Mitt Romney Takes National Lead For Republican Nomination

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
McCain's "It's ok with me if we're in Iraq for 100 years," hurt him, and rightfully so. But Mitt? Please, God, no.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Within the margin of error, so no biggie, but with the economy tanking being a bigger issue than the war to most voters, they may want someone they perceive as more CEO than Commander in Chief?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: bamacre
McCain's "It's ok with me if we're in Iraq for 100 years," hurt him, and rightfully so. But Mitt? Please, God, no.

And yet Romneys "I want a 100 Gitmos" didn't hurt him?
Werd.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: bamacre

if I can borrow a line... it's the economy, stupid.

but that only bodes well for the democrats, no matter who gets the nod.

McCain has a chance to turn the election into a referendum on the war, whether or not Americans still think it can be won, and who would make a better commander in chief; all Romney has is the economy, at which point people will probably compare the economy under the last republican versus the economy under the last democrat and vote for Hillbama.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Given the spotty results of pollsters thus far this year, its hard to get to excited over one poll.

But in less than 36 hours, we should have the actual results from the Florida primary. And then a one week vacation before super Tuesday. But I feel somewhat vindicated that I earlier predicted the Republican nomination would come down to a basic McCain or Romney. And the delegates won by Ron Paul or Huckabee could become the giant jokers in the deck.

But given the fact that both Romney and McCain are both likely to change tactics depending on how Florida comes down, I am reluctant to claim I see much beyond Florida yet. Even after super Tuesday is over, unknown near term future events regarding the Iraq war or the economy could well make existing convention wisdoms into a brand new ball game.