Missed out on $400 by two days

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I had three cars for years but wasn't driving much anymore since I mostly work from home now. So I sold my third car on Oct 29th. Apparently Michigan residents have been over paying on car insurance so residents will get a $400 refund for each car covered by an active insurance policy on Oct 31st.

Kinda bothers me that I over paid insurance costs for most of the year but miss out because of an arbitrary date. Would have preferred a prorated option - I mean the data is already available to do that...

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Well, was all the paperwork filed with the state on the day of the sale? October 29th was a Friday, so if not then perhaps you were still the legal owner over the weekend and into November?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Well, was all the paperwork filed with the state on the day of the sale? October 29th was a Friday, so if not then perhaps you were still the legal owner over the weekend and into November?
Unfortunately my insurance agent is a hard working guy who is always on the ball. My requests usually get processed in under 2 hours. Sold the car at noon and it was off my insurance by 1:30pm

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
when i worked in insurance, i couldn't believe how expensive michigan was for personal auto

the no-fault rules and required PIP coverage made it like double the premium for a similar policy in an at-fault state

i think i read that it changed recently though?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
when i worked in insurance, i couldn't believe how expensive michigan was for personal auto

the no-fault rules and required PIP coverage made it like double the premium for a similar policy in an at-fault state

i think i read that it changed recently though?
It's changed some. You can now opt for non-unlimited PIP coverage but, for us, that would have saved us a little under 10% so not exactly a huge change.

That said the refunds are a sign that the rates didn't decrease enough so maybe it will improve some more