Minnesota Republicans don't read bill and accidentally legalize edibles

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I just really want to know what Texas actually expects to happen were they able to fall ass backwards into an actual succession. Like, you no longer get federal funds for...anything. All corporations based there are now foreign and it's a nightmare for them. That whole interstate travel and trade...dead.

I mean I'm all for them trying and don't let the door hit you on the way out. But still want to know what their actual plan for viability is for basic things like food, water, infrastructure, and defense. Let alone health care, schooling, and so on.

Like Brexit but with more fossil fuels which they would plan to extort things out of the US for like any good petrostate.

As to taking care of the population lol. When we had that big winter storm state said you're on your own and good luck. They're not going to build some massive state capacity down here to deal with anything.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I mean I'm all for them trying and don't let the door hit you on the way out. But still want to know what their actual plan for viability is for basic things like food, water, infrastructure, and defense. Let alone health care, schooling, and so on.
Errr...you assumed there is a plan? :D

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I just really want to know what Texas actually expects to happen were they able to fall ass backwards into an actual succession. Like, you no longer get federal funds for...anything. All corporations based there are now foreign and it's a nightmare for them. That whole interstate travel and trade...dead.

This is one of those "never going to happen" things that Republicans like to bring up over and over because it fires up their base. I have to imagine that Republican leadership knows how disastrous secession would actually be.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
This is one of those "never going to happen" things that Republicans like to bring up over and over because it fires up their base. I have to imagine that Republican leadership knows how disastrous secession would actually be.

I thought Brexit was a meme. Until it wasn't.

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo and iRONic

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
But do their primary voters? Maybe not so much.
Their primary voters, no. Darren Bailey, the IL GOP gubernatorial nominee introduced legislation into the Illinois legislature that would have separated Chicago and surrounding suburbs from the rest of Illinois. I wish that would actually happen honestly.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Their primary voters, no. Darren Bailey, the IL GOP gubernatorial nominee introduced legislation into the Illinois legislature that would have separated Chicago and surrounding suburbs from the rest of Illinois. I wish that would actually happen honestly.

I'm from downstate and heard this stuff for years. Whenever somebody told me this was a good idea I asked them why would you want to live in one of the brokest states in the country? Metro Chicago tax dollars pay for everything.

Reactions: Zorba and hal2kilo

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Yeah I was downstate IL too and indoctrinated to that take for years.

Do you want to be Kentucky...and not the good parts of Kentucky? Because that's how you become Kentucky.
No. . . North Kentucky

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

You mean like overturning Roe v Wade?

Reactions: HomerJS

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Yes, except that actually happened. And now Republicans are worried about the impact.

Which was my point.

All absurdity aside, I think a TX secession is closer to reality than most people think. It's already in the state platform, and we've not seen a real full cycle of "but they stole my election" yet. It was only a rehearsal in '20 and you've got Abbott constantly trying to one up Desantis ... we're pretty far into silly season.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I find this hilarious, outside of Chicago and it's suburbs is mostly super rural with not much going on. I went to school downstate so I heard plenty of that crap too, shame cause the scenery gets much more beautiful down there.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Which was my point.

All absurdity aside, I think a TX secession is closer to reality than most people think. It's already in the state platform, and we've not seen a real full cycle of "but they stole my election" yet. It was only a rehearsal in '20 and you've got Abbott constantly trying to one up Desantis ... we're pretty far into silly season.
I don't think so. Secession would seriously weaken the strength of the other R's at the federal level.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I don't think so. Secession would seriously weaken the strength of the other R's at the federal level.

I think you overestimate how much of a shit they give for anyone that isn't themselves. Lack of empathy has always been a hallmark of the right ...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I think you overestimate how much of a shit they give for anyone that isn't themselves. Lack of empathy has always been a hallmark of the right ...
Yeah, FYGM can still include other Republicans in the "FY" part.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Yeah, FYGM can still include other Republicans in the "FY" part.

Absolutely. Look how fast they turned on the daughter of one of the party's staunchest figures when she dared to take one step outside the lines. It's a fucking cult ... If you think that TX republicans won't figuratively run over (then back up, run over, back up again, run over again) GOP members from ... Maine if it suits them, you've got another thing coming.