Miners messing with the supply chain again?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002

Ramses

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2000
Really kind of a drag. I'd have been happy to give AMD some money but nobody had anything I was looking for in stock(or it was comically priced).
And if I had been able to find one, I likely would have bought a freesync monitor to go with it, but noooooooo lol... So another company
missed out too.

So NV it is for now. You'd think they would have made a miner-edition card or something for these guys so
the rest of us that actually want to like, play games, could buy the damn things. 1st world problem and all that
I know but it is annoying.

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
We can be sure that nobody will buy new polaris cards in next 2years.Its same story over and over and over and.....
There will be tons of super cheap polaris cards after mining is gone just like with 290/290x and nobody will be buying new cards.
AMD never learn...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
We can be sure that nobody will buy new polaris cards in next 2years.Its same story over and over and over and.....
There will be tons of super cheap polaris cards after mining is gone just like with 290/290x and nobody will be buying new cards.
AMD never learn...

...what are they supposed to do? Cripple the Mining capabilities of their Cards?

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
...what are they supposed to do? Cripple the Mining capabilities of their Cards?
Yes lock it in hardware and release special mining cards.Lock in drivers wont help because miners can use older drivers.
Mining is AMDs worst nightmare.They lost so much with 290/290x because of that.They need do something about that.
Its really even worse now than in 290x days.AMD dont have any card on maket now.They have rx560 and furyx lool.People just cant buy any amd cards and after mining is gone they will not buy new cards.They will buy used super cheap cards.So AMd wont sell pretty much anything in next year or 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: astrosfan315

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Amd will now easily sell every card they make, at least for a while.

Only downside is gamers will be "forced" to buy nvidia agian, so developers might focus more on nvidia performance.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
You guys know that those of us mining also make GTX 1060 and GTX 1070 (and even 1080) rigs, right? This short supply of Polaris cards is entirely the fault of AMD's manufacturing partners who never seem to be able to accurately forecast demand, and then are unwilling to increase production for a "temporary" shortage.

In any event it's not a bad thing for AMD's profits because it means they are selling more chips than anticipated. At some point a reasonable equilibrium on supply and pricing will again be reached.

P.S. People who buy used tend to buy used anyways, so I doubt it makes much impact either way.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
So are you saying there is no cost advantage for using AMD GPUs for mining?

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
You guys know that those of us mining also make GTX 1060 and GTX 1070 (and even 1080) rigs, right? This short supply of Polaris cards is entirely the fault of AMD's manufacturing partners who never seem to be able to accurately forecast demand, and then are unwilling to increase production for a "temporary" shortage.

In any event it's not a bad thing for AMD's profits because it means they are selling more chips than anticipated. At some point a reasonable equilibrium on supply and pricing will again be reached.

P.S. People who buy used tend to buy used anyways, so I doubt it makes much impact either way.
It's hard to discuss something with people who give zero evidence for their conclusions. Like it's somehow bad to sell every card you make. Would it be better to have the supply to meet the demand? Sure. But it's far far better than having dead inventory just sitting there clogging things up.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
It does expose a problem in their supply chain in that they under forecast sales in a big way, and service levels have dropped because of it. This also reveals how slow they are to react to demand changes.

The other thing is that it looks good on the balance sheet, but it won't affect things like Steam's hardware survey. In other words, let's say that Steam's hardware survey says that AMD has 20% of the market. But that would ignore miners, who buy a lot of GPUs for such a small group. I'm not sure what AMD's true market share is (of all GPUs sold), but it is higher than 20%.

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
I just built a new Ryzen based system and did about a month's worth of research on all my parts while waiting on my end of month bonus check. I got everything I wanted EXCEPT the damn RX580 card. So, I'm holding it down with my 8 year old 1GB HD5850 suprisingly well enough..but looks like stock won't replenish anytime soon so I am probably just going to get a $200 3gb GTX1060 and then re-evaluate the market in 6 months. It's a shame too because I also snagged a 24.5" Acer freesync monitor as well for $169 and was looking forward to seeing what all the fuss was about.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I would LOVE to get another RX 470 4GB (or two!), for my spiffy brand-new Ryzen 5 1600 rig I just built this morning. But I threw in a GTX 1050ti 4GB card that I had recently purchased, originally intended to go in a G4560 budget gaming rig. I don't game much anyways.

But RX 470 cards are basically AWOL, unless you want to pay up to $800 for one on ebay. Screw that. I paid $150 ea., on firesale. I probably would buy one for list ($180 or so), if I had to, just to get another one. But no higher.

