Mitsubishi DLP issues

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I had bought a 65" wd-65c9 dlp few years back. Current the thing has about 4600 hours on it. And it just popped up with a single white dot on the screen. Upon further inspection there are quite a few black dots, but thos stick out like the single white spot. Doing some research the cause is a dlp chip that runs around 170, or around $200 if you waste your time dealing with mitsubishi on have them replace the chip and charge you the labor portion which runs more than the part itself cost at $200. I going with the cheaper diy option. Anyways, I'm also getting some light around the edges of the screen when the screen is black, what would cause that? I can't seem to find anything the definitively says what that issue would be from. I'm leaning toward dust around somewhere or something like that. I don't think its a lamp itself issue, but will probably also order one of those when I order the chip just to have ready for when it does crap out. So has anyone else here with a dlp had any issues with a halo type on a black screen?

Last edited:

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Just a follow up in case anyone ever has the same issue regarding the white halo effect around the edges. I finally got around to replacing the dlp chip i received months ago from shopjimmy.com. It was a fairly simple procedure getting the light engine out and getting to the chip. Upon taking the old chip out, just a visual inspect of the microscopic mirror side showed significant clouding around the edges so I was pretty stoked about that being the potential culprit. I put the new chip in buttoned everything up. I didn't put the new bulb in as I figured once the old goes out then I stick it in. Anyways, I turned it on and the dots and the halo was gone and the picture looked great.