Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan finally release the "details" to their Tax plan

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001

Funny, but they might get sued for misrepresenting themselves as the Romney campaign.

I am getting the impression that with pranks like this and the Big Bird advertising, that the Democrats just don't have anything of substance to say.

With all of the brouhaha about wanting more detail about Romney's plans (which, btw, are posted on his campaign site in plenty of detail) we don't have ANY clue as to what Obama and pals plan to do if they get four more years!

It is all Romney attack ads and no vision for the future!

It is because that is the way they are playing it that Romney got such a bounce as he overcame billions of dollars of character assassination ads and nothing more.

Last edited:

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
OK, that one got me for a minute there because I'm tired this morning. I chased that red tab around the screen like an idiot for awhile. Very clever.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Was no big secret, really.
U get screwed, ME get rich(er).
A lot lot lot lot lot rich(er).
Rich = GOOD. Poor = BAD. (grunt grunt sayeth Frankenmittens)

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Tonight should be a cinch for Obama.

Hammer the (lack of) details, channel Bill Clinton's convention message. Stop tripping over himself, this isn't about him, this isn't about Mitt. It's about a plan forward, the future goals of America.

Give it to us. Romney has failed to do so. Up the salesmanship of the salesman cause he isn't selling you anything but smoke and mirrors. Is that so hard to beat?

That little webpage has more fight in it than Obama did the first debate.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Obummer gets flustered when he gets confronted without a teleprompter, all Romney has to do is call Oblama a liar when he spouts off with the usual liberal Democrat lies and Obamer will go into his "err, duh, err, uhhh, bu...bu....but... Bush! default speech.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
Pretty childish and an old "joke" that wasn't funny the first time I coded something similar in VB back in the 90s(moving button.)

I'm not so sure what is hard to understand about his tax plan. They are going to close a lot of the loopholes and cap write-offs...

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Pretty childish and an old "joke" that wasn't funny the first time I coded something similar in VB back in the 90s(moving button.)

I'm not so sure what is hard to understand about his tax plan. They are going to close a lot of the loopholes and cap write-offs...

Which ones might those be? I don't understand

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

It's not hard to understand at all. Cut all tax rates by 20%. So poor people get a 2% tax break and rich people get a 7% tax break. That equates to $480B less revenue for the government each year.

You're smart enough to run your own business(es) but not smart enough to figure out the only way to make up for the $480B loss in revenue is to "close the loophole" for mortgage interest deduction?

Jan 25, 2011

And yet you don't understand that, with the % cuts he is proposing in the tax rates, they could close every single loop hole on the wealthy and still not be able to make up the difference.

The only way is to impact the middle class. Eliminate or reduce mortgage rate deductions, health care deductions etc... People want to know if those are safe.

Last edited:

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Obummer gets flustered when he gets confronted without a teleprompter, all Romney has to do is call Oblama a liar when he spouts off with the usual liberal Democrat lies and Obamer will go into his "err, duh, err, uhhh, bu...bu....but... Bush! default speech.

Considering all the fact checkers pretty much said that Romney lied more than any candidate in televised debate history, I think it's Obama who will be calling out Romney. Biden did it and kicked Paul's ass, Obama needs to do it too.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Considering all the fact checkers pretty much said that Romney lied more than any candidate in televised debate history, I think it's Obama who will be calling out Romney. Biden did it and kicked Paul's ass, Obama needs to do it too.

No they didn't, that is in "fact" a lie.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
It's not hard to understand at all. Cut all tax rates by 20%. So poor people get a 2% tax break and rich people get a 7% tax break. That equates to $480B less revenue for the government each year.

You're smart enough to run your own business(es) but not smart enough to figure out the only way to make up for the $480B loss in revenue is to "close the loophole" for mortgage interest deduction?

There are multiple loopholes that can be closed, although they have not been specific as to which one which is a problem. No more deducting your yacht as a business expense for entertainment. Same goes with the jet.

Here are several large corporations with huge profits that paid little or no tax: http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2011/03/ten_giant_us_companies_avoidin.html

Start with taxing Exxon Mobile on its $20 billion in profits instead of giving them a tax rebate.

Maybe we can stop giving tax rebates to anyone who has not paid into the system. I know plenty of people who have refunds that exceed their contribution.

I am a HENRY (high earner, not rich yet) and I see increased income tax hurting me the most. Most of my income is earned, not investment earnings, and I don't make enough to pay someone to find tax loopholes. We can talk about the marginal utility of the dollar and all of that, but when it comes down to it there is nobody looking out for my interests. We are all viewed as the evil one percenters. We have been demonized, we have too much as it is, we should share our wealth. If someone is telling me they want to close loopholes (none of which I use) then I am all for it.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Tonight should be a cinch for Obama.

