Mini-ITX Gaming Rig - would this build work?

ilikebeeef

Jan 28, 2013
Graphics Card: 2GB Powercolor HD 7870 $225 <- overkill for my current graphics needs but a lot of people have recommended I get 7870 instead of 7770
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570 $202
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI $120
RAM: 8GB Kit 1600 Kingston HyperX Black 1.5V $50
HDD : WD Blue 1TB $74 <- if the shop sells the later version, I will get that one instead
SSD : Samsung 830 128GB $98
External DVD-RW: LG External Slim DVD Writer $30
PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-SFX 450W $83
Case: Silverstone FT03 Mini Silver $139

Total not including OS: $1021

Uses: Gaming (mostly Sims 3), Internet browsing/streaming, social networking, word processing. I&#8217;d like to be able to run Sims 3 with all expansions on max settings. I may be trying out other games but don't have any particular ones in mind right now, except maybe Skyrim. I do however own some copies of MMORPGs as I have played them in the past.

Do I want to..
Overclock: No
SLI/Crossfire: No
Wifi: Yes I do want, but I can use USB
Bluetooth: Same as Wifi
Multi-monitor: No

Current Monitor Size: 1680x1050 pixels. I don't really play full-screen, normally just have games in a 1280x1024 window or even smaller.

I will probably be using mods to load straight to desktop and to add a very functional start menu button so the Windows 8 UI will probably not be an issue.

How does that sound? Am I missing anything? What would the bottleneck in this build be, or is it completely balanced? I'd like to hear your opinions :)

Last edited:

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Should be a good little box. Make sure the GPU isn't too big for the case, same with the PSU.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
PSU is SFX, which is exactly what the case takes.

Card specified is 9.5" long, which will fit.

Why external optical drive? Unable to find a slot load internal?

ilikebeeef

Jan 28, 2013
PSU is SFX, which is exactly what the case takes.

Card specified is 9.5" long, which will fit.

Why external optical drive? Unable to find a slot load internal?

I chose to go external since I pretty much never use the internal optical drive on my current computer, so I was thinking that I could link up the external to the computer, say, during Windows installation, then when I don't need it, I put it away so it doesn't just sit there idly, using power and generating unneeded heat. Also would be portable (so I can use it on other computers as well, for example an ultrabook) and would make the desktop lighter if I need to carry it around.

PatwrikM

Jan 23, 2013
Graphics Card: 2GB Powercolor HD 7870 $225 <- overkill for my current graphics needs but a lot of people have recommended I get 7870 instead of 7770
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570 $202
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI $120
RAM: 8GB Kit 1600 Kingston HyperX Black 1.5V $50
HDD : WD Blue 1TB $74 <- if the shop sells the later version, I will get that one instead
SSD : Samsung 830 128GB $98
External DVD-RW: LG External Slim DVD Writer $30
PSU: Silverstone ST45SF-SFX 450W $83
Case: Silverstone FT03 Mini Silver $139

:)

I'be built a similar system but opted for some different hardware.

I am running a 3570k but with a Asrock z77e itx.
Got a powercolor tahiti LE 7870 -- great bank for the buck, able to run all the latest games at 1080p on ultra.
Case - opted for the bitfenix prodigy.

Whatever route you go, the system you have specced out should do fine for what you play.

ilikebeeef

Jan 28, 2013
I'be built a similar system but opted for some different hardware.

I am running a 3570k but with a Asrock z77e itx.
Got a powercolor tahiti LE 7870 -- great bank for the buck, able to run all the latest games at 1080p on ultra.
Case - opted for the bitfenix prodigy.

Whatever route you go, the system you have specced out should do fine for what you play.

Did/do you intend to overclock?

PatwrikM

Jan 23, 2013
Yah, I have my 3570k OC'ed to a stable 4.5ghz.

The nice thing about the bitfenix prodigy is the amount of space for cooling

ilikebeeef

Jan 28, 2013
Yah, I have my 3570k OC'ed to a stable 4.5ghz.

The nice thing about the bitfenix prodigy is the amount of space for cooling

Yeah I agree. The Bitfenix Prodigy does definitely have more expandability than the FT03-Mini. Its style is decent as well. However it seems a bit big to me.. it's wider than my current computer which is a BTX.. And the length of the FT03-Mini got me as well :x lol it's about half the length of most cases, so I can just put it on the table next to the monitor without anything sticking out forward. Just seems really cool to me. I also like silver colour, which Bitfenix Prodigy doesn't have. I don't intend to overclock so I think I'm going to stick to stock cooling anyway. Or if I do in the far future, the FT03-Mini does have a radiator cooling option. Probably the main functional difference for me between the two cases is that Bitfenix Prodigy can house all graphics cards whereas the FT03-Mini has a 10" length restriction.

Why do you OC? Do you do any incredibly CPU-intensive things?

consider getting samsung low profile ram?

No I haven't considered Samsung RAM, since PCDIY doesn't sell it. Why, is it better in any way than the Kingston HyperX?

Last edited:

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
The Samsung low profile ram is low profile, meaning no ram clearance problems. Second it overclocks nicely.

ilikebeeef

Jan 28, 2013
Last edited:

ilikebeeef

Jan 28, 2013
Hey guys, problem.. I think Powercolor has changed their 7870 model? It seems to have become very hard for me to find a "right" graphics card for the case, PCDIY says their supplier only has "PowerColor AX7870-2GBD5-2DHPPV3E http://www.powercolor.com/global/products_features.asp?id=430 in stock for $255", which is quite a bit more than the $225 I was going for.. and they are also unable to get the AMD reference 7870 model AND EVGA products ._.

They have Gainward GTX 660 though on their price list for $225. Is that a suitable card for the case?

mirno

Feb 1, 2013
There are some special 7870 models. They got a 7950 chip (Thaiti). Like the Sapphire 7870 XT (Thaiti). You should check for those! Really recommeded. Like the same price as regular 7870 models and a lot faster ;)

ilikebeeef

Jan 28, 2013
There are some special 7870 models. They got a 7950 chip (Thaiti). Like the Sapphire 7870 XT (Thaiti). You should check for those! Really recommeded. Like the same price as regular 7870 models and a lot faster ;)

Hey. These ones are too long for the case I chose. But anyway, I "committed to buy" this EVGA GTX 660 Superclocked Edition from a U.S. seller from eBay for $234 including shipping.. In Sydney, cheapest is $260 without shipping and are deposit to order. Furthermore, EVGA warranty does cover the product still.