Mists of Pandaria looks like the best WOW Expansion yet

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
So, "Whaa whaa WOW hate." Followed by "GRRR TOR me hate!"

:thumbsup:

I didn't mean to hate on TOR. My point was as long as MMOs in general are still being made using the basic gameplay structure that has been in place since Everyquest, there is no chance of it every overtaking wow, regardless of how good it is. TOR is just the latest of a long line of MMOs that have been released since wow.

I personally think TOR will be outstanding, but that is irrelevant to my point.

We need a reboot of the entire MMO experience.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I liked WotLK, and Cata was fun for like a month? I hit 85 on both my main guys and didn't really care to get into raiding.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
See, I can't really do games like Skyrim or Mass Effect after having played WOW. WOW was so vibrant and alive and Mass Effect in comparison is just sort of lonely and dead.

But the monk class will be the first class without an auto-attack and to me at least it looks genuinely more interesting than the death knight.

and pandaren are just cool. Better than Goblins or Worgen.

only problem is that to play mists of pandaria you have to buy vanilla + 3 expansions it looks like. I stopped after burning crusade, and so would have to fork over like $120 (3 x $40) for it. Ugh.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
See, I can't really do games like Skyrim or Mass Effect after having played WOW. WOW was so vibrant and alive and Mass Effect in comparison is just sort of lonely and dead.

But the monk class will be the first class without an auto-attack and to me at least it looks genuinely more interesting than the death knight.

only problem is that to play mists of pandaria you have to buy vanilla + 3 expansions it looks like. I stopped after burning crusade, and so would have to fork over like $120 (3 x $40) for it. Ugh.

Hopefully they will do another digital download deal like they did when cataclysm came out where it was $5 vanilla, $5 bc, $10 WOTLK. Hopefully it would be 5/5/5/10 ($25 for everything older) then regular price on the new xpac.

It was a limited offer though IIRC.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005

Last year around this time, Blizzard had a sale that made it something like $20 to get everything up to Wrath before Cataclysm was released. I wouldn't be surprised if they did something again before the next expansion.

Edit: Beaten by Wyndru.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
I got bored of Cata real quick. I leveled 2 toons to 85 legit and botted two other ones.

everything I"ve heard is that cataclysm is the most disappointing yet. BC gave: 2 new races and a new class per faction, as well as flying mounts

WOLK...didn't play, but there was a new class at least.

Cata really just gave you new skins in goblins and worgen.

Worgen especially were a weird choice.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
Lol yeah, just check out MMO champion after wow releases an expansion or declining sales reports. The place fills up with "WoW is dead" threads. It's been like that since BC came out years ago. Or when a new MMORPG game comes out it's immediately a "WoW killer". Like when Rift was coming it was predicted by some to be the demise of WoW.

It doesn't matter, Blizzard has tons of money and they are still cranking out content so I highly doubt this train will stop anytime soon.

Maybe they should narrow down from 10 billion servers to 10.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
Wow was a boring game the day it came out and will be the day it goes off line. The only thing that was interesting about it was the other people you played with.

It wasn't boring when it first came out, imo, if you like exploring the world. You have to give them credit for an interesting and eye-catching environment, anyway. I gave it a year and pretty much saw what I cared to see. After that, yes, it was pretty boring. It also got to the point where there was so much schoolkid BS going on in various chat channels (Barrens chat, ugh) that it made the game even less attractive. That, and PvP was meaningless.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
I loved PVP. Especially ganking an opposing faction player while he was out doing his "kill 15 baddies" quest. Made for great fun. Otherwise, games like that are a huge yawn.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
12/20 is coming. Blizzard is shaking in their boots. ;)

Wtf is 12/20 and why would Blizzard be shaking in their boots? Is that the Star Wars MMO because I heard from beta testers that it isn't very good at all.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Wtf is 12/20 and why would Blizzard be shaking in their boots? Is that the Star Wars MMO because I heard from beta testers that it isn't very good at all.

It's the first MMO to have a serious story-telling I think.

Though as to class and race variety, not to mention environment design overall and class mechanics, it looks like it falls short. Also, the animations are a little off.

But KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 had great stories.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Talent system revamp, pandas, pet battles all look miserable. Its a ramp up to attract lots of younger players more willing to buy pointless dlc. Once blizzard's yet to be named MMO in development goes live WoW can go free to play and be full of pokemon battling panda bears. Only part of it i would want to try would be playing a monk. I deleted a character to play a goblin on my home server, and have no intention of deleting another one this time around. Unless blizzard manages to somehow not flat out dodge this issue this time around then im pretty much done.

this...

12/20/11 the coming of the new king..

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004

most testers I know love it.. including myself.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I can guarantee you Blizzard doesn't give a god damn shit about TOR; at least not from a competitive perspective.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I played WoW with a group of my friends a few years ago, I know they're not overly excited about the new expansion. Currently they're basically waiting around for the next content patch and some of them haven't logged in in the better part of a month, but it seems like they're gradually growing tired of the hamster wheel. Most of them are pretty eager to give SWTOR a go as well, but I think it'll be hard for them to finally give WoW the boot given how 'deep their roots go'.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
WoW is dead.

Some higher-up management types at Activision figured out that they can make more profit by selling the same old content to new audiences, than to make new content for their existing playerbase. So they focus on marketing the game to Russians, then Brazilians, then Mexicans, etc, etc.

They also figured out that any difficulty level will limit their potential market. 10 Million WoW players is nice. But Farmville had 25 million ! So they tried to figure out what they needed to do to get those Farmville players. That is where their attention went the last 2 years. Everything is made easier. Leveling can be done by little blind kids, who don't speak english. Gear is thrown around for free. The lore isn't important. Why develop new content for the existing customers, when most of them are happy with just new gear with higher item-levels ? Make quests quicker. More teleports. Quicker rep. Everything quick and easy. If someone is bored with their character, they can always level more alts.

The game is doomed. It started in the summer of 2009. After Ulduar, when the Colliseum came out. Tigole left (one of the old developers with a true MMO-background). Since then it's only about maximizing profits for Activision, while lowering costs. There is no hope.

Go play Skyrim. Now there is an awesome fantasy-game in a huge and surprising world. Something WoW will never be again.

Those sounds like complaints against WoW since launch.

s1njin

Apr 11, 2011
WoW is dead.

Some higher-up management types at Activision figured out that they can make more profit by selling the same old content to new audiences, than to make new content for their existing playerbase. So they focus on marketing the game to Russians, then Brazilians, then Mexicans, etc, etc.

They also figured out that any difficulty level will limit their potential market. 10 Million WoW players is nice. But Farmville had 25 million ! So they tried to figure out what they needed to do to get those Farmville players. That is where their attention went the last 2 years. Everything is made easier. Leveling can be done by little blind kids, who don't speak english. Gear is thrown around for free. The lore isn't important. Why develop new content for the existing customers, when most of them are happy with just new gear with higher item-levels ? Make quests quicker. More teleports. Quicker rep. Everything quick and easy. If someone is bored with their character, they can always level more alts.

The game is doomed. It started in the summer of 2009. After Ulduar, when the Colliseum came out. Tigole left (one of the old developers with a true MMO-background). Since then it's only about maximizing profits for Activision, while lowering costs. There is no hope.

Go play Skyrim. Now there is an awesome fantasy-game in a huge and surprising world. Something WoW will never be again.

I didn't even make it through my 30 day trial.

I had a WoW account for vanilla and BC. Had kids, etc. after that and didn't play anymore. Forgot my Battle.net ID, had long since killed the email associated with it, so I was SOL and had to start over.

So, make a new account, grab the latest combo box from Best Buy, load it up, patch it up, fire it up.

So so SO disgusted. Talk about spoon feeding me !!! Mobs that used to be aggressive were now passive. No fear of dying. Leveling up like mad. This isn't what I thought I was getting into.

This was - garbage.

I cancelled before they started to bill me. I'm done w/ WoW unless they use their billions of dollars to carve out a couple servers w/ Vanilla and MAYBE BC with the 'old rules'. This new flavor of it all is just awful.

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
WoW is dead.

Comparing a MMO to a single player game, nice... and WoW was never meant to have a huge map, it was pretty small in comparison to any of the decent RPG's that were out at the time.

Height of WoW was early-mid WotLK imo.

Agreed, or end of BC.

I do think WoW is well past it's prime, but there are people who still enjoy it...isn't EQ1 still running?

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
What does english have to do with anything? I know this may blow your mind, but there are many other languages spoken in the world!

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
I do think WoW is well past it's prime, but there are people who still enjoy it...isn't EQ1 still running?

EQ1, nor any other games have 10 million active accounts. WoW will eventually dies, and the one game that kills it will be from Blizzard.

Ross Ridge

Dec 21, 2009
EQ1, nor any other games have 10 million active accounts. WoW will eventually dies, and the one game that kills it will be from Blizzard.

I'm not sure what your point is here, but as already has been pointed out in the this thread, FarmVille has more. And remember that most of World of Warcraft's subscribers are in Asia, where they pay very, very little, probably less than the average FarmVille payer, to play the game.

I don't see why World of Warcraft couldn't countinue running with only 1 milllion North American and European subscribers (ie. the ones that actually pay $15/mo.), or even just 100,000. EverQuest and EverQuest II have subscription numbers in that later range and Sony Online Entertainment still continues to pump out expansions for these games.

World of Warcraft might be dead to you for whatever reason, but an MMORPG's subscription numbers (that is, real $15-a-month subscription numbers), have to drop really low before it becomes unprofitable and truly worth pulling the plug on.