Millionaire's son evades draft during Nam

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
I wonder if a competent medical professional would describe someone who was incapable of running meaningful distances as 'unequivocally the healthiest person ever to be president'.

What do you think?
Depends. How much can you do outside of jogging that makes you healthy?

What if somebody could swim 20k yards a day instead. Would you consider swimming almost 12 miles a day indicative of a healthy person?

I had a swim coach that couldn't run worth shit because he had metal plates all over from an accident, but the guy could swim all day and never tire.

Last edited:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Hi eskimospy,

We are way past the point, but it makes no difference to his minions who defend every word he makes and breaks. If only one could see him for the chicken droppings he is, it will be worth the time to make this thread.
Huh, chickenshit. As opposed to the conscientious objector or the anti vietnam we communist running on the other side of the aisle. Did you call Billy bob chickenshit also?

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Wouldn't this be a good thing for Lefties? I'm unsure why you're having a problem with it...you guys hate the Mil and War, so wouldn't someone not going be right in line with Lefty ideology? Did you want him to go and be under sniper fire?

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Wouldn't this be a good thing for Lefties? I'm unsure why you're having a problem with it...you guys hate the Mil and War, so wouldn't someone not going be right in line with Lefty ideology? Did you want him to go and be under sniper fire?
Ha, sniper fire. Nice!

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
In a more serious note, my dad lived in MA at the time and registered on 18th birthday, and was classified, I'm not sure 4F, but some classification that put him far back in being picked because he had flat feet. A year or two later the family moved to IL, and he magically became 1A or whatever it was - same flat feet. Had the draft kept going another month or two, he would have been at least drafted.

Not that I doubt a rich/influential parent didn't use that money and/or influence to keep their kid out of Nam/War. Why have your kid get butchered up if you can get them out of it?

swamplizard

Mar 18, 2016
Huh, chickenshit. As opposed to the conscientious objector or the anti vietnam we communist running on the other side of the aisle. Did you call Billy bob chickenshit also?

Hi Legend,

The facts:

1.) He was given school deferments
2.) When that ran out, he was given a "medical deferment"
3.) That was then changed as Disqualified,4-F
4.) He then went on to lie about it
5.) He went on record as saying the Nam POWs were not war heroes
6.) The last time I checked, Bill Clinton is not running for POTUS
7.) This thread is about your weasel, feel free to start one for another candidate.

Have a glorious day in Trump towers.

Feb 4, 2009
Meh nearly every Politician from this era avoided the draft one way or another. Only one I had a problem with was Mitt. He took a religious exemption but then protested to keep the war going.
For the record I voted for Mitt to be Governor. He never explained his younger silliness.

s-ROMNEY-VIETNAM-large.jpg

Last edited:

swamplizard

Mar 18, 2016

Hi chucky,

I served during the Nam, have you given the country any of your time? If so, then thank you for your service. Either way, think before you type blanket assumptions.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Hi Legend,

The facts:

1.) He was given school deferments
2.) When that ran out, he was given a "medical deferment"
3.) That was then changed as Disqualified,4-F
4.) He then went on to lie about it
5.) He went on record as saying the Nam POWs were not war heroes
6.) The last time I checked, Bill Clinton is not running for POTUS
7.) This thread is about your weasel, feel free to start one for another candidate.

Have a glorious day in Trump towers.
Ahh, but it does matter. Because when the shoe was on the the foot re:bill, lefties bitched about it. And now with hillary and bernie, everybody thinks their actions were okay.

And don't even start on McCain. The guy was/is an asshat.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Meh nearly every Politician from this era avoided the draft one way or another. Only one I had a problem with was Mitt. He took a religious exemption but then protested to keep the war going.
For the record I voted for Mitt to be Governor. He never explained his younger silliness.

s-ROMNEY-VIETNAM-large.jpg
This. We haven't had a president who honestly fought in a war for almost 30 years.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Did you even read your own quote? Rather than trying to argue with Luntz, Trump ended up agreeing with Luntz - McCain is a "war hero" because he was captured (not because he actually did anything heroic).

Politifact's analysis breaks it down and agrees that Trump said what everybody in America thinks:
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-trump/trump-i-called-mccain-hero-four-times/
Experts told us these caveats change the meaning of the sentence entirely.

" ‘He’s a war hero because he was captured’ implies that anybody who is captured is called a war hero, but there’s really nothing special about them," said Kathleen Kendall, who studies political campaign communication at the University of Maryland.
Yep, that accurately sums up what happened.

