed about a topic than people who get no news at all?

Democrat. No doubt about it.

A free-thinker, and a moral human being. I'm convinced that conservatives are more interested in what's comfortable, than what's right.

(btw, you argue like my dad. It's like arguing with Rupert Murdoch himself!)

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The problem every Politician has is that they can promise to work towards X,Y,Z, but don't have the power to guarantee it. The informed Voter should be aware that having someone at least working towards policy they agree with is about all they can be assured of. When a Politician simply Lies, there's no way for the Voter to be informed.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Of course there's repetition. The guy's been documenting lies for 30 WEEKS, and conservatives like to repeat themselves to sound credible. If you want more context, try Google.

This isn't about placing faith in the author (you'd do well not to place "faith" in anything.) It's about looking at a list of claims made by the author, looking at his sources, and deciding for yourself if they're true. A good many of them are absolutely true, even if you don't want to admit it.

"I have an apple and an orange. I claim that the apple is red in color and the orange is blue." Does my incorrect assertion about the orange completely invalidate mine about the apple? I think not.

You'd also do well not to put words in other people's mouth. Another idiotic right-wing trait. I don't give a flying-fuck who the author is or what his motives are; his sources are solid and his claims have credibility.

I would argue that it is MORE dangerous to support a party that's lying to you, but conservatives are so deluded in their politics to realize that EVERYTHING isn't a conspiracy theory by "the damn liberals!" Did you know that conservatives are more than twice as likely to be misinformed about a topic than people who get no news at all?

A free-thinker, and a moral human being. I'm convinced that conservatives are more interested in what's comfortable, than what's right.

(btw, you argue like my dad. It's like arguing with Rupert Murdoch himself!)
Incredible self-ownage to have one's story collapse from "As much as I'd like to vote Republican in the coming election" to the usual mindless drivel in one page in one's own thread about lies. Now we get to see if you've the intellect to realize it and the integrity to admit it.

And of course he argues like your dad - they're both adults.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
Apologies to Afurryreptile if I've wronged him, but I'm about a decade past believing anyone when they claim to be conservative and then immediately start the same spin as the foamiest far left moonbats.

Hint: People who would "really like to vote Republican" don't see anything on Patheos.com. Ever.

I ran across the article on Reddit.

Maybe I should clarify, since people are really seeming to get hung up on my political stance...

I used to be a conservative. I didn't like their social views, so now I'm something else. I like conservative-minded thinking - as far as the regulation of businesses goes - but I still think corporations should be taxed fairly, and transparently. I'm more of a liberal when it comes to social views - people need to keep their religion out of my government.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
Incredible self-ownage to have one's story collapse from "As much as I'd like to vote Republican in the coming election" to the usual mindless drivel in one page in one's own thread about lies. Now we get to see if you've the intellect to realize it and the integrity to admit it.

And of course he argues like your dad - they're both adults.

"As much as I'd like to vote Republican" is not the same as "I am a Republican." I'm not, and it's because I have been so incredibly disillusioned with the party these past few years.

Don't read into that statement too much, and don't discredit the story because of my views. It comes off as nit-picky and ignorant.

Last edited: