Misunderstood: Shingles (likely misinformation, it would seem)

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Edit: Consensus here is that this is quackery...
Anyway, shingles is no fun to say the least. Get the shingles vaccine!!!

OP:

If you look online it's contended it's caused by the same virus as what causes chicken pox, varicella roster. This guy adamantly asserts that this is absolutely false and explains in detail. This is something:

https://mailchi.mp/medicalmedium.com/shingles-is-not-the-chickenpox-virus?e=633e00525f

Yes, he seems to marketing a book. However, his presentation is remarkable.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Strange that the shingles vaccine works so well since it was apparently based on an unrelated virus. (what a joke)

THIS is how misinformation spreads.... all it takes is a "slick" presentation to persuade some folks.

o_O

Reactions: skyking

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The only thing I'll say is that shingles can present very differently in different people. I think it's probably only the worst cases that give you that painful rash.

I had it years ago after being diagnosed with T2 diabetes. I was very painful but only affected my right arm and no rash. Doc hit with a 5 day course of prednisone and some other drugs and it dissipated in a few days. Got the vaccine a few years ago and always take my D3. Been slacking off on the zinc lately though.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I had shingles, not a fun episode. I suppose it can return, but I got the vaccine since coming down with it, which was about 1993 IIRC. I don't recall seeing a doctor and taking or doing anything not OTC, but I did visit my local pharmacy a time or two seeking relief.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Friend of mine had a bad case of shingles and was incapacitated for several months plus bed-ridden (in agony) for most of that time.

The rash was all over his thighs and abdomen to the point where he couldn't even lie in bed without total pain and sleep without opiates was nearly impossible.

• Wow
Reactions: Charmonium

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I got Shingles a couple days after a close childhood friend killed himself (I guess extreme stress can trigger it).

It was was pretty painful for about a 5-6 weeks from what I remember, and I ended up not being able to travel back for his funeral because it was really, really bad the first two weeks. :(

Edit: The person's claims in the OP's link is a joke.

Reactions: Captante

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Here you go:

"Overall, we rate Medical Medium a Quackery level Pseudoscience website based on promoting miracle cures that are not supported by science.

Founded in 2003 by Anthony William, Medical Medium is a website that publishes pseudoscientific medical and health advice based on alleged communication with a spirit. Anthony William claims to be a Medium, and according to the about page he “was born with the unique ability to converse with the Spirit of Compassion, who provides him with extraordinarily accurate health information that’s far ahead of its time.”

The spirit that advises Anthony William has apparently helped him sell pseudoscientific books."

"Anthony William is not a licensed medical doctor or other formally licensed health care practitioner or provider.''

The more you know...

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Here you go:

"Founded in 2003 by Anthony William, Medical Medium is a website that publishes pseudoscientific medical and health advice based on alleged communication with a spirit. Anthony William claims to be a Medium, and according to the about page he “was born with the unique ability to converse with the Spirit of Compassion, who provides him with extraordinarily accurate health information that’s far ahead of its time.”

The spirit that advises Anthony William has apparently helped him sell pseudoscientific books."

"Anthony William is not a licensed medical doctor or other formally licensed health care practitioner or provider.''

The more you know...

Basically the Alex Jones of " healthcare".

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Well, that strikes me as harsh, but indeed it appears he's a bona fide quack.

Not nearly harsh enough.... this video repost was bad and you should feel bad.

;)

Seriously for a moment though (it won't last I promise!) .... posting this here where MOST folks have at least semi-functioning brains and will lambaste you for it is one thing.

Moron's on Facebook believe this $hit! :oops:

BE CAREFUL about what you post/repost!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Charmonium

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Speaking of which, what ever happened to some of the classics - like the one about how leaving a fan on in a closed room will remove all of the oxygen. Oh, even better, how the pneumatic/hydraulic post in the avg office chair can . . . IDK, be enchanted I suppose thus permitting it to punch through the seat and . . . I'll just stop there.

• Haha

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Speaking of which, what ever happened to some of the classics - like the one about how leaving a fan on in a closed room will remove all of the oxygen. Oh, even better, how the pneumatic/hydraulic post in the avg office chair can . . . IDK, be enchanted I suppose thus permitting it to punch through the seat and . . . I'll just stop there.

1659905641373.jpeg

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You don't think that someone, with no medical (or even a science) degree is trying to advise people concerning their health with reckless claims isn't dangerous?

Seems pretty dangerous to me.
I did not say he wasn't dangerous, I said he isn't as big an asshole as Alex Jones.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Not nearly harsh enough.... this video repost was bad and you should feel bad.

;)

Seriously for a moment though (it won't last I promise!) .... posting this here where MOST folks have at least semi-functioning brains and will lambaste you for it is one thing.

BE CAREFUL about what you post/repost!
You think he's worse than Alex Jones. Fine. Don't tell me what I should feel bad about. All in all we debunked a fraudulent video. Is that something to feel bad about? :rolleyes: What's your trip?

Last edited:
  • Haha

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
None of the friends or family who had shingles characterized it as no big deal. I got the vaccines.
It does vary considerably but I don't recall anyone saying it was no big deal. Apparently it can be quite horrific.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
You think he's worse than Alex Jones. Fine. Don't tell me what I should feel bad about. All in all we debunked a fraudulent video. Is that something to feel bad about? :rolleyes: What's your trip?

You have NO sense of humor at all do you? :p

That guy isn't nearly as famous as Alex Jones but he's the same kind of POS human being.