Millionaire executive woke up one day and bashed his 2 year old daughter's head in until she died

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Not guilty by reason of insanity.

36-48 months in a wacko ward.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Insurance executive Alberto Izaga suffered an "extreme and sudden" psychological breakdown which made him think the little girl was possessed by the Devil.
.......oookay then.

Consultant psychiatrist Tim Exworthy said Mr Izaga may have thought she was possessed by the Devil. He said he remains profoundly mentally ill.
This sounds rather believable in this instance. Very very weird.
It's unfortunate that whatever problem he had led to a death.

rose.gif

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
Being a parent of two small children, I can safely say that anyone who does something like this is definitely mentally ill. And should be locked up for life.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Being a parent of two small children, I can safely say that anyone who does something like this is definitely mentally ill. And should be locked up for life.
In the USA, we don't imprison the mentally ill, we rehabilitate and treat them.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
The guy sounds like he absolutely lost his mind. As terrible as this is, it's better than some selfish low-life that beats his baby to death for crying too much. At least this guy is insane.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Yeah, except for two things.

1)This didn't happen in the US.
2)If you are deemed to be criminally insane, you are locked up for a LONG time, probably indefinitely.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Poor family. The guy probably just had his brain melt and rewire to be totally screwed up (happens in people who have things that run in the family and the disorder suddenly pops up, so I wonder if something is in his family that the media hasn't caught wind of yet..), and now the wife will lose her husband to a psycho warden and is without a daughter. Don't know who loses most (well, kid lost the most but doesn't care anymore): the man, who probably doesn't understand what happened and is told that he killed his child, or the wife, who both lost a child and quite possibly her love (mentally).

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: jagec
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Yeah, except for two things.

1)This didn't happen in the US.
2)If you are deemed to be criminally insane, you are locked up for a LONG time, probably indefinitely.

is there an implicit difference between criminally and mentally insane? Some disorders, which are deemed mental illnesses, are believed to be treatable. Are you saying that if it was a person mentally insane and committed a crime, they are criminally insane? That's the fine line of morality and ethics here, and I personally don't know where I stand. Technically, a treatment may work, and I think any insane person deserves to have their life back, and that original person typically dies inside.. but I mean, if you could extinguish the insane person, and leave the original mind intact (theoretically possible, depending on the illness and treatments).. then I say let them as they deserve it for suffering what will end up being a very long time. However, the risk that the mental illness merely lies dormant and could cause the person to relapse into another psychotic meltdown, is a very real threat. So, do we doom them all forever, to a life of empty white padded rooms? Even if, say, some of them are great candidates for treatment? And if that's the case, that still dooms some of them, but it makes sense: if we can't treat their disorder, and can't make them able to be safe, then they are screwed.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: destrekor
is there an implicit difference between criminally and mentally insane? Some disorders, which are deemed mental illnesses, are believed to be treatable. Are you saying that if it was a person mentally insane and committed a crime, they are criminally insane? That's the fine line of morality and ethics here, and I personally don't know where I stand. Technically, a treatment may work, and I think any insane person deserves to have their life back, and that original person typically dies inside.. but I mean, if you could extinguish the insane person, and leave the original mind intact (theoretically possible, depending on the illness and treatments).. then I say let them as they deserve it for suffering what will end up being a very long time. However, the risk that the mental illness merely lies dormant and could cause the person to relapse into another psychotic meltdown, is a very real threat. So, do we doom them all forever, to a life of empty white padded rooms? Even if, say, some of them are great candidates for treatment? And if that's the case, that still dooms some of them, but it makes sense: if we can't treat their disorder, and can't make them able to be safe, then they are screwed.

I'm no expert, but IIRC "criminally insane" is simply the legal definition...basically, for legal purposes this criminal is considered "insane".

As far as treatment, I believe the standard is that if the person was well and truly insane, and gets complete treatment, they are allowed to release them back into society. However, the bar is set very high, so they tend to err on the side of caution and leave 'em locked up. (thank you, Wikipedia)

timosyy

Golden Member
Dec 19, 2003
... I don't even know how to feel on this one. It's just sad all the way around :(

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
No drugs were involved? I don't know how a person could just instantly go crazy without some kind of physical influence. Sounds horrible but if the guy is that unstable he should be in an institution for the rest of his life IMO. :(

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
Originally posted by: Kadarin
What if she really was possessed by the Devil?

I know, we could have just dodged a bullet.

LOL. Fantastic.

But in a more serious vein, yikes, this guy really lost it. I feel for the both of them and the rest of the family. Terrible situation.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Just one more reason to not become an insurance agent... that line of work would feel so unrewarding to me. I'm sure it's one of the 1000 little things that led to this.

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Eeezee
Just one more reason to not become an insurance agent... that line of work would feel so unrewarding to me. I'm sure it's one of the 1000 little things that led to this.

You know, you should write a book.

I've never heard such profound statements, so I'd be the first person lining up to get it signed.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
I'm amazed at the wife though. Se saw her daughter die and yet she's willing to forgive him and try to rebuild their lives. I'm not sure if I should be impressed and envious of that levl of dedication or consider her completely crazy

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: mwmorph
I'm amazed at the wife though. Se saw her daughter die and yet she's willing to forgive him and try to rebuild their lives. I'm not sure if I should be impressed and envious of that levl of dedication or consider her completely crazy

I'm pretty impressed with her. Who knows if it's just for show and just for now, but I imagine if all the facts are true then it would seem that she doesn't believe that he was her husband at the time when he lost it and killed their daughter. I don't think you can get any crazier than he apparently became. It'll be interesting to see if he ever becomes normal. Even if I did, in fact, become temporarily insane and murder my daughter, I'm not sure if I could live with myself once I regained my sanity.