Mint 10 XFCE Debian-based was just released

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I've gotta say, this is by far the nicest "lite" distro I have ever used. It uses less resources than the LXDE distros, and looks as nice as the gnome ones.

Aside from a few minor glitches that I was able to fix myself, it's awesome.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm not a huge fan of the other desktop environments. My preference is Gnome 2.x. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now with Gnome 3 and Unity. I'll try them both out, and decide then. I think there's already a Gnome fork that's going to maintain the 2.x system. I may just go with that when the time comes.

Since Mint's just running off of Debian testing, why not run Debian?

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Because everything works out of the box with Mint, and I get a beautifully themed desktop along with it. It would take me several hours to do what Mint gives me by default.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Because everything works out of the box with Mint, and I get a beautifully themed desktop along with it. It would take me several hours to do what Mint gives me by default.
It is not entirely true.

My favorite manager has been XFCE, however a few programs that I use doesn't work well under XFCE, hence I'm default back into Gnome.

Mint 9 had just as much problem as Ubuntu, and help from Mint community is weak compare to Ubuntu. 9 out of 10 times that I needed help on Mint 8-10 has been resolved by searching Ubuntu for the solution.

And I love that Ubuntu doesn't insert crappy search on top of browsers, and many programs are Deb package for Ubuntu long long before it is available in Mint repository.

Ubuntu repository is also added in as default by me into my sources.list from Mint 8 to 10.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
I mostly use Win7 desktop lateley but I have been running VMs of Linux desktop here and there for stuff like nmap and apps that work better or exclusively on linux. This edition of Mint is my favorite linux desktop for this.

For bare-metal Desktop linux though I really enjoy the ease of ubuntu's encrypted LVM set up.