Minor temp increase with motherboard change?

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Hi all. I recently went from a plain A7N8X to the A7N8X Deluxe model (old one got zapped in a power outage) and I notice my temps have gone up about +5C degrees on average. Nothing else was changed, so I can't see why the temp would increase. Is this normal? Idle temp is now about 48C. Thanks in advance for any opinions.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I can't account for precisely what would cause this. But I have duly noted it before.

Summer was busy for me, as I had my "MOJO-One" project in the works, but the family needed some upgrades from Pentium 2 to Pentium 4.

I had opportunity to compare the Intel D865PERL(x) motherboard with the ASUS P4P800 and comparable processors. We were pulling the hair out of our heads trying to get the idle temperature of the Intel board to show values less than 91F (CPU) at room temperature of 77F, but didn't have a problem keeping the ASUS board in the mid-80's range.

If you look at customer reviews at NewEgg, there are similar claims about certain motherboards.

And go figure -- if the movement from socket-478 P4 to socket-T / LGA775 mitigates thermal power issues by virtue of the socket design, what nuances in motherboard design might also provide some advantage?

CheesePoofs

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2004
The temp sensors are probably just calibrated differently, or placed in a slightly different spot. All motherboards are different when it comes to reading temps, few actually have the correct temperature.