Question Mining really sucks - from a miner.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's loud, hot, annoying, and somewhat unpleasant, especially during the summer months, when you want to put on the A/C, but profits are decent and you don't want to shut off rigs to run the A/C, otherwise, you would throw a breaker.

Which I do anyways, once outside temps get much above 80F.

In the cooler / colder months, it's a lot more bearable, temp-wise, but the fans are still annoying, and the rigs take up space in my tiny apt.

The worst part is, it takes so long to make substantial money. It makes as much as a minimum-wage part-time job, on the good days.

Or equivalent to the federal "extra" unemployment benefits a week. ($300 USD/wk)

Yeah, it's money, and it comes "free" of work (on my behalf, mostly). Well, other than rig monitoring and maintenance.

Most of the miners on YT are like, "Yeah, I have a day job too. Don't quit your day job!".

I'm disabled, so it supplements my income somewhat. I've been using it primarily for pizza + soda money. Maybe Chinese food once in a while.

Like they say on Reddit, "Mining is not a get-rich-quick scheme". If I could only learn to HODL like those other diamond-handed miners out there, maybe I too, could "be rich" in 5-10 years.

Or maybe everything will collapse in the (mining) crypto-space, humanity will consider it "a big mistake", and I won't look so foolish for cashing out every day.

Edit: And yet, I still do it, addicted to this "internet magic money".

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I think mining machines are happiest outdoors. Makes a person wonder about retiring in a place with cheap electricity. Likely not to matter soon enough :\.

Hopefully you can recoup your capital when the mining market goes sideways. We all used to mine BTC, and that is all gone years ago.

Any suggestions for CPU mining? Monero seems to be a quick trip into dept these days.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's loud, hot, annoying, and somewhat unpleasant, especially during the summer months, when you want to put on the A/C, but profits are decent and you don't want to shut off rigs to run the A/C, otherwise, you would throw a breaker.

Which I do anyways, once outside temps get much above 80F.
Just be thankful your electric is paid as part of your rent. If it wasn't, your profits would be a lot lower.

Not to mention the landlord probably notices your energy bill is substantially higher than the other tenants. I wouldn't be surprised that in the future that the smart landlords who pay for the electricity wouldn't put some language in the contract that would prevent them from paying for the electricity for people who do things like mining.

I know if I was a landlord, I would notice that something wasn't normal when some tenants usage was way higher than the rest.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just musing, could crypto-mining herald the start of "the Jetsons economy"?

Basically, jobs that are SO automated, that all a human does, is watch over the "robots", and push a button once in a while.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just be thankful your electric is paid as part of your rent. If it wasn't, your profits would be a lot lower.

Not to mention the landlord probably notices your energy bill is substantially higher than the other tenants. I wouldn't be surprised that in the future that the smart landlords who pay for the electricity wouldn't put some language in the contract that would prevent them from paying for the electricity for people who do things like mining.

I know if I was a landlord, I would notice that something wasn't normal when some tenants usage was way higher than the rest.
For the record, I have to pay them 30% of my income, which, in this case, is greater than the sum of the electric cost.

I still try to reduce the power usage as much as possible. I don't want to be wasteful.

Edit: If I were to be allowed, or even, required to pay the electric for my apt., I happily would. I did at the prior place, and I was doing heavy DC work. (Same landlord agency)

Edit: I have electric heat here, which is why the electric is included in the rent. That also means that the mining in the cooler months is basically at no cost to the landlord, as it directly offsets the heating bill.

So, if I'm paying 30% of my income, just for (effectively) heating the place at no additional cost, for 3/4 of the year, the landlord, on the whole, is making money off of my mining, too.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Larry want me to come by and show you how stupid easy it is to cook stuff in a instant pot?
Don’t get me wrong I eat out too or have crappy meals at home but this isn’t every day.
Love you man.

Reactions: Mopetar

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Larry want me to come by and show you how stupid easy it is to cook stuff in a instant pot?
Don’t get me wrong I eat out too or have crappy meals at home but this isn’t every day.
Love you man.
Thank you man, love you too.