Stated differently, it would go like this:
-----------------------
Luntz: I'm a princess.
Trump. You're not a princess.
Luntz: Are you saying I'm not a princess?
Trump: Sure, you're a "princess" if you say you are. Wearing the little tiara makes you a princess.

In the end, did Trump call him a war hero? He sure did, and he did so while implying he's not a war hero (because he isn't).

This topic was covered before on The Simpsons. It was in the episode where Bart drops a radio down the well and pretends to be a boy who fell in the well. Lisa was on the side of Trump while Homer was on the side of Luntz and the liberal media. Btw Luntz is a part of the neocon republican establishment. I don't want to give the impression he's part of the left.
-----------------
Marge: Dear, lord, before we peel the foil back from your bounty, we ask you to watch over little Timmy O'Toole, who's trapped in that well.
Bart: [snickers] Bwa-ha-ha-ha!
Marge: Bart, what's wrong with you?!
Homer: Yeah, that Timmy is a real hero!
Lisa: How do you mean, Dad?
Homer: Well, he fell down a well and....can't get out.
Lisa: How does that make him a hero?
Homer: Well, it's more than you did!

Feb 4, 2009
This. We haven't had a president who honestly fought in a war for almost 30 years.

Bush Senior did real pilot bombing work during WW2.
Made it more interesting that he showed mercy during the first gulf war. I saw an interview on PBS where he said something like he watched a multimillion dollar helicopter gun ship fly around and stalk one Iraqi soldier who was scrambling for cover. Bush decided there was no reason to continue and keep your pride or something similar.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Hi chucky,

I served during the Nam, have you given the country any of your time?

No, that was way before my time. Had I been around then then I'd absolutely have still registered when turning 18, and since I don't believe I'd have had anything to physically disqualify me (I was in primo shape at 18) I'd most certainly have gone.

If so, then thank you for your service. Either way, think before you type blanket assumptions.

Well, I'm just assuming Lefties here on AT P&N are of those opinions. They very closely, at the least, track with the same Lefty people who hold those common Lefty opinions, so it's just a natural assumption. If you don't then that's cool, consider yourself not one of the people I'm talking about.

Thank you for your service btw, especially considering how the Lefties of the time treated Vietnam vets and how bad the Politicians f*cked that war up, and handled (and continue to handle) returning vets. Absolutely F'ing disgraceful. :mad:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Well, then, shit why are we having this discussion.

You need to chill. I hope you make it to the election without having a stroke.:eek:
I am having fun with this election. Fun to see lefty people especially the sjws and feminists have seizures over trump.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Depends. How much can you do outside of jogging that makes you healthy?

What if somebody could swim 20k yards a day instead. Would you consider swimming almost 12 miles a day indicative of a healthy person?

I had a swim coach that couldn't run worth shit because he had metal plates all over from an accident, but the guy could swim all day and never tire.

We aren't talking about if someone is healthy, we are talking about if someone is 'unequivocally the healthiest person ever elected president'.

Forget the fact that such a statement is inherently unknowable, I mean we had people like Teddy Roosevelt as a president, a guy who basically punched bears in the face for a living, got shot in the chest and kept giving a speech and then after being president went off and headed an expedition into Africa.

Trump's doctor's statement is totally ridiculous and you know it. The fact that Trump was apparently so medically infirm as to be exempted from the draft yet is apparently the healthiest presidential candidate in history four decades later is also ridiculous. By far the most likely answer is either he was lying then or his doctor (and by extension his campaign) is lying now.

Feb 4, 2009
In a more serious note, my dad lived in MA at the time and registered on 18th birthday, and was classified, I'm not sure 4F, but some classification that put him far back in being picked because he had flat feet. A year or two later the family moved to IL, and he magically became 1A or whatever it was - same flat feet. Had the draft kept going another month or two, he would have been at least drafted.

Not that I doubt a rich/influential parent didn't use that money and/or influence to keep their kid out of Nam/War. Why have your kid get butchered up if you can get them out of it?

The Military was such a disorganized mess during that period. My Uncle enlisted to fight in Vietnam. He ended up doing guard duty near an air force base in Alaska.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Did you even read your own quote? Rather than trying to argue with Luntz, Trump ended up agreeing with Luntz - McCain is a "war hero" because he was captured (not because he actually did anything heroic).

Politifact's analysis breaks it down and agrees that Trump said what everybody in America thinks:
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...-trump/trump-i-called-mccain-hero-four-times/

Yep, that accurately sums up what happened.