Hammer the (lack of) details, channel Bill Clinton's convention message. Stop tripping over himself, this isn't about him, this isn't about Mitt. It's about a plan forward, the future goals of America.

Give it to us. Romney has failed to do so. Up the salesmanship of the salesman cause he isn't selling you anything but smoke and mirrors. Is that so hard to beat?

That little webpage has more fight in it than Obama did the first debate.

But what is Obama's vision? All we get is more hopity changity class warfare, spread the wealth.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
Romney's plan:
Reduce income tax on all earned income
Close tax loopholes (which ones? unsure.)
Limit deductions (to what? unsure.)
Reduce spending

Obama's plan:
Increase taxes on the wealthy
Increase estate taxes (tax money that has already been taxed just because it is being given to someone else.)
Increase capital gains taxes
Create more tax credits for the poor

I don't need to know the details of what loopholes Romney will close. I don't care because at least Romney is trying to do something other than raise taxes. Obama is going right for the easy solution - just raise taxes on the rich and give money to the poor. If Romney fails he can always fall back on Obama's plan and just raise taxes.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011
But what is Obama's vision? All we get is more hopity changity class warfare, spread the wealth.

Are you suggesting that you feel the wealth should be concentrated into a small minority? At what level should the rest of humanity live? Poverty? Bare minimum? Slightly above the bare minimum? One paycheck/health problem away from financial ruin?

Have you thought this through? Do you truly believe that wealth should be concentrated to a smaller minority than what we had during the Rockefeller years?

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m.../03/fact-checking-denver-presidential-debate/

I'd say both were terrible. Either way there's a lot of lies in that debate.

Let's say you were neutral, and you saw the following figure. Lies told by each party candidate:

Democrat | Republican
=================
53 | 53

To monovillage, that result would be "OMG OBUMMER TOLD 53 LIES!!" and would totally disregard the 53 lies that Romney spoke. Likewise some of the die hard left-wingers here would do the same thing in favor of Obama.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007

Exactly! Obama's plan is the easiest solution, lowest common denominator. "Increase taxes." That should be our fallback plan, not the initial solution.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
Exactly! Obama's plan is the easiest solution, lowest common denominator. "Increase taxes." That should be our fallback plan, not the initial solution.

Well it's pretty simple logic; the wealthy in this country have the biggest-ever ratio of wealth versus the poor, so in other words the wealthy are doing better right now then they ever have been. The poor and middle class are doing badly, and there is a huge deficit. Let the ones who got the free gift pay back to their country what they were given. The GOP talk so much about lowering the deficit, but when it comes time to do so, they only want the money to pay for that deficit lowering to come from someone else's pocket.

randomrogue

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2011

In 2007 the richest 1% of the American population owned 34.6% of the country's total wealth, and the next 19% owned 50.5%. Thus, the top 20% of Americans owned 85% of the country's wealth and the bottom 80% of the population owned 15%.

Financial inequality was greater than inequality in total wealth, with the top 1% of the population owning 42.7%, the next 19% of Americans owning 50.3%, and the bottom 80% owning 7%.

However, after the Great Recession which started in 2007, the share of total wealth owned by the top 1% of the population grew from 34.6% to 37.1%, and that owned by the top 20% of Americans grew from 85% to 87.7%. The Great Recession also caused a drop of 36.1% in median household wealth but a drop of only 11.1% for the top 1%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_in_the_United_States

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
Are you suggesting that you feel the wealth should be concentrated into a small minority? At what level should the rest of humanity live? Poverty? Bare minimum? Slightly above the bare minimum? One paycheck/health problem away from financial ruin?

Have you thought this through? Do you truly believe that wealth should be concentrated to a smaller minority than what we had during the Rockefeller years?

No, he is suggesting it isn't your money to redistribute.

I would think we had a problem with poverty in America if we didn't all have cell phones, cars, big screen TVs, computers, data plans, gadgets galore, cable TV, internet, and have a yearly average of nearly 9 liters of pure ethyl alcohol consumed per capita.

I've been around the world. I once saw a family living in a house made out of a couple of pallets nailed to a banana tree. That is poverty.

I had renters that lived in poverty. They were on section 8 housing and were responsible for a small portion of rent. Being poor meant they barely had enough money to get their hair AND nails done and still go out drinking!

America doesn't have a problem with poverty. America has a problem called "living outside of your means." We all witness it every day of our lives. Go to the unemployment office and see how many people have smart phones.