Ministry of Truth: Paused

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
So the disinformation governance board was paused due to disinformation. Who knew that taking away freedoms and setting up a totalitarian government was so hard? Maybe the Progressheviks can have Center for American Progress Action Fund come up with new branding.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
So the disinformation governance board was paused due to disinformation. Who knew that taking away freedoms and setting up a totalitarian government was so hard? Maybe the Progressheviks can have Center for American Progress Action Fund come up with new branding.

The only thing that explains you posting shit like this and thinking you're really giving it to "Progressheviks" is that you're a masochist.

Let me try something here.

You're very intelligent. Your post is amazing and your logic very sound.

Reactions: dank69

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

This is interesting news and a great addition to the forums

nJQCbgx.gif

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Repugicans are such snowflakes that they couldn't handle Mary Poppins

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It’s really no surprise that the party of traitors would be against an agency that is meant to keep an eye on foreign propaganda and advise other agencies. They hate this country and root for our enemies as evident by the OP’s gleefulness in his post.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Honestly though, what the fuck did they think was going to happen? The fact that they couldn’t predict this just goes to show that they have no business monitoring disinformation. Leave that to the free press—it’s always been their job. Or Snopes.

The "free press" that is largely owned and controlled by a small number of very rich guys and staffed mainly by high-income white people? That "free press"?

I mean, I guess there's no good answer, a state controlled body deciding what's disinformation or not doesn't have any better a track-record. Trusting in the population to try and figure out what's true or false for themselves may be the least-bad option.

Though it's odd that the same logic isn't employed in other areas, hence you have the Supreme Court - a small group of elite affluent people with credentials - to decide what it's acceptable for the people to democratically vote for. Why is technocratic rule accepted in that area, but not in this one?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
That being said, in terms of a fundamental pillar in the conceptual western democracy, the free press is struggling to adapt to how technology driven communication have evolved and how a capitalist market have been monopolizing the information highway into folks minds.
I fear that if we dont manage to rethink this free press concept this pillar is gonna crumble…. and then its just a matter of time before the rest falls.

And lets be real, its already crumbling…

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
That being said, in terms of a fundamental pillar in the conceptual western democracy, the free press is struggling to adapt to how technology driven communication have evolved and how a capitalist market have monopolizing the information highway into folks minds.
I fear that if we dont manage to rethink this free press concept this pillar is gonna crumble…. and then its just a matter of time before the rest falls.

Our enemies have figured out how to bypass our press and it’s no surprise the party that supports an insurrection also supports bypassing the press as well. One by one our institutions will fail or be corrupted and the closer to the end of our democracy we will be.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

What do you think the function of this board was?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
That being said, in terms of a fundamental pillar in the conceptual western democracy, the free press is struggling to adapt to how technology driven communication have evolved and how a capitalist market have monopolizing the information highway into folks minds.

People seem to be more interested in paying for lies and half-truths that fit their opinions than they do paying for the truth. That seems to be the big problem with capitalism and information. The highest value information that consumers want used to be the truth, but now half of the country prefers much less costly and lower quality propaganda.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
And, looking at the original post, that isn't working out so well.

Yeah, but, honestly, it sometimes feels as if you have to pick between having your media dominated by a Murdoch (plus all the propaganda outfits funded by Koch Kash) ... or you have Pravda and state-controlled media.

So maybe all you can do is endure a messy mixture of the two, and hope people are smart enough to negotiate that landscape. A decent education system would help.

There's something problematic about information and knowledge itself being a commodity. In order to make judgements about the value of things you need information, but when information itself is marketised it seems the system kind of eats itself.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
People seem to be more interested in paying for lies and half-truths that fit their opinions than they do paying for the truth. That seems to be the big problem with capitalism and information. The highest value information that consumers want used to be the truth, but now half of the country prefers much less costly and lower quality propaganda.

Indeed. Though I'd emphasize that this is regular behavior for Homo Sapiens given the available stimuli, it is not as much as the individual is unable to pull itself up by the bootstraps as much as a very predictable outcome given the input available.
Point being, informing people they're lazy and they should do better is unlikely to change the dynamics and outcome. We need to reevaluate the rules of the game.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Indeed. Though I'd emphasize that this is regular behavior for Homo Sapiens given the available stimuli, it is not as much as the individual is unable to pull itself up by the bootstraps as much as a very predictable outcome given the input available.
Point being, informing people they're lazy and they should do better is unlikely to change the dynamics and outcome. We need to reevaluate the rules of the game.

Interesting thought. Can you elaborate on what you mean in your last sentence? Thanks.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Predictive/Demonstrative truth is the ultimate power of logic and science.

You can't out information disinformation, you gotta show people you know what's going to happen based on known inputs and be right or mostly right.

Part of me is really tired of watching liberal politicians spend so much energy, effort, and political capital on trying to save red states. Just tell them what they want to hear "I'm not going to save you from yourself. I'll give you the tools to save yourself if you choose, but I will respect your freedom and independence" and walk away. Get the wins where you can and if they're legitimately better for a population the respective state should show it.

Reactions: cytg111 and dank69

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Interesting thought. Can you elaborate on what you mean in your last sentence? Thanks.

x

I dont know man. I can just see the existing system tanking.
Maybe some lawmaking? When you're speaking to a crowd of people more than size x you're subject to some government funded fact checking body?
Maybe we need to crack down on "anonymous" free speech.
Maybe it should be easier to sue? To hold people accountable should they chose to traffic lies... Specially for profit?
The whole information silo thing is a huge problem too.

Reactions: pete6032

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
I didn't bother to get past the paywall, but that WSJ opinion piece starts out as a case study in both propaganda and projection.

Jul 9, 2009
Our enemies have figured out how to bypass our press and it’s no surprise the party that supports an insurrection also supports bypassing the press as well. One by one our institutions will fail or be corrupted and the closer to the end of our democracy we will be.
"our press" is the only honest thing you said in you last 2 posts. You are pissed that a partisan press got short stopped by a different partisan press.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
"our press" is the only honest thing you said in you last 2 posts. You are pissed that a partisan press got short stopped by a different partisan press.

And this is the only honest thing I've ever seen you type.
"our press" = free press.
And there is no room for a free press in fascist America is there taj? And that is why its not YOUR press.
Treasonous taj :).