I did read my link, that's why I posted it! Did you read your own link? Politifact most certainly does not agree that Trump 'said what everyone in America thinks'. Your quote is someone describing what Trump was trying to communicate, not if that thought holds with what Americans think.

As for what Politifact says, they agree with me too:

In short, Trump’s self-defense is flimsy at best. As for his accusation of critics cherry-picking his comments, experts say the pot is calling the kettle black.

"He’s taking his own words out of context. That’s the offense he’s charging the media with," Kendall said.

In the end, did Trump call him a war hero? He sure did, and he did so while implying he's not a war hero (because he isn't).

Not only did I provide you with a direct quote where he said he wasn't a war hero, you also agree with me that the purpose of his statements was to say he wasn't a war hero. Glad to see we agree entirely.

As to what does and what does not constitute a war hero, I'm sure that's an easy statement for you to make. Gross.

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Greetings,

What else is new? A pampered son of a millionaire evades the draft while the many of us served during this blemish of a war. Who do you think I'm talking about?

Not gonna lie. This guy was the first to come to mind.

0GpXfJB.jpg

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
We aren't talking about if someone is healthy, we are talking about if someone is 'unequivocally the healthiest person ever elected president'.

Forget the fact that such a statement is inherently unknowable, I mean we had people like Teddy Roosevelt as a president, a guy who basically punched bears in the face for a living, got shot in the chest and kept giving a speech and then after being president went off and headed an expedition into Africa.

Trump's doctor's statement is totally ridiculous and you know it. The fact that Trump was apparently so medically infirm as to be exempted from the draft yet is apparently the healthiest presidential candidate in history four decades later is also ridiculous. By far the most likely answer is either he was lying then or his doctor (and by extension his campaign) is lying now.

Or that he has a medical issue that dq'd him from service but wouldn't make him unhealthy, as I mentioned. It isn't far fetched.

The statement is ridiculous, just as hillary's is. Unless you have a 3rd party doctor do it, it doesn't make any difference since you can say whatever you want.

I'd far rather have a president who has gone to war. Not fighter jet war, but ground pounding meat grinder war. At least they might have a second thought at sending their brothers in arms through the same thing if it isn't absolutely necessary.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Or that he has a medical issue that dq'd him from service but wouldn't make him unhealthy, as I mentioned. It isn't far fetched.

The statement is ridiculous, just as hillary's is. Unless you have a 3rd party doctor do it, it doesn't make any difference since you can say whatever you want.

The two statements are not even remotely equivalent and you know it.

I'd far rather have a president who has gone to war. Not fighter jet war, but ground pounding meat grinder war. At least they might have a second thought at sending their brothers in arms through the same thing if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Well I do agree with the quote 'war is sweet to those who have never experienced it'.

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
The Military was such a disorganized mess during that period. My Uncle enlisted to fight in Vietnam. He ended up doing guard duty near an air force base in Alaska.

That's what happens when you cut Mil like we did after WWII, and on top of that, try to fight wars with Politicians calling the shots rather than the Mil. We lost Korea (it was a L because in Reality we should have won it had it not been for the failure of the Pols to properly keep China out of the conflict), severely lost in Vietnam because of horrible political decisions imposed on the Mil, achieved our objective in GW1, militarily won GW2 yet nearly lost during the occupation and certainly it's not looking good post leaving (again, more political failure), and have or will basically lose Afghanistan because of further political failure.

The lesson we should be learning is, If we can't stay out of war, then go in and win overwhelmingly with the agreed upon understanding that we'll be there for the next 30 years, gradually moving from complete control to handed off supervision.

Nam was such a waste, anything considered.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
The two statements are not even remotely equivalent and you know it.

Well I do agree with the quote 'war is sweet to those who have never experienced it'.

Ohh come on. A young internist? You really think hillary, who has access to the best medical care in the world, really goes to a young internist?

The access to the world's best doctors on the east coast is second to none. You can cherry pick the best doctors if you have the insurance or money. I know because I saw it first hand.

Have cancer? Which kind? You get your pick of the best surgeons at Sloan Kettering or Johns Hopkins. Need fertility? Go to the best docs at yale, columbia, or Lennox hill. Need the best endocrinologist that treated ghwb for Graves disease? He's in DC.

The best doctors in the world within a couple hours. And you're telling me that she sees a young internist? Fuck no. No fucking way.

Last edited: