Mississippi Church Refuses to Marry Black Couple

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
At least they are racists in the open so people know who and where they are and can avoid them like plague. It's the closet-racist assholes that I truely hate. They are like dog poop on the sidewalk in the dark, you step on them and curse at yourself afterward for not being able to see.

"I'm not a racist, but... <racial group> + <fucked up, blatant racial stereotype>"

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
Why would they 'frequent' (per the OP) that church to begin with? Racism this strong has to be obvious across the board, right?

Because most racists keep it on the down-low unless they're around other racists. Kind of like some people on this forum. They're too cowardly to come out and say it, like the Klan or AB. They speak in code in innuendo.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I agree the pastor is a spineless coward, but the collective church made the decision. And there is only one penalty that is appropriate, THAT CHURCH SHOULD LOSE ITS TAX EXEMPT STATUS, until they straighten up their act. Part of which may involve the church booting its racists elements out of the church.

As this week Doonesbury Cartoon strip points out Jim Crowe is back, but its long past time for Washington to take action and slow Jim Crowe down.
Then you are in favor of such churches getting involved directly in politics because that is what they give up for that tax exemption

The church should be open to a civil lawsuit for breach of contract and public ridicule, no more no less.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I agree the pastor is a spineless coward, but the collective church made the decision. And there is only one penalty that is appropriate, THAT CHURCH SHOULD LOSE ITS TAX EXEMPT STATUS, until they straighten up their act. Part of which may involve the church booting its racists elements out of the church.

As this week Doonesbury Cartoon strip points out Jim Crowe is back, but its long past time for Washington to take action and slow Jim Crowe down.

This 250%... remove tax exepmt status. Fuck them in their ass with a nice retroactive tax bill.. let them preach their politics for real instead of hiding behind Jesus...

Last edited:

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
This is what happens when you use a 2000+ year old work of fiction to dictate your morals.

dingster1

Mar 25, 2004
So they were good enough to attend services, possibly pay tithes/dues but not get married...

Yeah some "Pastor"...

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
This is what happens when you use a 2000+ year old work of fiction to dictate your morals.

Though if they actually followed the teaching of said work, they would have been welcomed.

I don't blame the Constitution for creating Paulbots, just as I don't blame the bible for ignorant racists.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Though if they actually followed the teaching of said work, they would have been welcomed.

I don't blame the Constitution for creating Paulbots, just as I don't blame the bible for ignorant racists.

For some reason a lot people seem to use religious documents to justify them acting like assholes to other people that are different from then.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
These are the type of people the GOP cater to

But we all Mooslim is the evil religion

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
want to put money in the basket, even though your skin is dark? No problem.

Want to have a wedding ceremony in the same church? Get out Negro.

/facepalm

What I love the most is that there are a number of prominent posters in this forum who say things like "racism is largely a non-issue in this country" when discussing anything to do with Obama, yet large swaths of the south show in polls that it's far from gone - and i s in fact still a dominant social factor in many parts of this country.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007

The Bible doesn't say anything about black people being inferior or not allowed to get married. This has nothing to do with Christianity or the Bible.... it has to do with racism still being alive and well in Mississippi.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
OMFG people today are too f^&((ng sensitive. Every chance someone gets to make a stink about race they do. Why not just choose another venue? Who says you have a right to this particular place? Yes there are ignorant people who still hold prejudices and there WILL ALWAYS BE. Get over yourself. Go where you're wanted and go on with life.

dude they attend the church, they booked the church which means they talked to the church leaders.... are you stupid or just dumb?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
so the church they go to, wanted to get married in said no becaues they are black?? wtf.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
I'd like to thank Mississippi here. Living in the South, every time my state doesn't something remarkably stupid or backwards, I can always count on Mississippi to one up us in idiocy. So thanks Mississippi for being the crap worst state in this nation, so the rest of us don't feel so bad.

polarmystery

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
The Bible doesn't say anything about black people being inferior or not allowed to get married. This has nothing to do with Christianity or the Bible.... it has to do with racism still being alive and well in Mississippi.

Not true.

Genesis 28:1: "And Isaac called Jacob, and blessed him, and charged him, and said unto him, Thou shalt not take a wife of the daughters of Canaan."

Canaan was a decedent of Ham, who was one of the first mentioned black people in the bible:

Origin of the "Curse of Ham"

Noah curses Ham by Gustave Dore

While Genesis 9 never says that Ham was black, he became associated with black skin, through folk-etymology deriving his name from a similar, but actually unconnected, word meaning "dark" or "brown".[26] The next stage, in the first half of the 1st millennium BC, seems to have been Jewish folk-tales aimed at explaining why some of the world's peoples have black skin: according to one folk-tale preserved in the Babylonian Talmud, God cursed Ham because he broke a prohibition on sex aboard the ark and was cursed with blackness; according to another, Noah cursed him because he castrated his father.[27] Thus two distinct traditions existed, one explaining dark skin as the result of a curse on Ham, the other explaining slavery by the separate curse on Canaan.[28] The two concepts had first become merged in the 7th century by Muslim writers, the product of a culture with a long history of enslaving black Africans; the origin and persistence of the "Curse of Ham", in which Ham, blackness and slavery became a single curse, was thus the result of Islam's need for a justifying myth.[29]

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I am completely surprised at this day and age, Mississippi is still like this. I personally think that what they are doing is most definitely against the law, rejecting the couple based on their race while allowing white couples to wed there. If this church be allowed to set a precedence like this, it would set the civil rights movement back 50 years. They have clearly broken the law and discriminated.

I believe the couple should raise legal actions against this church, they have been too lenient.

However with this said, let's not blame the entire church for this, only some high ranking members that would be unfair, and it seems the rest of the church don't know about this:

Casey Kitchens, 37, a member of the First Baptist Church of Crystal Springs, said she and most of the congregation were "ashamed" at their church's refusal to marry a black couple, and that they had known nothing about it.
She said: "This is a small, small group of people who made a terrible decision. I'm just ashamed right now that my church would do that. I can't fathom why. How unfair. How unjust. It's just wrong."

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Nothing like Liberals trying to stomp all over peoples beliefs that aren't their own. The church is private property. If they don't want to break with tradition, you don't have the right to force them. Stop trying to force your beliefs all over everyone else you tyrants.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Here's another change for Romney to have a Sista Soldier moment. He could say while that church has the right under the constitution its shameful for religions to treat blacks like second class citizens...

oh wait....I forgot!!

DAMN!

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Why would they 'frequent' (per the OP) that church to begin with? Racism this strong has to be obvious across the board, right?

A lot of racist people will keep it under wraps just fine but have a breaking point. There are countless stories of where a white son will have black friends which his parents are totally fine with. But as soon as their daughter brings home a black man they turn into totally different people. There's a large gray area between the closet racist's who are never outward with displays. And the flat out bigot's who let it be known every chance they get how much they hate minorities. This church sounds like they fall in that middle category.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Nothing like Liberals trying to stomp all over peoples beliefs that aren't their own. The church is private property. If they don't want to break with tradition, you don't have the right to force them. Stop trying to force your beliefs all over everyone else you tyrants.

I don't agree with WHAT they did...but I support their right to do it.

I also think that the couple probably has cause to sue for breach of contract...but that would depend on state law...and the contract itself. (if there even was a written contract)

Gandhi said it best...

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
God created man in his image, just not black man.....huh?

Wait, what????