Mists of Pandaria looks like the best WOW Expansion yet

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dominato3r

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2008
WotLK was the best. Playing with friends and easily setting up raids was what did it for me. I couldn't care less about hardmodes and all that other bullshit. It's just gotten too stale now, and most of the people I played have left. Also Tol Barad and Wintergrasp are NOT world PvP areas, or what world PvP should be.

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
WotLK was the best. Playing with friends and easily setting up raids was what did it for me. I couldn't care less about hardmodes and all that other bullshit. It's just gotten too stale now, and most of the people I played have left. Also Tol Barad and Wintergrasp are NOT world PvP areas, or what world PvP should be.

Perhaps it got stale too fast because everything was easy and accessible as you said?

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
btw, I think it's fair to compare WOW to SP games like Skyrim. Both are very similar, basically adventuring in a fantasy land.

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Some of you were to young and were not there when WoW actually became the best similar to a disease outbreak. Never in history had a simulation of that magnitude with so many human and natural reaction anyone even remotely think it is possible to simulate.

The Corrupted Blood event is the best event in history of gaming where the game became reality. It was unintentional, it was uncontrollable, it was a total chaos and it was one of the many moments you will never forget.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I personally bought Burning Crusade but soon after quit the game and ignored LIch King and Cataclysm. Cataclysm in particular I hear is something of a disappointment.

Mists of Pandaria looks awesome. A new class and race, and more emphasis on world pvp instead of instanced pvp. Much better.

World pvp...lol. Little to late on that, Blizzard and MMO pvp don't go together in same sentence.

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
I started playing WoW a little before patch 1.3 and quit this past May. One of the biggest reasons for me quitting was the excessive homogenization of the classes.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I don't see why you complain about leveling being easy. Leveling is always more interesting the first time you do it, because it's all new to you. I have a ridiculous number of high-level characters (7 85s, 5 80s, 1 70), and let me tell you... I do not enjoy leveling them after the third or fourth time. I'd rather just hit a button, get max level and some gear to go with it and just do "end game."

But anyway, I've always had a lot more fun in WoW when I played outside the box. An example of this is how I would try to use the healing circles on Halazi (ZA lynx boss) to heal me (when tanking), but make sure to keep him out of it. It's small, but somewhat fun to just do.

Seriously? You play that much and you have no idea they have books?

Actually... that's not surprising at all. The books aren't really pushed through WoW, and I don't recall seeing them even mentioned in WoW's launcher. The part that's annoying is that things will occur in WoW, and they'll make absolutely no sense. It's about the equivalent of stepping out of the movie to go to the bathroom, coming back in, and realizing that you missed some really important story element. The reason is that they do some of the story development in the books now.

A good example of this is Anduin Wrynn (the son of the king of Stormwind). For the longest time, he was just a 5 year-old boy, and then he suddenly grew up and throws power word shields around and stuff. It makes a lot more sense if you read the book and see that he's training under Velen (leader of the Draenei) to become a priest.

it had more substance more cool little things to discover and actually some of the little obscure things got you the biggest rewards, ie Thunderfury.

The first part (cool little things) was probably more or less because the game was new and you were new to the game. People that just come into playing WoW get to experience everything that we've had for nearly 7 years (WoW turns 7 in about a week).

I guess you could say that not everything is as obscure as Thunderfury, but that's also because Thunderfury was a ridiculously annoying RNG-fuck. We would go back into Molten Core (while doing Blackwing Lair) just to try and get the last binding. If the player couldn't make it, someone else would play his character just in case it dropped, but guess what? It never dropped.

They've fixed people getting screwed over by making legendary weapons take forever to get (in my opinion, too long in 10-mans), but I do agree that there's not as much of a challenge. From what I've read about the next legendary (Fangs of the Father), it should be much more interesting, as it will almost be a mix between the old class epics (Benediction/Anathema and Rhok'Delar/No-One-Ever-Used-The-Staff) and current legendary quests.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
my god, I looked it up - 14 years later, UO still has 100k players.

The shocking thing is I'm kinda interested in playing again

(the point of this post: WoW won't die)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
my god, I looked it up - 14 years later, UO still has 100k players.

The shocking thing is I'm kinda interested in playing again

(the point of this post: WoW won't die)

Funny, I just looked up UO this week to see how it's doing. Still going strong. I was considering the same thing.

I first tried UO when it first came out, but didn't play more than a couple days. Even bought some expansions after that to maybe play but didn't.

I'm glad it's still online. They sure don't seem to market it.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Funny, I just looked up UO this week to see how it's doing. Still going strong. I was considering the same thing.

I first tried UO when it first came out, but didn't play more than a couple days. Even bought some expansions after that to maybe play but didn't.

I'm glad it's still online. They sure don't seem to market it.

I don't think they are thinking they'd get new players that would stick around.

At its peak it had 250k subscribers. Its lowest in the past few years was around 80k. It has a bunch of die hard fans, and they continue to update it, but its so outdated.

