Missile defense system - whatcha think?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Muerto:

<We don't exactly have lasers that can do the job yet.>

That's not entirely accurate. In fact, just the opposite is true. The Air Force is currently testing a laser weapons system that is to be mounted on a Boeing 757 used to targed and diable ICBM's. The technology has been around since the late '80's. The problem is we don't have the technology to fire it throught the atmosphere from the ground and have it do any good. Another aspect is anti-laser technology is quite a bit ahead of laser weaponery. All you have to do is make the missle very shiney and engineer it to spin. The shiney surface reflects most of the laser, and a rotating surface prevents the beam from resting in one spot long enough to do damage.

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Hmm, i tend to agree that the NMD can only protect us from rogue nations that only have a handful of nuclear weapons. I can see the NMD easily overwhelemed. Therefore, if the US is using the argument that the NMD is supposed to protect us from terrorists and not full blown nuclear war, that's pretty useless.

I mean, seeing the different ways that terrorists can bomb us, the NMD is a joke.