MilkyWay@H - Benchmark thread Winter 2016 on (different WU) - GPU & CPU times wanted

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Assimilator1, Dec 29, 2016.

1. iwajabitw

iwajabitw Senior member

Put this system together last week.

AMD FX-6300
    MSI 970A-G43
    8GB Gskill Ripjaws
    2x MSI R9 280x
    Running 3 tasks per card, getting about 400,000 ppd from each card daily. GPU time varies from 70-110 sec per task with very little cpu time 24sec or so.
    https://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/results.php?hostid=723824&offset=0&show_names=0&state=4&appid=

But goodness does the top card run hot! 80-85c with a side 140mm blowing on the cards, case is well ventilated. Makes a nice bedroom heater through this small cold snap. But I am betting I'll have to shut down for summer or smoke the cards. May try 1 task per card when the time gets here, just to see if I can keep it up. I'd like to hit 100 mil first.

crashtech likes this.
  2. crashtech

crashtech Diamond Member

Twin 280X GPUs make for a beast of a M@H cruncher!

3. iwajabitw

iwajabitw Senior member

I have gotten good deals off Ebay on the cards. Waching a few more, I blame Newegg for having the cpu combo cheap. LOL

4. Assimilator1

Assimilator1 Elite Member

Nice MW rig! :D

Lmk when you've done some single tasks & then I can post your times.

5. crashtech

crashtech Diamond Member

I have lots of AMD/ATI* cards that I could potentially post times for, if you feel like updating the OP with them. I posted some times here, but since they didn't make it to the OP, I thought this thread was pretty much over.

*5870, 5970, 280x, 285, 290, and Fury.

6. Assimilator1

Assimilator1 Elite Member

Huh? Who said it was over? :confused:
    No it's still going :), it's just that I haven't been on here for a while (partly because I've recently moved into a flat on the 2nd Feb), but also I just don't come on here as regularly as I once did. That said, I should've got some email notifications, but it appears I didn't (I did get 1 this eve) or the email got buried! :eek:.
    So apologies for not replying sooner, but this thread isn't dead :)
    I will update the op with your times, but I can't do it tonight or tomorrow, hopefully later in the week I can though.

crashtech likes this.
  7. iwajabitw

iwajabitw Senior member

Before I shut down for summer, hope I don't have to. I am going to try a week of single tasks to see if the top cards will stay at a decent temp 70C's instead of the mid 80C's, so that will be a good time for me to get those run times. Weather temps have been crazy, last week was cold, today it's warm and time for shorts, after the storms tomorrow it will be cool again. Crazy.

8. TennesseeTony

TennesseeTony Elite Member

280X's max at 100C. Don't fret. Although at 98C they tend to lock the computer. ;)

9. iwajabitw

iwajabitw Senior member

Haha, good to know. It's just no one is ever home during the day and I do set backs on my house thermostat, so it can get pretty warm in the house before the kick down around 5PM.

10. crashtech

crashtech Diamond Member

I check on mine with remote desktop software.

11. iwajabitw

iwajabitw Senior member

Oh yes, I'm a teamvier'er lol.