mini displayport question

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
i'm planning on getting a HD5800 series for eyefinity. just to keep my options open i was thinking of waiting for the eyefinity6 version (i just like the idea of a 5wide by 1tall setup for max peripheral.

the main thing is that the eyefinity6 is miniDP only. I have some regular displayport capable monitors, so my question is:
Can i just get a miniDP to DP male male cable and connect it directly or will there be the whole active/powered digitizer signal issue with DP to dvi?
[yes, that sentence sounds dirty]

i've tried to search for info, but miniDP is mac originated so there are even less articles about it and product connecting.

RichieZ

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2000
just connect it directly, using my 3008WFP with my macbook right now.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
ah. excellent. makes it much simpler.

here's a similar question:
there are displayport to hdmi cables, couldnt all the current 5800 owners use that instead of that expensive DP to DVI active dongle? there are tons more monitors with hdmi ports than DP.

mmnno

Jan 24, 2008
ah. excellent. makes it much simpler.

here's a similar question:
there are displayport to hdmi cables, couldnt all the current 5800 owners use that instead of that expensive DP to DVI active dongle? there are tons more monitors with hdmi ports than DP.

The displayport output must be able to output a DVI/HDMI signal for that to work. The DP/mini-DP ports on the 5000 series cards can't (except for 2 on the Six). For eyefinity users that would be pointless anyway, as all gaming video cards are limited to 2 DVI/HDMI(/VGA) signals. For 3 monitors you must use one DP signal from the video card.

The mini-DP output on the new Macbooks can output DVI/HDMI signals, and probably VGA too. Apple likes that because the mini-DP output saves space on the chassis and provides new and expensive accessories to rip off their uninformed customers with.