Misconception about conservatives

Mrburns2007

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2001
I hear it often repeated that the Republicans are supposed to be about getting government out of the lives of people, this is only half true. Repbulicans believe in Economic freedom and don't like social programs like social security and welfare, etc, however they do think that government can play a role in the moral structure of society.

Liberals are the polar opposite, they want big social programs but don't want the government making any laws that have to do with morality.

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Mrburns2007
I hear it often repeated that the Republicans are supposed to be about getting government out of the lives of people, this is only half true. Repbulicans believe in Economic freedom and don't like social programs like social security and welfare, etc, however they do think that government can play a role in the moral structure of society.

Liberals are the polar opposite, they want big social programs but don't want the government making any laws that have to do with morality.

Define morality. Is it prayers in the class rooms? Banning evolutionary theory? Banning gays and lesbians from the military?

And I admit that welfare is horribly abused in this country, but getting rid of it altogether is going to hurt a lot of people who use it legitimatly as a spring board to rebound after hard times.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: LilBlinbBlahIce

Define morality. Is it prayers in the class rooms? Banning evolutionary theory? Banning gays and lesbians from the military?
But there lies the problems in morals. Why should a citizens dollars go to support something they find objectionable? When it comes to goverment spending, morals are always involved.

Mrburns2007

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2001

And I admit that welfare is horribly abused in this country, but getting rid of it altogether is going to hurt a lot of people who use it legitimatly as a spring board to rebound after hard times.

I was just giving the text book idea of a conservative and liberal, in reality they span the spectrum. People confuse conservatives with Libertarians.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

I'd hope no one would want the government to legislate beyond its ability... after all they be us. In any event it is the document that our founders dreampt up that keeps getting in the way. The moral structure includes... Abortion, Equal Rights, Sexual Preference issues all them inferred rights that the Republicans want rid of that the Democrats want as is...
Economically speaking... It seems simple as pie to say the Conservatives support Supply Side and The Liberals support Demand Side... Plus the socioeconomic issues of the needy that I'd not want the conservative attitude addressing in any way.

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000

For crying out loud, nobody ever tried banning evolution.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's a popular liberal mantra. Along with starving children by ending school lunch programs, kicking the elderly out on the curb, cutting down all the trees, poisoning the water for profit, etc....
I don't know whats more embarassing. Liberals spouting this crap or that some percentage of the population believe it.
Take the hook out.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Originally posted by: jaydee

Nobody?

Washington senator proposes bill to outlaw teaching of evolution here.
Arkansas considered it here.
Kansas board of education outright rejected it here

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Originally posted by: SViscusi

Nobody?

Those are bad links.
Kansas
The board's decision doesn't require the teaching of creationism, nor does it forbid the teaching of evolution. The specific curriculum is left to the local school boards -- and to the teachers who now find themselves with questions.
Arkansas
A House committee has endorsed a bill to prohibit the use of state money for educational materials that present scientific theories, including evolution, as fact.

The bill, recommended yesterday to the full House by the House State Agencies and Governmental Affairs Committee, prohibits the use of public funds by state and local governments and public schools, zoos and museums for textbooks or materials that include inaccurate information.

In addition, it requires teachers to have their students make note of what is false information and what is theory when they come across these details in their schoolbooks.
Bah, this isn't the place, sorry I brought it up.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: SViscusi

Nobody?

Those are bad links.
Kansas
The board's decision doesn't require the teaching of creationism, nor does it forbid the teaching of evolution. The specific curriculum is left to the local school boards -- and to the teachers who now find themselves with questions.
Arkansas
A House committee has endorsed a bill to prohibit the use of state money for educational materials that present scientific theories, including evolution, as fact.

The bill, recommended yesterday to the full House by the House State Agencies and Governmental Affairs Committee, prohibits the use of public funds by state and local governments and public schools, zoos and museums for textbooks or materials that include inaccurate information.

In addition, it requires teachers to have their students make note of what is false information and what is theory when they come across these details in their schoolbooks.
Bah, this isn't the place, sorry I brought it up.
$5 says that SViscusi doesn't reply to this one. Hmmmm... I wonder why...?

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
heh heh, they want "evolution" theory proven before they wanted it taught in schools. they want what would probably be a 10,000 year experiment? what morons.
i understand saying that they want evolution taught to children as being only a "theory" and not fact, as there are still unanswered questions, but to be able to teach creationism as an alternative is just plain wrong (of course, creationism to these people, is the Christian "God", and other creation stories such as Greek/Norse/ etc. are clearly wrong because it doesnt pertain to their God).

i guess they read the bible and dinosaurs lived about 4000 years ago, oops i guess they were around while the egyptians were building their pyramids. and i guess neanderthals and cro-magnons lived before the start of the world. our gods! the cavemen!

