Mitt Romney defacto admits he is a phony

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I didn't see the actual debate but watched a clip last night, heard this and wondered why nobody else on the stage caught this.

It was brought up Romney hired a lawn care service that employed illegals. Here was the Mittsters reaction...

“So we went to the company and we said, look, you can’t have any illegals working on our property,” said Romney. “I’m running for office, for Pete’s sake, I can’t have illegals. It turns out that once question, they hired someone who had falsified their documents, had documents, and therefore we fired them.”

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...of-hiring-illegal-immigrants-as-lawn-keepers/

So Mitt doesn't react to the company hiring illegals just because it was wrong, he reacted because "I'm running for office".

Now to be fair he isn't the only high profile politician willing to look the other way when possibly hiring illegals. Meg Whitman, Zoe Biard come to mind. This goes to the heart of why conservatives can't stand this guy. He's willing to say anything, take any position to get elected.

Someone on that stage could have said, "Hey Mitt this is the problem people have with you. You should do the right thing just because it is the right thing, not because people are looking or you are running for office."

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
The Boston Globe (who wrote the story originally) already debunked the claims.

Romney found out that a company he contracted to do yard work was hiring illegal immigrants and told them to stop.
The company agreed.
At a later point he found out that they were continuing to hire illegal immigrants so he fired the company.
This wasn't a 1 time incident but played out over 8 or so months.

Cheesetogo

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2005
The Boston Globe (who wrote the story originally) already debunked the claims.

Romney found out that a company he contracted to do yard work was hiring illegal immigrants and told them to stop.
The company agreed.
At a later point he found out that they were continuing to hire illegal immigrants so he fired the company.
This wasn't a 1 time incident but played out over 8 or so months.

This isn't about debunking the claims -- it's about Romney's personal beliefs on illegal immigrants. His wording somewhat suggested that he only cared about having illegals working for the contractor because he was running for office, and that it might make him look bad.

It was a pretty poor choice of words on his part last night, IMO. I can't really see this hurting him too much though.

Last edited:

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
So Mitt doesn't react to the company hiring illegals just because it was wrong, he reacted because "I'm running for office".

How is this any different from all those right-wing fundies accepting Jesus as their savior for the sole purpose of getting to heaven, because they know they'll be doomed to eternal damnation if they don't? How come they don't believe in Jesus "because it's the right thing to believe," regardless of the consequences?

And what about those ten commandments? The fundies inform us that without God telling them right from wrong, they'd live a life of never-ending sin. How come they just don't do the right thing, regardless of what God tells them?

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
It's a little funny to watch Republicans pick a candidate. Nobody really likes Romney, so they picked up Bachmann, inspected her closely found her too crazy and dropped her. Then they picked up Perry, examined him, dumped him. Now it's Cain's turn to go through this.

Face it, it's gonna be Romney. The only unknown is who's going to be the running mate.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
funny liberals attacking rommney for illegal imgrants when they have no problems with illegals at all.

If the company was doing a good job why should he drop them right away? Do you people check the employeement records of every one you do business with?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
funny liberals attacking rommney for illegal imgrants when they have no problems with illegals at all.

If the company was doing a good job why should he drop them right away? Do you people check the employeement records of every one you do business with?

Funny conservatives, can't read.

I didn't blame Willard for hiring illegals, that was the lawn care service. I fault him for wanting to get rid of them because "he is running for office". Not because it is the right thing to do. By his own admission.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Doesn't matter to me, I'm most likely going to vote for Mitt if he wins the nomination because I can appreciate someone that puts the general population's interests above their own.

He has done this repeatedly as governor like when he signed the gay marriage law despite his religious beliefs to the contrary.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Doesn't matter to me, I'm most likely going to vote for Mitt if he wins the nomination because I can appreciate someone that puts the general population's interests above their own.

He has done this repeatedly as governor like when he signed the gay marriage law despite his religious beliefs to the contrary.

He DID???

Wow, wonder if the Tea Party knows this? They would have another chance to boo.

However Chris Wallace's interview of Rick Santorum on FNS a few weeks ago already sent the signal from Roger Ailes, leave gay people alone.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Funny that Republicans have no problem with illegals at all either...

Well, not really it just means that as far as the the illegal immigration issue goes we are fucked regardless of who wins. Hell, just about any issue we are fucked regardless of which asshole from the two clubs wins. I do enjoy campaign time though as I get to watch them argue about who is going to use the most (or any) lube.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
Funny conservatives, can't read.

I didn't blame Willard for hiring illegals, that was the lawn care service. I fault him for wanting to get rid of them because "he is running for office". Not because it is the right thing to do. By his own admission.

and what poltican doesnt?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
This isn't about debunking the claims -- it's about Romney's personal beliefs on illegal immigrants. His wording somewhat suggested that he only cared about having illegals working for the contractor because he was running for office, and that it might make him look bad.

It was a pretty poor choice of words on his part last night, IMO. I can't really see this hurting him too much though.

That's how I read it as well. Romney is still viewed as the snake he was 4 years ago by most, this will just help reinforce the idea.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Just another liberal circle-jerk that doesn't mean anything to anyone else.

Has Romney knowingly hired illegal immigrants when he wasn't running for office?

If you have proof of that, then this thread is valid.

If not, then it's just a liberal circle-jerk.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Just another liberal circle-jerk that doesn't mean anything to anyone else.

Has Romney knowingly hired illegal immigrants when he wasn't running for office?

If you have proof of that, then this thread is valid.

If not, then it's just a liberal circle-jerk.

Too bad your most likely nominee isn't authentic just a graduate from Running for President University

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Anyways I don't think he meant it in terms of him being in an election and that is why he couldn't have illegals working rather he knew it could come up (like Whitman) and didn't want the distraction.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

I caught it when he said it and thought this too.

Lame-o issue for Perry to go nuclear on. Truth is the only time people care is when they are running for office, and after they get caught. Right Meg Whitman?

Try finding a landscaper/etc who doesn't have illegals or one who's gringoes don't look like they are on work release from a rehab program.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Anyways I don't think he meant it in terms of him being in an election and that is why he couldn't have illegals working rather he knew it could come up (like Whitman) and didn't want the distraction.

That's pretty good. They should contract you to spin this one out.

In the debate Romney said, "I don't think I've hired an illegal in my life". That phrase was very very carefully parsed. I'm sure the handlers reviewd this in detail.

Perry had him flustered and he mistakenly quoted himself talking to the lawn care service. It completely revealed where his priorities were. The first story came out about an illegal working there, Romney kept the same lawn company. Another year later there was a second. That second year was closer to him running in 2008.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Yeah, I think he did. He was actually honest for a second and he screwed up.

Don't try to flame libs, it was the uber-conservative who brought it up trying to pan to the rabid anti-illegal voters in the GOP base. Its not our primary and we really don't care.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Seriously, guys? You need to attack Romney about being disingenuous about illegal immigrants? This seems to be basically the only aspect of public policy he HASN'T done a convenient 180 on.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
I was under the impression that he's already been exposed as being a phony.

But when I watched the debate, here they go again w\ their "top tier" bs... pretty much telling gullible americans that their 3 choices are rick perry, mitt romney, herman cain, oh... and there are these other candidates too, but of course they don't have a chance of winning.