Missing my best friend's wedding?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
GO GO GO GO

It is a ONCE in a life opportunity. Ten years from now which do you think you'd regret more?? Spending 1,000 dollars you couldn't afford very much, or missing your best friends wedding? I'd hope you'd regret missing your best friends wedding more.

theGlove

Jan 13, 2005

a sudden notice of wedding means that the bride is pregnant.....

as for what you should do, if he is your best friend, suck it in and get your plane tickets already. You say it is in may? That's 2 months notice. Plenty of time to look for cheap airfare tickets. Put a hold on your furniture shopping. What is more important, your friends wedding or a stupid couch that you'll trash up in 6 months?

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Not going to your friend's wedding is saying, "You are not worth the money."

For a causal friend that is not necessarily an insult. For your best friends and close family, that it is just wrong and insulting.

My wife's sister is getting married in May... it is going to cost my wife and I about 2,000 USD.

We are going, even though all the funds are coming out of savings.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
get a united mileage plus credit card, charge $250 of your normal expenses to it, get 25,000 miles for free. Use miles to fly out for free.

as far as hotel i can't help you there

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
open up a fundraising thread for your trip to florida to go to your best friend's wedding... i'm sure some people would paypal a couple bucks or so. i know i would.

BigPoppa

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Try www.studentuniverse.com for your ticket. My ticket to Atlanta was going to be at least $763 from Missoula, MT and I was able to get it for $503 (all fees included in that). Other than that: GO! He's your best friend. Make it happen. Put off getting that couch or 56" DLP or just something and go. You'll instantly regret not going.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: BigPoppa
Try www.studentuniverse.com for your ticket. My ticket to Atlanta was going to be at least $763 from Missoula, MT and I was able to get it for $503 (all fees included in that). Other than that: GO! He's your best friend. Make it happen. Put off getting that couch or 56" DLP or just something and go. You'll instantly regret not going.

yup

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Alphathree33
My best friend just sprung the news on me: He's getting married in May.

I'm not in the wedding party (as it's going to be informal, I don't think there's going to be a wedding party) but obviously he wants me to come.

Unfortunately plane tickets to where his wedding is are about $500, and by the time you add in food, hotel, gifts, and so on, we're talking $1000.

For those of you who follow my random ATOT threads, you'd know I'm in the process of moving to a new condo, buying furniture, and so on, which includes tons of up-front expenses. And I'm still a student for the next two months, so I have no new income to speak of.

Long story short, I can't afford it without digging into my savings.

I've never been to a wedding before, and it IS my best friend. On the other hand, at a time when I'm spending so much money already, I'd feel pretty bad digging into my savings for a two-day trip.

What would you do and why?

do it becaue as u said, it's your BEST friend!

borrow $ from your parents if u have to.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Accipiter22
GO GO GO GO

It is a ONCE in a life opportunity. Ten years from now which do you think you'd regret more?? Spending 1,000 dollars you couldn't afford very much, or missing your best friends wedding? I'd hope you'd regret missing your best friends wedding more.

^ what he said

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I wouldn't go. If he wants his wedding elsewhere, let him have it. You aren't required to go unlike what other folks say.

My brother got married in Australia so I didn't go, simple enough.

Edit: Man, I have read the thread and I can just say I am happy none of you folks are my best friend (except Ryan who understands this). NO ONES wedding should cost YOU a large sum of money to attend. It is pathetic that everyone is telling him he should go, if the guy is his friend, he will understand it.

It's not like you owe the guy anything, just suck it up and tell him you can't afford it. If he doesn't like it, tell him to buy you a ticket.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Feneant2
I wouldn't go. If he wants his wedding elsewhere, let him have it. You aren't required to go unlike what other folks say.

Yeah honestly, I'd view this as just another really expensive party, with a high cost to get their and a high cover charge.

Experience? Whatever. He chose to make in a place thats inconvenient/expensive for other people to get to. He's gonna have to realize that that decision limits the amount of people that can come.

Plain and simple.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

Edit: Man, I have read the thread and I can just say I am happy none of you folks are my best friend. NO ONES wedding should cost YOU a large sum of money to attend. It is pathetic that everyone is telling him he should go, if the guy is his friend, he will understand it.

It's not like you owe the guy anything, just suck it up and tell him you can't afford it. If he doesn't like it, tell him to buy you a ticket.

you didn't go to your own brother's wedding? :confused:
do the two of you not get along?

i would find a way to go to Mars if that was where a sibling of mine chose to get married.

did you "suck it up and tell" your brother "you can't afford it", and that "if he doesn't like it" he can "buy you a ticket?

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Can you not buy a much furniture and go on the trip then save up for the furniture later?

At this point, you CAN afford it righT? it's just that you dont want ot dip into the savings. or will you be in debt if you go on this trip

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade

Edit: Man, I have read the thread and I can just say I am happy none of you folks are my best friend. NO ONES wedding should cost YOU a large sum of money to attend. It is pathetic that everyone is telling him he should go, if the guy is his friend, he will understand it.

i would find a way to go to Mars if that was where a sibling of mine chose to get married.

did you "suck it up and tell" your brother "you can't afford it", and that "if he doesn't like it" he can "buy you a ticket?

My aunt (mom's sister) got married about five years ago in someplace like Tahiti (far off and expensive). It ran over four grand for my parents to attend the wedding when it was all said and done. Sure, for some people that is not an issue, but it is for others.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
right on the cover of jetblue.com they have a deal for orlando... get a rental and drive

ranmaniac

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
If he booked a bunch of hotel rooms, he should at least try to get you a room for free or at a substantial discount, that is if he's really your best friend. If not, then tell him you'll wait for the divorce.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf

My aunt (mom's sister) got married about five years ago in someplace like Tahiti (far off and expensive). It ran over four grand for my parents to attend the wedding when it was all said and done. Sure, for some people that is not an issue, but it is for others.

the OP has the $$ in his savings. he just isn't sure if he wants to part with the $$ versus not attending his best friend's wedding.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002

the OP has the $$ in his savings. he just isn't sure if he wants to part with the $$ versus not attending his best friend's wedding.

Actually the OP says that he's using it to pay other bills right now as well.

Frankly, no one's wedding is worth spending the type of money that the poster above's parents spend to go to tahiti.

Unless it's on them, I see no reason for some selfish jerk to make me pay 4,000 bucks to see them get married.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: RyanSengara

Actually the OP says that he's using it to pay other bills right now as well.

Frankly, no one's wedding is worth spending the type of money that the poster above's parents spend to go to tahiti.

Unless it's on them, I see no reason for some selfish jerk to make me pay 4,000 bucks to see them get married.

He has the savings to pay for the ticket (the OP, not the $4000 person). he's simply opting not to dip into the savings

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
How are you all getting number like $500+ for plane tickets to Florida? As long as you're not in Alaska, Hawaii, or not in the US, you shouldn't have a tough time finding tickets to Orlando or Miami in May. Hell, I just booked a round trip ticket to New York for $59 from Pittsburgh (flying to Europe from there). Check USAirways or JetBlue.