Mississippi Church Refuses to Marry Black Couple

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
No, not for the reason stated in the article.

The Church owners can cancel for any reason at all. His big toe got hurt and yes even because he's racist. Doesn't make it any more palatable but he/they have that right.

I wonder if that Church is 501c3? Wonder what type of role that will play if any.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
LOL. Time frame means everything. Folks book weddings upwards to a year or longer in advance. Have you ever been married or been part of a wedding? You know the amount of planning and money that is involved? Obviously not.

You think when family from all around the country are flying in/booked hotels that the church can cancel the day before when they already have booked the wedding far in advance.

If you're going to troll a thread, this is the wrong one b/c you're an idiot to think it was alright for the church to do this.

Oh no don't misinterpret. I fully understand the planning involved. Yes I even feel for this couple and think its wrong. But I also realize the right of the Church to decline.

Now let me get this straight. Now that you know this is a racist Church, you then complain to everyone about how racist they are. After a media uproar and people pissing their pants on message boards like you are the Church concedes and allows the marriage to continue. Ask yourself this question. If they didn't want you to get married in their Church because of your race why on earth would you want to be married there? Think of all the people flying in from around the country to be married at a racist Church. Yay......:rolleyes:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Why would they 'frequent' (per the OP) that church to begin with? Racism this strong has to be obvious across the board, right?

Well, seeing as if we're into hypothesizing at the moment, it could be that a core group of church members who felt that change would "destroy their world as they knew it" exploited the situation as a "polite" way to either cull the herd of "undesirables" or prevent the disruptive frequenters from becoming full members of the congregation, thus preserving the purity of their religious beliefs and traditions.

Besides, those frequenters should have caught the hint early on when they saw that tall scorched cross in the back of the church and a big pile of white linen in a corner of the Sanctuary. ;)

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Oh no don't misinterpret. I fully understand the planning involved. Yes I even feel for this couple and think its wrong. But I also realize the right of the Church to decline.

Now let me get this straight. Now that you know this is a racist Church, you then complain to everyone about how racist they are. After a media uproar and people pissing their pants on message boards like you are the Church concedes and allows the marriage to continue. Ask yourself this question. If they didn't want you to get married in their Church because of your race why on earth would you want to be married there? Think of all the people flying in from around the country to be married at a racist Church. Yay......:rolleyes:

Wow. Triple facepalm. This will go completely over your head but they DIDN'T KNOW it was a racist church til a day before they were married.

And anyone who wouldn't want to out this pastor and church are the same folks that allow this racism to continue. Thankfully there are people that won't tolerate it.

Stop trolling b/c you can't be this dense.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Wow. Triple facepalm. This will go completely over your head but they DIDN'T KNOW it was a racist church til a day before they were married.

And anyone who wouldn't want to out this pastor and church are the same folks that allow this racism to continue. Thankfully there are people that won't tolerate it.

Stop trolling b/c you can't be this dense.

Yeah they didn't know. Now they do. Still want to get married there?

Maybe its not the Pastor? Maybe its a silent majority group within the Church itself? What are you going to do? Kick them all out?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Yeah they didn't know. Now they do. Still want to get married there?

Maybe its not the Pastor? Maybe its a silent majority group within the Church itself? What are you going to do? Kick them all out?

This article is completely beyond your understanding or your trolling. Please quote from the article where the couple wanted to still marry there after being told them couldn't get married there due to them being black...

And you wouldn't have to ask the questions in your second paragraph if you read the article.

Now go away. Next time read the article before you post and if you don't understand it, ask and maybe somebody will dumb it down and explain it slowly to you.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
OMFG people today are too f^&((ng sensitive. Every chance someone gets to make a stink about race they do. Why not just choose another venue? Who says you have a right to this particular place? Yes there are ignorant people who still hold prejudices and there WILL ALWAYS BE. Get over yourself. Go where you're wanted and go on with life.

You conservatives suck ass.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

/facepalm

Nobody is saying that they should still get married at the church. What these stories do is highlight just how insanely racist certain parts of this country are. Remember how we keep hearing that racism isn't an issue anymore? Whoops.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
/facepalm

Nobody is saying that they should still get married at the church. What these stories do is highlight just how insanely racist certain parts of this country are. Remember how we keep hearing that racism isn't an issue anymore? Whoops.

Saying racism isn't an issue anymore is basically the tactic that racists use to try to draw attention away from systemic racism. Not surprisingly, this is the tactic that conservatives use. I remember quite a bit of rhetoric from conservative 'journalists' saying, 'well we have a black president now, so racism isn't an issue in this country anymore'.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Christian Racists. They should start a new religion and call themselves something like Oxymorons of Latter Day Segregationists or some other....

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
OMFG people today are too f^&((ng sensitive. Every chance someone gets to make a stink about race they do. Why not just choose another venue? Who says you have a right to this particular place? Yes there are ignorant people who still hold prejudices and there WILL ALWAYS BE. Get over yourself. Go where you're wanted and go on with life.

Assuming you actually mean that and aren't just using it as an excuse to defend bigotry, that's still a pretty fatalistic attitude. "Things suck, don't even try to do anything about it" ...what a terrible outlook on life. How about trying to build a society where people don't irrationally dislike each other because of skin color? Because that sounds like a pretty good idea to me...