Classic UO is one of the best MMOs ever. Its to bad they fucked shit up. As of now they've completely and fundamentally changed the entire gameplay multiple times.

Asheron's Call was another great and underrated game. Its 12 years old this month, has less than 10k, maybe even less than 5k at this point. Its only a matter of time before it gets shut down IMHO. UO on the other hand will be kicking because of its dedicated user base.

Last edited:

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
This expansion just makes me laugh. Blizzard is great for taking what's widely accepted in pop culture and incorporating it into WoW. I'm sure it'll do very well, since the majority of the current subscribing population will embrace such content.

RE: UO
Definitely one of the greatest MMOs to release - a classic. Sadly, it's outdated in graphics and interface, otherwise I'd be playing it still. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy games with degenerative graphics, but there is a reason I have a computer that's capable of next generation candy. I've gone back and tried several times, but the changes they've made with the addition of Samurai Empire seemed like a poor attempt at enticing a less-than-ideal player base. Prior to that, Trammel was of course the downfall to the style of gameplay that UO encouraged, allowing for the infamous carebear population to explode.
Feel free to read my ramblings as a disgruntled old-timer. I won't be bothered, but you may be. ;)
Sadly, this is where MMO gaming in general took a dive for the worse with the new norm being, "give them easier gameplay, easier rewards, easier functional interaction." I'm all for a more intuitive interface to save yourself the pains of carpal tunnel, but a challenge is still the primary purpose of playing a game. Is it not? Not according to mainstream MMO'ers today, apparently. There seems to be a large confusion between "new" and "new challenges" for the horizon of gaming. As long as it's just "new", it'll captivate the attention span of ADD kids around the world. The challenge part isn't nearly as important because then we'll reduce the amount of subscribers that will readily give us their money.

It's the first MMO to have a serious story-telling I think.
That was FFXI. Amazingly story driven missions and quests. That game was one of the few MMOs I've played (which is just about all of them) where I felt rewarded and challenged for doing something just to advance my knowledge of the world's progression.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
This expansion just makes me laugh. Blizzard is great for taking what's widely accepted in pop culture and incorporating it into WoW. I'm sure it'll do very well, since the majority of the current subscribing population will embrace such content.

RE: UO
Definitely one of the greatest MMOs to release - a classic. Sadly, it's outdated in graphics and interface, otherwise I'd be playing it still. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy games with degenerative graphics, but there is a reason I have a computer that's capable of next generation candy. I've gone back and tried several times, but the changes they've made with the addition of Samurai Empire seemed like a poor attempt at enticing a less-than-ideal player base. Prior to that, Trammel was of course the downfall to the style of gameplay that UO encouraged, allowing for the infamous carebear population to explode.
Feel free to read my ramblings as a disgruntled old-timer. I won't be bothered, but you may be. ;)
Sadly, this is where MMO gaming in general took a dive for the worse with the new norm being, "give them easier gameplay, easier rewards, easier functional interaction." I'm all for a more intuitive interface to save yourself the pains of carpal tunnel, but a challenge is still the primary purpose of playing a game. Is it not? Not according to mainstream MMO'ers today, apparently. There seems to be a large confusion between "new" and "new challenges" for the horizon of gaming. As long as it's just "new", it'll captivate the attention span of ADD kids around the world. The challenge part isn't nearly as important because then we'll reduce the amount of subscribers that will readily give us their money.

That was FFXI. Amazingly story driven missions and quests. That game was one of the few MMOs I've played (which is just about all of them) where I felt rewarded and challenged for doing something just to advance my knowledge of the world's progression.

Its because everyone wants to be the next WoW.

WoW is, unless Blizzard is hugely successful with Titan, a one time fluke. No one(except maybe Blizzard) will have a MMO that is as successful as WoW. Its like developers go for broke trying to cater to the lowest common denominator, and then they fail because they are to Blizzard/WoW. We already have WoW, theres not a market for another WoW. If developers set their sites lower, the could be profitable without a million subscribers. They could probably be profitable with less than 500k. But no the mainstream developers keep trying to replicate WoW's success and fail miserably. They launch with tons of subscribers and then quickly fade into obscurity or shut down.

I really wish they would remake UO, or hell at this point I'd take them going through with a true UO Classic server(pre trammel). But alas they never will and EA's already canceled 2-3 UO sequels.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
Its because everyone wants to be the next WoW.

WoW is, unless Blizzard is hugely successful with Titan, a one time fluke. No one(except maybe Blizzard) will have a MMO that is as successful as WoW. Its like developers go for broke trying to cater to the lowest common denominator, and then they fail because they are to Blizzard/WoW. We already have WoW, theres not a market for another WoW. If developers set their sites lower, the could be profitable without a million subscribers. They could probably be profitable with less than 500k. But no the mainstream developers keep trying to replicate WoW's success and fail miserably. They launch with tons of subscribers and then quickly fade into obscurity or shut down.

I really wish they would remake UO, or hell at this point I'd take them going through with a true UO Classic server(pre trammel). But alas they never will and EA's already canceled 2-3 UO sequels.

