mini itx z97 options ?

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I'm currently considering the asrock mini-itx z97e as it has most of the features I'm interested in:

1150 alc audio
wifi (optional; not hard requirement)
decent user reviews
display port (most mini-itx z97 have display port)
-
The negative seems to be that it only has 1 case fan header. Are there any other boards i should consider (the asus has 2 fan header but uses a not so nice audio chip) ?
-
The overall build will be elite 130 case; i7-K (haswell refresh); r290 or gtx 980; 650 or 750 psu and 8GB ram.

krose

Aug 1, 2004
That's the problem with mini-itx, finding a balance of features you can live with. I would rather have better audio than an extra fan header. To get both you're looking at spending more $$. I have the Asrock and I'm happy with it. However I am using the Swiftech H220-X which comes with a PWM splitter that you can plug 8 fans into. It's powered by an SATA power connector, and has a 4 pin PWM plug that connects to the CPU fan header. It can be obtained from Swiftech for 10 bucks. http://www.swiftech.com/8-WayPWMsplitter-sata.aspx

greybaby

Sep 17, 2012
I'd recommend just getting a splitter and having them run at the same speed, much better than getting a different board for a header.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Thanks for the suggestion for the splitter that's probably the solution given the case (elite 130) though perhaps just plugging the larger (slower) fan directly into the psu would work.
-
The evga board looks interesting I guess but one thing i forgot to mention is the board has to be sold at micro center so i can get the cpu/mb bundle.
-
I guess from what folks have said the asrock is really the only decent option in the mini-itx form.