Missing one stand off for MSI z77a-g43 MB.

Xenphor

Sep 26, 2007
Well reading on the internet some people say it's okay others say you need all stand offs. The problem I had is that one stand off from my previous motherboard was stuck, attached to a screw. I could not for the life of me get the stand off to come off so I just decided to go without one for my new MB (didn't have any extra).

My setup is this:
0 0 0

0 0 x

0 0 0

the x is where the missing stand off is. I have already installed everything else so I don't plan on flexing the board with any additional components at this time. At the moment all I have installed is one videocard in the pcie 3.0 slot and the CPU.

Last edited:

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
I wouldn't worry about it. What you want to avoid is a standoff in a place where it is not supposed to be, such as a place that can short out circuitry on the rear of the motherboard.

Xenphor

Sep 26, 2007
Well fortunately I was able to get some more stand offs and have corrected the issue.

But I have another question. The CPU 8pin power connector is in the top left portion of the motherboard and there is literally no room there, especially since I have a fan exhausting at the top. What I've had to do is run the 8pin adapter from my power supply over top of everything else in my case and then tie it up at the top. The rest of the cable then goes left to where the 8pin power socket is. In this position, the cable is unfortunately in between the top left portion of my motherbaord (with cpu heatsink+fan blowing towards the top) and an exhaust fan (also at the top).

So I'm basically wondering if this is a decent long term solution? If my case had some more room at the top I would just run the cable from the back of the board to the top, bypassing the need to ziptie the cable off and route it between both fans. It would also be nice not to have a cable extending from the bottom of the case all the way to the top which I'm guessing might impede airflow.

My case is an NZXT source 210

Last edited:

Xenphor

Sep 26, 2007
I managed to make it fit by removing the fan that was there. Now I'm afraid I'm gunna strip the wires over time because it was a very tight fit, especially where the cable arches over the back of the motherboard and into those connectors.

GPz1100

Jun 10, 2001
Whether or not a stand off is present, it's always best to support areas such as the power connector, memory slots, or pcie slots. I've use nonconductive rubber feet before. Sometimes have to a few together to get the height needed.