Mirroring 2 OCZ Vertex 2 50gb as my boot drive?

PandaBear

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
I got 2 retired but rarely used OCZ vertex 2, 50gb and I'm thinking about using it in my machine as a boot drive, upgrading from 2 Seagate 7200.7 PATA that I was RAID 0 with (2 x 120 gb). I know OCZ is unreliable but with mirror I think I can take the chance.

With the AMD motherboard raid (MSI 880G-E45) and windows 7, I will probably have no AHCI support and therefore no trim support. Would alignment be an issue if I just clone the existing partition from a HDD? So far the only thing I will be buying would be some molex to sata power cables and the rest is what I already have, so it is not really a lot of money or time spent anyways.

MasterJ360

Oct 3, 2016
just a heads up stay away from OCZ ssd's they have a very short life term. Many ppl including myself in this forum have had this problem. Mine is also a 50GB and only had it for 3 years. Just installed windows 10 an a week later it dies on me while the PC was idly on. They are just not safe or reliable for anything. Time for me to upgrade to a 500GB ssd anyway so it dying was perfect timing i guess lol going to get a 512GB Crucial mainly for a good price

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I got 2 retired but rarely used OCZ vertex 2, 50gb and I'm thinking about using it in my machine as a boot drive, upgrading from 2 Seagate 7200.7 PATA that I was RAID 0 with (2 x 120 gb). I know OCZ is unreliable but with mirror I think I can take the chance.

With the AMD motherboard raid (MSI 880G-E45) and windows 7, I will probably have no AHCI support and therefore no trim support. Would alignment be an issue if I just clone the existing partition from a HDD? So far the only thing I will be buying would be some molex to sata power cables and the rest is what I already have, so it is not really a lot of money or time spent anyways.
Make sure you have the firmware updates for those SSDs, since those are the ones that had issues, as did most all other sandforce controller drives.
You do need to worry about alignment, but, a good clone program should take care of this for you.

OCZ first SSDs were unreliable (since sandforce controller had firmware bugs), now, since Toshiba took them over, that isn't really an issue anymore.

MasterJ360

Oct 3, 2016
Make sure you have the firmware updates for those SSDs, since those are the ones that had issues, as did most all other sandforce controller drives.
You do need to worry about alignment, but, a good clone program should take care of this for you.

OCZ first SSDs were unreliable (since sandforce controller had firmware bugs), now, since Toshiba took them over, that isn't really an issue anymore.
Well in my case it stopped booting up and the bios never detects it only my hdd are visible and after trying all sata cables problem persists so it's pretty much faulty

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Well in my case it stopped booting up and the bios never detects it only my hdd are visible and after trying all sata cables problem persists so it's pretty much faulty
And?
I have had SSDs (and HDs, and CD/DVD burners, and tape drives) die like that, without any warning at all.
Does that mean I have written off Samsung, or one of the other SSDs that went belly up forever?
Of course not.
Yeah, it sucks, and is a huge PITA, but, find me one piece of technology that won't fail on you for storage.

MasterJ360

Oct 3, 2016
And?
I have had SSDs (and HDs, and CD/DVD burners, and tape drives) die like that, without any warning at all.
Does that mean I have written off Samsung, or one of the other SSDs that went belly up forever?
Of course not.
Yeah, it sucks, and is a huge PITA, but, find me one piece of technology that won't fail on you for storage.
My point is OCZ is not a reliable source for SSD their failure rate seems to be way more higher and frequent than Samsung brands or even Crucial. Sure devices and drives can die over long term usage, but OCZ seems to die extremely fast as many other users have reported this.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
My point is OCZ is not a reliable source for SSD their failure rate seems to be way more higher and frequent than Samsung brands or even Crucial. Sure devices and drives can die over long term usage, but OCZ seems to die extremely fast as many other users have reported this.
You are comparing the OLD OCZ to the OCZ run by Toshiba now.
Totally different companies than before, and while I feel they shouldn't have kept the old OCZ name for exactly the reasons you are saying (it was unreliable and so on)...but, I guess they thought it was worth it.