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
This place is down the raod a peice from Fort Worth, Texas
near Glen Rose - where Dinosar tracks are preserved in a riverbed.

Creation Evidence Museum

Seems like they like to omit selective scientific facts.
Interesting to nore - their 'Replicas' and 'Links to proof' don't go anywhere.

Here's the 'Official' Creation Museum site

I've got both a bridge AND a war to sell you.

Special Question:
If Adam and Eve were the first two people -
and they had Cain and Abel -
Who or what did Cain and Able marry and mate with? Monkeys? Sheep ?
Don't make sense unless Cain killed Abel to get to the sheep.

ILikeStuff

Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
This place is down the raod a peice from Fort Worth, Texas
near Glen Rose - where Dinosar tracks are preserved in a riverbed.

Creation Evidence Museum

Seems like they like to omit selective scientific facts.
Interesting to nore - their 'Replicas' and 'Links to proof' don't go anywhere.

Here's the 'Official' Creation Museum site

I've got both a bridge AND a war to sell you.

Special Question:
If Adam and Eve were the first two people -
and they had Cain and Abel -
Who or what did Cain and Able marry and mate with? Monkeys? Sheep ?
Don't make sense unless Cain killed Abel to get to the sheep.

Answer: Adam and Eve had sons and daughters after Cain and Abel... Abel was murdered and did not marry, and I would assume under this construct Cain would marry one of his sisters

Genesis 5:3 When Adam had lived one hundred and thirty years he fathered a son in his own likeness, according to his image, and he named him Seth. 5:4 The lifetime of Adam, after he became the father of Seth, was eight hundred years; during this time he had other sons and daughters. 5:5 The entire lifetime of Adam was nine hundred and thirty years, and then he died.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Popular conception: Conservatives fight terrorism, Liberals sell america to infidels
Truth: Conservatives use terrorism to pull the wool over the publics eyes while draining their pockets and riding their golden parachutes to safety.

The only misconception people have about conservatives is that they're honest.

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: ReiAyanami
Cuz we all know how honest Clinton was.

YEEHAW!

All politicians lie. But I'd rather be lied to about something that has absolutely no bearing on my life than be lied to in order to restrict my freedoms.

Oct 16, 1999
Originally posted by: HJD1

I'd hope no one would want the government to legislate beyond its ability... after all they be us. In any event it is the document that our founders dreampt up that keeps getting in the way. The moral structure includes... Abortion, Equal Rights, Sexual Preference issues all them inferred rights that the Republicans want rid of that the Democrats want as is...
Economically speaking... It seems simple as pie to say the Conservatives support Supply Side and The Liberals support Demand Side... Plus the socioeconomic issues of the needy that I'd not want the conservative attitude addressing in any way.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Supply vs. Demand. Producer vs. Consumer. Everyone needs to ask themself the next time they vote, which one am I?

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Vadatajs
Popular conception: Conservatives fight terrorism, Liberals sell america to infidels
Truth: Conservatives use terrorism to pull the wool over the publics eyes while draining their pockets and riding their golden parachutes to safety.

The only misconception people have about conservatives is that they're honest.

The worrisome misconception is that you actually think you know what you're talking about.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison

But there lies the problems in morals. Why should a citizens dollars go to support something they find objectionable? When it comes to goverment spending, morals are always involved.

Like a war, for example?

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Gaard

Like a war, for example?
The government putting money towards national defense is more important than funding abortion clinics IMHO. Some people may feel otherwise.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

I was just giving the text book idea of a conservative and liberal, in reality they span the spectrum. People confuse conservatives with Libertarians.

And you are confusing conservatives with Republicans. Generally speaking all Republicans(and Libertarians) are conservatives, but not all conservatives are Republicans(or Libertarians).

AntaresVI

Platinum Member
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Gaard

Like a war, for example?

Last time I checked, the majority supports.

Tiger

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
LOL!!
That's hilarious.
Which political party or philosophy is the one using terror tactics to get elected?
Which party/philosophy thinks the government knows best and has a political/financial stake in continuing the nanny state status quo?
Liberals don't want to help people out of poverty or off of the welfare rolls. It's not politically expedient..