Millennials - Not worth employing

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
And yet most "lack the skills to perform complex literacy tasks, such as comparing credit card offers with different interest rates or summarizing the arguments of newspaper editorials." Those are high school skills!

I've wondered more and more lately why schools obsess on focusing on "college-oriented studies", but completely ignore aspects of the studies that relate to real-world situations. You mentioned credit cards, and the question that I ponder if a high school-aged kid could solve is... "If you purchase an Xbox for $499.99 with 8% sales tax on a credit card with 27.99% APR, how long will it take to pay the card off if you pay the minimum payment ($25) each month?"

I don't recall having any lectures on that during high school, but we did have a portion of our 7th grade math dedicated to properly writing checks and balancing a ledger! I feel like that's worth half credit. :p

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
I've wondered more and more lately why schools obsess on focusing on "college-oriented studies", but completely ignore aspects of the studies that relate to real-world situations. You mentioned credit cards, and the question that I ponder if a high school-aged kid could solve is... "If you purchase an Xbox for $499.99 with 8% sales tax on a credit card with 27.99% APR, how long will it take to pay the card off if you pay the minimum payment ($25) each month?"

I don't recall having any lectures on that during high school, but we did have a portion of our 7th grade math dedicated to properly writing checks and balancing a ledger! I feel like that's worth half credit. :p

My understanding is that in some countries bachelor's degree holders have higher pay and lower incidences of poverty than those with high school diplomas, which is why lower schools attempt to prepare students for higher ed. But the same schools also have to teach other forms of literacy, including functional and cultural, which means some subjects are compromised.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
There is a bit of truth to this IMO. It works out to my advantage, I’d much rather compete with 10-20 years younger... they “stress” easier and is so sensitive to others and themselves... so with a little work ethic and durable skin you are already ahead of the curve.

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
The catch is that with automation and newfangled ways of doing business, more businesses also prefer employees with updated skill sets, which means more than just worth ethic and durability.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The catch is that with automation and newfangled ways of doing business, more businesses also prefer employees with updated skill sets, which means more than just worth ethic and durability.
In my line of work, coding/architecture, not really. You put in the work to stay updated, pick jobs that puts you somewhere on the front of things... its all good.

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
In my line of work, coding/architecture, not really. You put in the work to stay updated, pick jobs that puts you somewhere on the front of things... its all good.

That's only true if new programming languages are not used, together with new software for architecture, etc.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
except in PA, which has the filial support law where medical care providers can go after the kids to recoup the money

Yeah, I remember assuming that debt can't be inherited (it can of course wipe out any inheritance) Then I started looking for medical debt and the answer was shockingly murky...like why does no one talk about that?