I have a microwave, crock-pot, and a small electric skillet that I have yet to try using.

I was musing to my mom the other day, about how, possibly, I should stop dropping $50 every day or two on pizza, and go to the grocery store more.

Reactions: thilanliyan

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I was musing to my mom the other day, about how, possibly, I should stop dropping $50 every day or two on pizza, and go to the grocery store more.
Uh, yeah.

Not only from a saving money standpoint, but it would be a LOT healthier (provided you don't replace the delivery pizzas with frozen pizzas and other junk of course). Eating a bunch of pizza every other day isn't going to help with your health and weight).

Feb 4, 2009

I have a microwave, crock-pot, and a small electric skillet that I have yet to try using.

Not to make the thread about Larry’s cooking habits.
Instant pot beats microwave and crock pot easily. Beats the small skillet in the cooking chicken or turkey or whatever meat or meat & veggies combo but skillet is better for eggs or grilled cheese.
Seriously it can be an easy one pot meal:
Chicken & rice add some cheese and or broccoli
Chicken comes out great just tasting only bummer is chicken ends up sort of pale
Pasta or spaghetti comes out great with a little practice
People cook hamburgers in them
Shredded port with gravy is super simple. Cook pork with some water and powdered gravy mix 20 minutes-ish and you are done. Add a potato and a veggie and you have a decent meal. Cheap to probably $6 to $12 for a good meal *depending on the veggie added* this would be two servings easy, maybe more.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Cooking with a crock pot is a lot like mining. It largely takes care of itself. It's not particularly hard to do either. Cut up some vegetables and throw it all in with a chunk of meat and let it cook. There really isn't much technique involved and you can't really screw it up.

I'd also recommend a sous vide cooker as well. Makes a perfectly cooked steak and you can just finish it in a skillet so no need to mess about with a grill or have to worry about overcooking and ruining the steak.

Otherwise if it's hot there during the day just go somewhere else like the library. Mining rigs really don't need supervision.

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
These days I like staking Gen 3.0 coins. For example I've got my own Tezos baker node setup, which cost around $250 for the Raspberry Pi, SSD, and Ledger. Running the node helping secure the network consumes like ~10w of power, and earns me an extra 10-15% over delegating my Tezos to another node. But this to be worth it from a financial standpoint, you need at least 16,000 XTZ so that after about one year assuming the price is $2.75 - the hardware pays itself (at 6.2% APY) when compared to just delegating (about 5.5% APY). It could be higher in which case it pay itself off sooner, or it could be lower which would have it take longer. But at least I'm not contributing to climate collapse nor do I need to make up large amounts on expensive rigs and pay off high electricity bills.

Another real benefit of running a Tezos node is being able to submit votes for upgrades and be a part of how the chain evolves. I'm really big on self-governance and truly see it as the future of crypto. Proof-of-work is dying breed to me. I dumped a lot of my Litecoin in the prior months and don't see myself holding any proof-of-work coin aside from Bitcoin once Ethereum 2.0 is here.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Pretty sure it's rare, but there are condos that include electricity in the condo fee. Also I suppose it's possible that the Government is paying for it. If he's not out of line 3/4ths of the year the association might not notice.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Pretty sure it's rare, but there are condos that include electricity in the condo fee. Also I suppose it's possible that the Government is paying for it. If he's not out of line 3/4ths of the year the association might not notice.
He runs the rigs instead of the A/C, which most or all of the other tenants undoubtedly are. His usage while more consistent, is probably not THAT far off from anyone else's in total power consumed this time of year. And possibly lower during the winter.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Yeah, back when I mined I only did it in Winter. Once you factored in the AC costs, mining in Summer just wasn't profitable enough.

I guess that it would work if you had an outdoor "mining shed". As long as the temperature in the shed was under 100 F (38 C), the equipment should stay cool enough not to do any damage to it.

You would actually probably want to keep it uncomfortably warm, so you don't have to worry about woodland creatures creating nests in the shed!

