Mitt Romney: I dont know what the Constitution says! Ask Ron Paul

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 14, 2001
OK. When did he say he opposes it? Any written statements or video recordings?

You mean I also have to sift through the piles of garbage that Paul haters also threw all over the place. Since you are so much more familiar with this information it would be a heck of a lot easier for you to just post a credible link or something instead of pointing to a pile of garbage and telling someone to find a relevant newspaper clipping in there ;)

What do you think Ron Paul's position on the 14th Amendment even is?

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
What do you think Ron Paul's position on the 14th Amendment even is?

"...birthright citizenship, originating in the 14th amendment, has become a serious cultural and economic dilemma for our nation… No other wealthy, western nations grant automatic citizenship to those who simply happen to be born within their borders to non-citizens. These nations recognize that citizenship involves more than the physical location of one’s birth; it also involves some measure of cultural connection and allegiance. In most cases this means the parents must be citizens of a nation in order for their newborn children to receive automatic citizenship…
I’ve introduced legislation that would amend the Constitution and end automatic birthright citizenship. The 14th amendment was ratified in 1868, on the heels of the Civil War. The country, especially the western territories, was wide open and ripe for homesteading. There was no welfare state to exploit, and the modern problems associated with immigration could not have been imagined…
Our founders knew that unforeseen problems with our system of government would arise, and that’s precisely why they gave us a method for amending the Constitution. It’s time to rethink birthright citizenship by amending the 14th amendment."

October 2, 2006, Ron Paul