misdemeanor attempted possession of stolen property

BMdoobieW

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
The Article

In order to get arrested for "misdemeanor attempted possession of stolen property," would the officers doing the sting had to have clearly told the potential buyers that they would be buying stolen goods? Or would they just have needed to imply it?

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Not even that IIRC. I believe a person has to have reasonable suspicion. If you buying from the back of a white van, you can be reasonably sure the goods are stolen.

BMdoobieW

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
Not even that IIRC. I believe a person has to have reasonable suspicion. If you buying from the back of a white van, you can be reasonably sure the goods are stolen.

Ah, ok. But then why are we allowed to assume that everything for sale on eBay is legit?

Kinnetic

Oct 19, 2005
The article even says, "Undercover officers went to about 24 commercial locations Wednesday and Thursday, purporting to offer stolen cameras and hand-held PlayStations for sale at deep discounts".

The individuals were informed, if they weren't it would be entrapment.

Still,....good point about eBay, everytime I buy something I wonder what honest working person or business this (insert item name) came from. Or maybe we're just being paranoid about eBay, maybe we should give most people more credit for honesty.

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
2 people who work at the shop next to my office got arrested. they were not informed that it was stolen property. rather, they were approached as such: "i need to sell this to feed my family. you can buy it for me for $100." the workers politely declined. "$50?" no. "$30?" they said fine, but as long as he'd get out of their store as they were interfering with the regular flow of business.

naturally, they were 2 of the 16 who got arrested -- and there was no implication of stolen property.

i am angry.

:|

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
I was driving down a two lane road one day and the driver in the car next to me yelled out for me to follow him that he had some speakers he wanted to sell me... I was like :confused: no thank you...

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: tami
2 people who work at the shop next to my office got arrested. they were not informed that it was stolen property. rather, they were approached as such: "i need to sell this to feed my family. you can buy it for me for $100." the workers politely declined. "$50?" no. "$30?" they said fine, but as long as he'd get out of their store as they were interfering with the regular flow of business.

naturally, they were 2 of the 16 who got arrested -- and there was no implication of stolen property.

i am angry.

I think either you are getting just half of the story, or your two neighbors don't have anything to worry about.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

i am angry.

So many cops are trash. It seems like most of them, but that's probably bad press. Certainly far too many are, for the type of responsibility placed on their shoulders.

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
Originally posted by: I Saw OJ
I was driving down a two lane road one day and the driver in the car next to me yelled out for me to follow him that he had some speakers he wanted to sell me... I was like :confused: no thank you...

That same thing happened to me once. Wierd!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

i few years back i was walking through a parking lot to a office max or something and these 2 guys in a white van asked me if i wanted to buy their speakers. i forget what they said exactly but i think they said they got an extra pair from work and they weren't supposed to so they decided to sell them to make money.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: QED

i am angry.

I think either you are getting just half of the story, or your two neighbors don't have anything to worry about.

If the story is exactly as she says they still have cost of hiring lawyers to defend themselves against this nonsense. Unless you have money to burn that is definitely something to worry about.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
ACLU should be getting involved any moment now, that is, unless the police said that the item was a stolen item. But, some of that story sounds pretty bogus... How'd they net 20k with so few arrests and selling such small ticket items?? I'm suspecting "come on, I'll sell it to you for $10" was met with the shop owner taking $10 from the cash register... "AHA! That's the money that's used to help support crime here... we're confiscating all the money in your register."

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000

i am angry.

I'd agree. Maybe they just weren't paying particularly close attention, and didn't notice the whole "this is stolen" bit?

Pocahontas

Jan 21, 2005

i am angry.

if the guy was interupting business, then they should have called the police. No one pays $30 just to shoo someone away from their place of work.

A reasonable person would not believe that a guy on the street would sell a high end plasma TV for $100.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Linflas

i am angry.

If the story is exactly as she says they still have cost of hiring lawyers to defend themselves against this nonsense. Unless you have money to burn that is definitely something to worry about.

If it really is exactly as she described, they don't need a stinkin lawyer.

I can't see how a single person could believe that a crime was committed beyond any reasonable doubt... much less get a jury of 12 to all unanimously agree.

But I think it's more likely we are only getting half of the story...

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

i am angry.

Thats fvcking bullsh|t.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: pontifex

i few years back i was walking through a parking lot to a office max or something and these 2 guys in a white van asked me if i wanted to buy their speakers. i forget what they said exactly but i think they said they got an extra pair from work and they weren't supposed to so they decided to sell them to make money.

The white van speaker scam hs been going on for a very long time. I have been approached three times that I can remember and even actually looked at the speakers the first time before I decided it was likely stolen goods and walked away. Very very high pressure sales techniques were used as I tried to back away.

edit: for typo

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: D1gger

The white van speaker scam hs been going on for a very long time. I have been approached three times that I can remember and even actually looked at the speakers the first time before I decided it was likely stolen goods and walked away. Very very high pressure sales techniques were used as I tried to back away.

Yeah, I've seen that happen.

What would be interesting is if someone who was wise to such things called his college buddies with a pickup truck, and had them wait beside the van for the two scammers to leave it unattended, then while they're distracted by a supposedly naive buyer, have them ferry a half-dozen sets from the back of the open van to the bed of the pickup, and then haul ass out of there.

Not that I've ever seen that happen.

;)

- M4H

Rock Hydra

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

What would be interesting is if someone who was wise to such things called his college buddies with a pickup truck, and had them wait beside the van for the two scammers to leave it unattended, then while they're distracted by a supposedly naive buyer, have them ferry a half-dozen sets from the back of the open van to the bed of the pickup, and then haul ass out of there.

;)

- M4H

Stealing the stolen goods?

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Rock Hydra
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire

;)

- M4H

Stealing the stolen goods?

Sigh ... usually the guys in the van selling crap aren't selling "stolen goods" They are scamming you into thinking they are selling high end stolen speakers, when in fact they are selling junk speakers.

I've had them try to scam me twice. They didn't get very far either time.

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
it very well might be half the story, but it's almost (or is) entrapment when they walk into a store and interrupt someone's work just to try to sell them items like that and continue on insisting that it's "to feed my family"

even if the guy said "i stole this and now i need to feed my family" and they agreed, i don't think there are any ethics in the way the cops approached two hard-working individuals in their own store. these guys aren't making much money and work long hours to put food on their families' tables and it's simply wrong for cops to go on a sting like this just to show they're fighting crime -- if they didn't set up the guys in the store in the first place, these guys would have continued business as usual.

my answer isn't well thought out, i know, but i can't focus on this while at work..

Old Hippie

Diamond Member
Oct 8, 2005
Sigh ... usually the guys in the van selling crap aren't selling "stolen goods" They are scamming you into thinking they are selling high end stolen speakers, when in fact they are selling junk speakers.
Exactly. The speakers they tried to sell me even had price tags on 'um.