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
If it gets too warm, turn off some of the miners. That is what I do. I just mine occasionally, and mostly HODL. Winter is a better time.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Cooking with a crock pot is a lot like mining. It largely takes care of itself. It's not particularly hard to do either. Cut up some vegetables and throw it all in with a chunk of meat and let it cook. There really isn't much technique involved and you can't really screw it up.
I do pork and sauerkraut, chili and meatloaf in my crock pot. Chili is usually with mushrooms instead of meat. Looked at the instant pot a few times.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Any suggestions for CPU mining?

Dont... overall the power req needed to mine on cpu is just incredibly unprofitable / stupid unless your on a a 35W Xeon-D or a 35W EYPC.

There really isn't much technique involved and you can't really screw it up.

OH boy.... and this is how fires happen. :eek:
You can mess up, and you can mess up really really bad.
Maybe the small scale miner with 1-2 cards... but once you get to a somewhat multi gpu farm, it can get really nasty, especially when you think a poor 15Amp socket will support 8 high end GPU's.

If it gets too warm, turn off some of the miners. That is what I do. I just mine occasionally, and mostly HODL. Winter is a better time.

All the cards i mine on are my retired cards.
One big benifit on my retired cards are they all have waterblocks.
Waterblocks allow me to throw it in some corner even if the outside temp is 90F and not even worry about overheating anything.
But i would not recommend anyone to throw waterblocks just to mine cards on.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

$50 on pizza? You don't have Dominos near you? Those $8 larges are great. I refuse to buy any other pizza when they're so cheap.

With a crock pot you could for instance make some pretty nice Japanese curry, though personally I skip using stock and just use water because the stock just makes the meal more expensive without adding much to the flavor IMO. Stuff tastes even better the next day after storing in the fridge. I always make it on the stove but damn now I want to buy a crock pot so I can have it in 45 minutes lol.

EDIT: Crap I was confusing crock pot for pressure cooker. Guess the slow cooker ain't getting it done in 45 minutes lol.

Though a rice cooker would be good in combination with that. I use this cheap $30 rice cooker (how do people pay upwards of $200 for these things?) that cooks a perfect pot of rice every single time and it's the easiest thing in the world to use.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
$50 on pizza? You don't have Dominos near you? Those $8 larges are great. I refuse to buy any other pizza when they're so cheap.

With a crock pot you could for instance make some pretty nice Japanese curry, though personally I skip using stock and just use water because the stock just makes the meal more expensive without adding much to the flavor IMO. Stuff tastes even better the next day after storing in the fridge. I always make it on the stove but damn now I want to buy a crock pot so I can have it in 45 minutes lol.

EDIT: Crap I was confusing crock pot for pressure cooker. Guess the slow cooker ain't getting it done in 45 minutes lol.

Though a rice cooker would be good in combination with that. I use this cheap $30 rice cooker (how do people pay upwards of $200 for these things?) that cooks a perfect pot of rice every single time and it's the easiest thing in the world to use.

or cook your curry in the IP, empty to a pot then cook rice in IP...

Feb 4, 2009

Last two rentals I had paid electric. One was electric heat other was a combo gas with electric bathroom heat.
I they both were large buildings and stressed keep the heat between this and that. I suspect it was easier for them to roll electric into the rent and have people heat & cool properly to avoid HVAC issues or someone’s complaining their floor is always cold because the dude below wants the electric bill al low as possible.

Also in my State it typically is smarter for the landlord to take care of utilities because:
There can be problems about setting up new service when there is a past due balance
There can be problems with the state if you are renting a place without heat or water or hot water or electric. Even if the lack of the utility is due to the tenant not paying the landlord needs to remedy that and typically give free rent for the time the utility was missing which could be months because the renter was afraid to say something.

Before this becomes a massive derail assuming it went before a judge the judge would be unlikely to fine the landlord a penalty in the above scenario but he likely would say reduced or free rent for that period and give the tenant one chance to clear up the bill or be prepared to be removed.

Last edited: