Minister convicted over possessing alcohol!

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6240890.stm

A court in Bangladesh has sentenced a former minister to five years in jail for possessing alcohol at his home without a permit, officials say.

Correspondents say it is the first time a politician has been convicted for such an offence in recent years.

Anwar Hossain Manju, the editor of the prominent Bengali daily Ittefaq, was found guilty in his absence of storing alcohol at his Dhaka residence.

He is abroad at present accused by the government of going into hiding.

Mr Manju - a former Awami League communications minister who left Bangladesh in March - says that he is receiving medical treatment.

The prosecution at his trial said police seized a number of bottles of alcohol during a raid on his home.

Defence lawyers said their client planned to appeal.

Correspondents say a licence is required to keep alcohol in mostly-Muslim Bangladesh, but the law has rarely been rigidly enforced.

Bangladesh is run by a military-backed caretaker government which says it plans to purge the country of corruption before elections promised by the end of 2008.

Tipsy Turtle

Feb 6, 2007
I was just a boy when the infidels came into my village in their Black Hawk helicopters. The infidels fired at the oil fields and they lit up like the eyes of Allah. Burning oil rained down from the sky and cooked everything it touched. I could only hide myself and cry as my goats were consumed by the fire of black liquid death. In the midst of the chaos, I could swear that I heard my goats... screaming for help. As quickly as they'd come the infidels were gone. It was on that day... I put a jihad on them. And if you don't believe it, then you'd better kill me now, because I'll put a jihad on you too.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Just to be clear, when I use the word "minister" in this post, I mean the type who preaches at church, and not the type written about in the article above.

When my parents first moved to Tennessee, they bought an old house in a small town. The house had previously had only one owner - a well-known minister and his wife, who lived there their entire lives. The house needed a whole bunch of repair and remodelling, which is what we did in our spare time for the next several years.

The house had a full basement under approximately half of the upstairs floorplan, and Dad decided to dig out some of the rest and make a new room. The part he decided to dig was next to a remote corner of the foundation, and was difficult to access. As we dug, we uncovered a large burlap bag full of empty liquor bottles.

Apparently the minister had a drinking problem. He must have thought that nobody would ever find out.