Agreed. I was very excited trying out Rift until I saw that it was completely modeled off of WoW with a few twists and turns with the class system and environment.

A new generation AC or UO would see tremendous acceptance at this time, IMHO. WoW granted an explosion to the genre and as players mature over time they'll want something "more demanding." I truly believe - or hope - the market will eventually speak for itself.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Well, I enjoyed Rift for what it was. They made a decent attempt at WoW mimicking compared to other studios. They've also been extremely fervent updating content and one of the best world PVP elements I've ever seen. I'll honestly be surprised if Star Wars has as strong a showing.

s1njin

Apr 11, 2011
Well, I enjoyed Rift for what it was. They made a decent attempt at WoW mimicking compared to other studios. They've also been extremely fervent updating content and one of the best world PVP elements I've ever seen. I'll honestly be surprised if Star Wars has as strong a showing.

I really didn't enjoy Rift at all. It was a game where everybody could pretty much do anything. Talk about a game I had no fear in. Everybody was Superman. No true classes means no true roles - just a bunch of crazy button mashing with pretty (admittedly very pretty) graphics.

I like roles, structure, and purpose. I'll say it again, give me EQ 1 with upgraded graphics.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
most testers I know love it.. including myself.

Dunno - felt like a reskinned WoW to me. As in nothing different in the gameplay at all.

Guessing that must change after the first dozen levels or something? I was very underwhelmed...need more than voice acting.

Problem is Rift PvP is as bad as WoW's was in WotLK - fights lasting seconds unless healing is going on.

And more on topic: WoW vanilla was great, had a blast. BC was awesome. WotLK good. Cataclysm...meh after hitting 85.
They made the game incredibly easy not counting the raiding scene which I have no time for. And easy means running into the grinding waaay too soon. For me the most fun is during the leveling, not at max level.

Last edited:

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
What makes WoW appears to be bad isn't the game, it is the players. Once upon time there were people who can't beat Mario. These people won't go online as those who do are nerds. Nowadays, those who failed at Mario continously causing games to be nerfed. They do so by making QQ posts in forums and they QQ about everything. Technical forums were once used by users to seek help from other users on how to fix their computers. Nowadays, forums are flooded by balance, nerf and fix your sh!t posts. Imagine the game chess was invented today, guess how many posts about OP queen and UP king there will be.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
I didn't even make it through my 30 day trial.

I had a WoW account for vanilla and BC. Had kids, etc. after that and didn't play anymore. Forgot my Battle.net ID, had long since killed the email associated with it, so I was SOL and had to start over.

So, make a new account, grab the latest combo box from Best Buy, load it up, patch it up, fire it up.

So so SO disgusted. Talk about spoon feeding me !!! Mobs that used to be aggressive were now passive. No fear of dying. Leveling up like mad. This isn't what I thought I was getting into.

This was - garbage.

I cancelled before they started to bill me. I'm done w/ WoW unless they use their billions of dollars to carve out a couple servers w/ Vanilla and MAYBE BC with the 'old rules'. This new flavor of it all is just awful.

In defense of blizzard, I hear that they tweaked regen for the first ten levels or so, but afterwards it's pretty normal from level 15 on.

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
What makes WoW appears to be bad isn't the game, it is the players. Once upon time there were people who can't beat Mario. These people won't go online as those who do are nerds. Nowadays, those who failed at Mario continously causing games to be nerfed. They do so by making QQ posts in forums and they QQ about everything. Technical forums were once used by users to seek help from other users on how to fix their computers. Nowadays, forums are flooded by balance, nerf and fix your sh!t posts. Imagine the game chess was invented today, guess how many posts about OP queen and UP king there will be.

lol, nice

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
My thoughts exactly. After that it started going down hill fast.

I think you really mean that Ulduar was what made Wrath of the Lich King good. :p

Although, I do think that Naxxramas served an interesting purpose. It essentially gave players a way to gear for Ulduar through raiding which doesn't seem all that common anymore. People just want to do heroics, get purples and get into raids. These players usually end up being completely uncoordinated and unable to follow simple instructions, or do anything but mash buttons.

I'm interested and worried about Looking For Raid at the same time. I think it will be an interesting tool, but the amount of terrible players in World of Warcraft is rather astounding. Plus, Warsong is in my Battlegroup, and the last thing I need are Portuguese players that cannot speak English in my raid group.

LgFriess

Nov 17, 2008
It seems to me by making the game more "accessible," they've removed the game part. Seriously, what is the point of leveling a character anymore? They should just give you a semi-equipped lvl 85 when you log on. No need for a world either. Nothing happens in the world anyway and you rarely run across other players anymore. A couple of major cities would be fine. Professions? No game depth there. Exploration? No need and you just fly over the content anyway. All my friends have long since left and I canceled about 6 months ago.

Use to be a great game. It's really just gotten too old, too boring, too much of the same and has LOST the old RPG adventure charm it once had. I'm really hoping SWTOR and GW2 bring some of that back.