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
This article is completely beyond your understanding or your trolling. Please quote from the article where the couple wanted to still marry there after being told them couldn't get married there due to them being black...

And you wouldn't have to ask the questions in your second paragraph if you read the article.

Now go away. Next time read the article before you post and if you don't understand it, ask and maybe somebody will dumb it down and explain it slowly to you.

I've made my point clear. They do not have a right to have their marriage in a racist Church.

Secondly I was hoping you could follow the scenario I was playing out for you. I'ts my fault I didn't explain it better for you to understand. It is one of the possible outcomes of this issue.

If I make you uncomfortable you can use the ignore feature or simply not reply to my comments.

I said good day sir!

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
/facepalm

You missed it too. Thats my failure to explain :(

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
I've made my point clear. They do not have a right to have their marriage in a racist Church.

Actually, they do. They have a contract. The church agreed to provide them with services, and at the last minute reneged. The church has breached their contract, and can and should pay appropriate damages.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Secondly I was hoping you could follow the scenario I was playing out for you. I'ts my fault I didn't explain it better for you to understand. It is one of the possible outcomes of this issue.

If I make you uncomfortable you can use the ignore feature or simply not reply to my comments.

I said good day sir!

The couple has no civil rights to be married there, but they had a contract in all likelihood which gave them legal rights. You can breach a contract, but you must face the consequences of doing so.

Plus, a crafty lawyer could likely nail the church with other causes of action.

Pastor is a spineless cowardly weasel who should be defrocked. He has no business being a pastor.

Last edited:

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Assuming you actually mean that and aren't just using it as an excuse to defend bigotry, that's still a pretty fatalistic attitude. "Things suck, don't even try to do anything about it" ...what a terrible outlook on life. How about trying to build a society where people don't irrationally dislike each other because of skin color? Because that sounds like a pretty good idea to me...

You can call it what you want. In the end all you do is move the bigotry behind closed doors and apparently its been behind closed doors at that Church for some time. I think racism is a cancer within society that will always exist despite our best efforts. It goes much deeper than skin color. It could be what religion you believe or where you're from. That is why I think it is upon those who have been discriminated against (I.E. Muslim, Black, Chinese) that need to hold themselves to a higher standard. Be able to shrug it off and move on with life. If all they do is worry about who doesn't like them then they will never move forward. It will be someone else's fault they didn't succeed.

There's nothing wrong with wanting utopia and you'll have lots of support trying to create it. The sad fact is it will always exist. It's how we deal with it that makes the difference.

That's my opinion and I know it may not be a popular one.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I agree the pastor is a spineless coward, but the collective church made the decision. And there is only one penalty that is appropriate, THAT CHURCH SHOULD LOSE ITS TAX EXEMPT STATUS, until they straighten up their act. Part of which may involve the church booting its racists elements out of the church.

As this week Doonesbury Cartoon strip points out Jim Crowe is back, but its long past time for Washington to take action and slow Jim Crowe down.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
The couple has no civil rights to be married there, but they had a contract in all likelihood which gave them legal rights. You can breach a contract, but you must face the consequences of doing so.

Plus, a crafty lawyer could likely nail the church with other causes of action.

Pastor is a spineless cowardly weasel who should be defrocked. He has no business being a pastor.

Yep, looks like the pastor needs to grow a pair. Hopefully this couple will sue for expenses incurred, including a lawyer, emotional suffering, etc., etc.. So he fears losing his congregation and therefore his income, and because of his actions loses even more.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I agree the pastor is a spineless coward, but the collective church made the decision. And there is only one penalty that is appropriate, THAT CHURCH SHOULD LOSE ITS TAX EXEMPT STATUS, until they straighten up their act. Part of which may involve the church booting its racists elements out of the church.

As this week Doonesbury Cartoon strip points out Jim Crowe is back, but its long past time for Washington to take action and slow Jim Crowe down.

Tax exempt status is related to participation in politics, not whether or not the membership are terrible people. I think we should be very careful before monkeying with tax exempt status for churches as it opens a big can of worms. That being said, there have been a number of churches over the years that absolutely should have had that status stripped from them for naked politicking.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Tax exempt status is related to participation in politics, not whether or not the membership are terrible people. I think we should be very careful before monkeying with tax exempt status for churches as it opens a big can of worms. That being said, there have been a number of churches over the years that absolutely should have had that status stripped from them for naked politicking.

The exemption churches have from anti-discrimination laws needs to be repealed.

I think hes just mixing up the two.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Fixed that for ya. Religion has nothing to do with this. In fact, it would give a giant middle finger to this congregation for their bigotry.

That smacks of wishful thinking on your part, sorry.

I wasn't surprised at all to hear this was a southern baptist congregation. This kind of racist, hypocritical douche-baggery isn't exactly unheard of coming from them. I've had baptists try to sell me their ministry of life and love while making comments of approval about the killing of abortion clinic workers.

There are other denominations which do a far better job "walking their talk" though, I won't judge the multitude over the actions of some deep south baptists.

The couple in the story should be commended for their patience and grace, they could have made a far bigger stink about this. They come across as being better people than the racist old foggies at that church.