Milwaukee picked for 2020 national convention site

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/11/politics/dnc-2020-convention-milwaukee/index.html

Wh000p! this is huge news for my hometown and state. Excellent political move too I think by the DNC as well.
For the past year+, it's been funny reading the comments on local news articles about the possibility of the convention coming here and all the crying and mocking the conservatives have been spewing. Because why would you want 10s of thousands of people coming to you city/state and them spending 10s of millions of dollars in the local economy. I'd love it if the Republican convention was held here too - spend your money here! I don't care what your political alignment is! But for some reason, they don't seem to get that.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/11/politics/dnc-2020-convention-milwaukee/index.html

Wh000p! this is huge news for my hometown and state. Excellent political move too I think by the DNC as well.
For the past year+, it's been funny reading the comments on local news articles about the possibility of the convention coming here and all the crying and mocking the conservatives have been spewing. Because why would you want 10s of thousands of people coming to you city/state and them spending 10s of millions of dollars in the local economy. I'd love it if the Republican convention was held here too - spend your money here! I don't care what your political alignment is! But for some reason, they don't seem to get that.
Dems are definitely not overlooking the Midwest this time around.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I was surprised the RNC picked Charlotte rather than Vegas, Phoenix or even Orange County. I’m glad they’re spending money in my state, but I hope NC goes solid blue next election.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Trump winning WI must have opened their eyes. Hope this state stays red for a while.

My liberal buddies will probably want to attend, I'll just stand outside in my MAGA hat.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I was surprised the RNC picked Charlotte rather than Vegas, Phoenix or even Orange County. I’m glad they’re spending money in my state, but I hope NC goes solid blue next election.
I think the GOP will stay away from Vegas for the foreseeable future. Yes, southern Nevada has some loons like Cliven Bundy and Michelle Fiore but it's fairly solid blue. Add in that the Dems swept the Governor, AG, State Senate and State Assembly in 2018 and the 2020 election will have voter registration at DMV, same day registration, and expanded early voting. The conservative rurals are shooting themselves in the foot by declaring they are "2nd Amendment sanctuary zones" and refusing to enforce a private party background check law enacted by popular vote in 2016. The GOP has no chance here.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I think, technically speaking, Old Style is from LaCrosse? Milwaukee is Miller or Pabst. :)
That's the beer I drank while I was living in Chicago when Hileman Brewing still existed before it was swallowed up by the big conglomerates. Also before the big micro brew industry developed. You're probably right about what's brewed there. Brats are big in the upper Midwest in general.

Reactions: Homerboy

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
That's the beer I drank while I was living in Chicago when Hileman Brewing still existed before it was swallowed up by the big conglomerates. Also before the big micro brew industry developed. You're probably right about what's brewed there. Brats are big in the upper Midwest in general.

Brats are pretty much my summer food. Grill them at least once a week. Grilling some brats, sitting on the deck with Uecker on the radio... ugh summer is the best.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Being an FIB, whenever we are in WI, (visiting family or what not), we always gobble up cheese curds, frozen custard, and often hit up a fish fry if we are in town on Friday. (though all three of these things are available in IL these days).
Another wisconsin favorite, Beer Cheese soup (again, also available in most gastropubs in IL.)

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Being an FIB, whenever we are in WI, (visiting family or what not), we always gobble up cheese curds, frozen custard, and often hit up a fish fry if we are in town on Friday. (though all three of these things are available in IL these days).
Another wisconsin favorite, Beer Cheese soup (again, also available in most gastropubs in IL.)

Those are 3 great things up here. Where do you go for custard? Fish fry at a local pub is always the best.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Great news, maybe they can arrange bus trips to the shiny new Foxconn plant that is such a boon for the WI economy. At least they can offer New Glarus products as consolation, Two Women is my favorite.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

congrats! WI is well on its way to having its very own Chinese Ghost city within your state. brought to you by...well, China!

5395f35f6bb3f70e0995212d-750-438.jpg

but hey! at least those jobs and $$$ to make all that infrastructure to nowhere, right?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I used to live in Milwaukee but a long time ago. Great choice. Question-do they have a convention center large enough to handle this? When I was there the Civic Center was nice but small-they couldn't even qualify to attract a NHL team because of it's size.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Those are 3 great things up here. Where do you go for custard? Fish fry at a local pub is always the best.
I go farther north ... up past Sheboygan and Packerland to Sturgeon Bay where my mom, grandma, and uncle live.

We like the "Frozen Spoon" downtown sturgeon bay. Farther north "Not Licked Yet" custard is fantastic too.
Otherwise, in IL we settle for Culvers.