Mining raising prices on CPUs too???

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I've seen one or two tech Youtubers make mention of it. The lower end Intel CPUs usually have been (at least for a few years) the best value for mining rigs, so it doesn't surprise me.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I feel like every single hardware component needed for PC's is getting more expensive, even monitors. I know that my CPU, the i7-5775C has basically doubled in price except for ES samples. Not a great example, as that CPU was never popular.

hojnikb

Sep 18, 2014
Cheaper CPUs are getting more expensive, because miners usually buy the cheapest thing there is available, since cpu doesn't really play any part in gpu mining.

Reactions: Crono

hojnikb

Sep 18, 2014
I feel like every single hardware component needed for PC's is getting more expensive, even monitors. I know that my CPU, the i7-5775C has basically doubled in price except for ES samples. Not a great example, as that CPU was never popular.
Could be a weaker dollar value

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
All I can add is that an R7 1800x @ 4 GHz can bring in $25/month mining XMR. Give or take. I could probably cut the power usage in half just letting it run @ 3.6 GHz instead (at lower voltage). In 20 months, this baby pays for itself! Yeah!

(actual earnings are closer to $10-$15/month after power @ 4 GHz)

Reactions: lightmanek

bsp2020

Dec 29, 2015
All I can add is that an R7 1800x @ 4 GHz can bring in $25/month mining XMR. Give or take. I could probably cut the power usage in half just letting it run @ 3.6 GHz instead (at lower voltage). In 20 months, this baby pays for itself! Yeah!

(actual earnings are closer to $10-$15/month after power @ 4 GHz)

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-threadripper-cryptocurrency-mining

It's titled "Cryptocurrency mining on AMD's Threadripper CPUs will pay for itself in less than a year."
I should mine more with my PC. Too bad that I need to use it to do other useful work...

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-threadripper-cryptocurrency-mining

It's titled "Cryptocurrency mining on AMD's Threadripper CPUs will pay for itself in less than a year."
I should mine more with my PC. Too bad that I need to use it to do other useful work...

Maybe if there is a more profitable CryptoNight token than XMR; otherwise, no. Besides, most crypto is down now, so profits will follow until hashpower goes offline to compensate.

Wait, cheap CPUs are appreciating in value? QUICK, TIME TO STOCKPILE DUAL CORE LLANOS

Now you sound like that crazy, semi-scammy guy investing in old Intel boards in the hopes of selling them back on eBay to take advantage of swings in supply and demand.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Now you sound like that crazy, semi-scammy guy investing in old Intel boards in the hopes of selling them back on eBay to take advantage of swings in supply and demand.

thatsthejoke.jpg

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
I wonder if the Ryzen desktop APUs end up increasing in price because of mining? (Not used as a standalone, but as part of a rig with dGPUs in it. This compared to the same rig with a Celeron or Ryzen CPU and the dGPUs)

With that mentioned, I do have to wonder if mining has a seasonal component to it? (re: I notice the popularity gained sharply in the winter and the extra heat created by the GPUs (and cpu) can be used to warm a room or house)

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
.... So seriously... should we be buying our CPUs now before this blows up on us? What if CPU mining becomes a thing -.-

Ryzen 7 1700 is still only $290 on pcpartspicker, so outside of some sweetheart deals maybe drying up out there, I don't see it being a big issue. The entire crypto market is down right now anyway. XMR down more than 30% this week. ETN is down ~%70 this month. Those are probably the main coins you would mine with a CPU.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I've seen multiple Youtubers post mining videos about CPU mining and Threadripper in the past few days. We might see shortages of the 1950X and increased pricing/shortages of older, higher L3 cache Xeons and respective motherboards, especially if CryptoNight-based currencies return to higher profitability. There are other CPU-friendly algorithms, too. I built a Threadripper 1950X system a few weeks ago partly to mine with (more for Nimiq than CryptoNight, though I am doing XMR at the moment), but total system cost doesn't make it worth it to build new Ryzen/Threadripper PCs just for mining unless you are okay with longer ROI than is typical with GPUs or ASICs.

Used servers (mostly 10+ core, dual socket Xeon) are a slightly different story, depending on price.

Last edited:

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
I've been mining AEON with my 1700 since it came out. Depending on when I wanted to sell, I could have bought several more. I've considered a Threadripper just for mining. Moar threads, kplzthx!

bsp2020

Dec 29, 2015
I wonder if the Ryzen desktop APUs end up increasing in price because of mining? (Not used as a standalone, but as part of a rig with dGPUs in it. This compared to the same rig with a Celeron or Ryzen CPU and the dGPUs)

We gotta get one of the mother board manufacturers to build a ThreadRipper motherboard with gobs of x1 PCIe slots. One motherboard with up to 64 graphics card and the CPU will pay for itself while GPUs are mining!!!

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
We gotta get one of the mother board manufacturers to build a ThreadRipper motherboard with gobs of x1 PCIe slots. One motherboard with up to 64 graphics card and the CPU will pay for itself while GPUs are mining!!!
Yeah, that ought to improve the video card situation...

slashy16

Mar 24, 2017
I chose the Ryzen 1700 for my mining rig specifically because the CPU will pay for itself over time and there will be a decent resale opportunity. The Intel chips\boards while cheaper are too slow to mine and will never be resaleable. I get about 500h with Electroneum and still make about 60 cents a day on the CPU alone. Note I do not pay for power.

Reactions: Jan Olšan

Jan Olšan

Jan 12, 2017
I chose the Ryzen 1700 for my mining rig (...) and there will be a decent resale opportunity

Aww damn, I was so counting on being able to buy Ryzen 1700 dirt cheap since it was a foregone conclusion they had no resale value. Damnit. Mining really ruins everything.

Sell the Ryzen and use the funds towards the 8700k before the ryzen has absolutely no resale value at all. (...)
Sorry but, AMD tech has no resale value. It hasn't in the last 10 years and wont now. (...)

FCWPARx.jpg

I know, nobody is perfect. I also said a lot of stuff that is funny in hindsight, no problem. I just couldn't resist, sorry :D