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013

Common sense would seem to indicate this, but it didn't happen last time. AMD still lost money during the quarters when their GPUs were sold out to Litecoin mining back in late 2013 - early 2014. And meanwhile, gamers had to go with GTX 780 because they couldn't afford R9 290 at ~$1000. Then prices crashed and the Hawaii cards had to be blown out at ~$250, especially after Maxwell hit.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I'm having a hard time understanding why selling out of something is bad solely due to the use case.
For one thing, miners don't really count in steam (or whatever) stats. So, yeah, AMD is selling cards, but, it isn't reflected anyplace but mining.
Main issue is, if AMD would have seen the miner bubble expanding, they could have built more GPUs, and it wouldn't be a issue.
Now however, it takes 1-2 months to ramp up, and in those months sales are going to the competition.
If the mining craze bubble bursts, AMD is sitting on lots of inventory.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
You'd think that after several generations of cards being used for mining, anticipating mining demand wouldn't be so hard.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You'd think that after several generations of cards being used for mining, anticipating mining demand wouldn't be so hard.

The price increase has been so sudden. Ethereum was at 17 on March 9th (and had been flat for some time); and 51 at April 5th. It's over 220 now.

GPU mining had pretty much been dead until this happened.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
The price increase has been so sudden. Ethereum was at 17 on March 9th (and had been flat for some time); and 51 at April 5th. It's over 220 now.

GPU mining had pretty much been dead until this happened.
Oh, well that explains it. Honestly I had no idea. No one to blame for that.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Really its the BTC price boom that caused other coins to also go up. BTC is at 2.4k now from a few hundred.

Mining is so silly... its such a massive waste of power and nice hit to global warming... but hey, free money! :p I do wish I would have kept more of the BTC I used to mine I'd be freaking rich now <.<... Protip for anyone going back in time, mine that BTC in 2009 or whenever it was... I can't believe I sold mine for a few bucks to recovery electricity costs lol

Reactions: JimmyH

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
Got tired of my loud fan on my HD5850 in my new Ryzen build..and got tired of waiting for the RX580, So I went green and picked up an MSI GTX1060 Gaming X 6GB at Microcenter for $245+$15 MIR. After taxes and rebate is $250. I'll revisit AMD in another 5 years or so. My HD5850 hung in there, but ultimately it having to run 100% fan for me to play Wasteland 2 got annoying. Considering I bought it in 2009 I'd say I got my money's worth.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Got tired of my loud fan on my HD5850 in my new Ryzen build..and got tired of waiting for the RX580, So I went green and picked up an MSI GTX1060 Gaming X 6GB at Microcenter for $245+$15 MIR. After taxes and rebate is $250. I'll revisit AMD in another 5 years or so. My HD5850 hung in there, but ultimately it having to run 100% fan for me to play Wasteland 2 got annoying. Considering I bought it in 2009 I'd say I got my money's worth.

is that a reference 5850? I still have one and it runs cool, without load the fan stays at the minimum speed like 20%, under 100% load I can keep it at 30-40 % with good temps (under 70) easily, but I had to clean the card a few times.
100% is absurdly loud.

for the miners, is it expected that GPU mining will be inefficient soon? like it was for bitcoin after a while? if it happens soon, expect lots of cheap used Radeons again

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
for the miners, is it expected that GPU mining will be inefficient soon? like it was for bitcoin after a while? if it happens soon, expect lots of cheap used Radeons again

There has been a constant new coin created and pumped / dumped solely for GPU miners for a long time now. Eth is the latest, before that there were Blackcoin, Vertcoin and dozens of others.

So as long as there are GPU farms, there will be people creating new algorithms and new coins to mine them to make money.

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
is that a reference 5850? I still have one and it runs cool, without load the fan stays at the minimum speed like 20%, under 100% load I can keep it at 30-40 % with good temps (under 70) easily, but I had to clean the card a few times.
100% is absurdly loud.

Yeah a reference. It would get to 80C pretty quick and the jet engine take off. It's pretty dang dusty so I blew some air through it then thought..who cares, I've got a whole new build here and this is going back in the closet anyway. :) My new card doesn't even have fans that spin up until it is at 60c. I played a couple older titles and it didn't get over 55. GTAV pushed it to a whopping 62C LOL. Love this new card.

imported_jjj

Feb 14, 2009
AMD is missing out here in a huge way, they should have released a Vega Mining Edition with gaming drivers arriving at a later date for the SKU.
Assuming more than 2x the perf of a 580 and substantilly higher efficiency, they could have sold such a card at 600-700$.