MineCraft min. requirements?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm asking on behalf of another thread in the laptop subforum. I've never played minecraft, is it resource-intensive? Or would it play, specifically, on an Ivy Bridge 1.5Ghz Celeron 1007U, or an AMD Kabini A6-5200 quad-core?

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I think it is resource intensive, but that is because it isn't written in the most resource friendly code. It was written in Java, so it isn't exactly performance specialized. I'd imagine if you can give you JVM a ton of memory (assuming it is 64-bit), it shouldn't be that bad.

Mar 10, 2005
integrated graphics are terrible, non-starter in fact, for games. minecraft is no exception, although it does provide options to turn the quality down so low a toaster could run it. 2 popular options are to allocate 2048 MB for java and to install the optifine mod.

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
There's many videos on youtube where it's running on a Pentium 4. If it is not smooth I think you can change settings and/or lower the screen size? I've seen it running smoothly on an iphone and ipad, but I'm thinking that was a different version that was compiled specifically for iOS?

Mar 10, 2005
There's many videos on youtube where it's running on a Pentium 4. If it is not smooth I think you can change settings and/or lower the screen size? I've seen it running smoothly on an iphone and ipad, but I'm thinking that was a different version that was compiled specifically for iOS?

that's the pocket edition for android and ios.

the cpu makes little difference, the graphics processor makes a huge difference. i do think a p4 is too old and crusty to play minecraft on enjoyably.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I've seen it running smoothly on an iphone and ipad, but I'm thinking that was a different version that was compiled specifically for iOS?
Yup, there are mobile versions of Minecraft. Entirely different code bases.

Warsam71

Jul 29, 2013
I haven't played the game...I did find the game's min requirements for you, take a look:

https://help.mojang.com/customer/portal/articles/325948-minecraft-system-requirements

Minimum Requirements:

• CPU : Intel P4 or its AMD Equivalent (AMD K7)
  • RAM : 2GB
  • GPU : Intel GMA 950 or AMD Equivalent with OpenGL 2.1 Support
  • HDD : At least 100MB for Game Core and Sound Files

Recommended Requirements:

• CPU : Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 (K8) 2.6 GHz
  • RAM : 4GB
  • GPU : GeForce 6xxx or ATI Radeon 9xxx and up with OpenGL 2.1 Support (Excluding Integrated Chipsets)
  • HDD : 150MB

Software Requirements:

• Minecraft Release 1.6 or newer. Older versions will need to be updated to current versions
  • Java (Java SE 6 Update 51 or Java SE 7 Update 40 or newer is preferred)
  • Please note that some users experience issues playing Minecraft while using a mismatched version of Java for their operating system (32 or 64 bit), while using certain versions of Java 7, or while multiple versions of Java are installed
If you have a laptop with an a built-in (integrated) graphics card, rather than a dedicated card, it is highly suggested that you try the demo before purchase.

Hope the above helps you