military stand up and say hello

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Veteran US Army '93 - '96
12B - Combat Engineer
Ft. Leonard Wood Missouri, 577th Engr. Battalion

To those on active duty, keep the hard work. It is appreciated!

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Veteran 1980 (Active Duty) - 10 Reserves - O4
USAF - Weapons Officer F15 Eagle

CKXP

Nov 20, 2005
MOS 31C, US Army from 1996-2000

17th Avation Brigade, S. Korea, Camp CRC/Yongsan 96-97
11th Signal Brigade, FT Huachuca, AZ 97-00

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: Horus
Corporal, serving with 11 Hamilton-Wentworth Battery, part 11 Field Regiment out of Guelph, Ontario...member of a 105MM howitzer detachment

Ubique!

"DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE NOISE...YOU'LL GET USED TO IT" said the old artillery sergeant...

very true
the officer (Cpt), that teaches my military science class for ROTC is air defense.. he has a story of one of his first days in Iraq where a line of howitzers next to him were firing off many rounds while he was asleep. he said he thought there was about 60 rounds launched, but found out there was over 150+ from the group of howitzers, with over 70 launched from the gun immediately next to him in whatever he was sleeping in (may have been a Stryker)... and he thought they only fired over a max of 60 from the group. he slept right through them firing off rounds, not to mention having mortars hit near them.
might not be a good thing that he adjusted to the noise. must have been soothing. lol

his hearing isn't bad, as he can hear us just fine even when we aren't talking that loud.

btw, yea, im in ROTC, first year, but already know, without a doubt, I'm sticking through all 4 years and plan to retire from the Army, unless something happens that makes me want to get out and get into the government career track for intelligence.

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: destrekor
Corporal, serving with 11 Hamilton-Wentworth Battery, part 11 Field Regiment out of Guelph, Ontario...member of a 105MM howitzer detachment

Ubique!

"DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE NOISE...YOU'LL GET USED TO IT" said the old artillery sergeant...

very true
the officer (Cpt), that teaches my military science class for ROTC is air defense.. he has a story of one of his first days in Iraq where a line of howitzers next to him were firing off many rounds while he was asleep. he said he thought there was about 60 rounds launched, but found out there was over 150+ from the group of howitzers, with over 70 launched from the gun immediately next to him in whatever he was sleeping in (may have been a Stryker)... and he thought they only fired over a max of 60 from the group. he slept right through them firing off rounds, not to mention having mortars hit near them.
might not be a good thing that he adjusted to the noise. must have been soothing. lol

his hearing isn't bad, as he can hear us just fine even when we aren't talking that loud.

btw, yea, im in ROTC, first year, but already know, without a doubt, I'm sticking through all 4 years and plan to retire from the Army, unless something happens that makes me want to get out and get into the government career track for intelligence.

You'd be amazed what you can sleep through when you're deployed. It was nothing for me to sleep through grenade training a couple hundred yards away, C-5 and C-17 jet noise from the flightline, C-130s running their engines for over an hour, and the constant drum of helos flying overhead. It's an acquired talent for some, but it serves you for a lifetime! :thumbsup:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: AndrewR
Originally posted by: destrekor

Ubique!

very true

You'd be amazed what you can sleep through when you're deployed. It was nothing for me to sleep through grenade training a couple hundred yards away, C-5 and C-17 jet noise from the flightline, C-130s running their engines for over an hour, and the constant drum of helos flying overhead. It's an acquired talent for some, but it serves you for a lifetime! :thumbsup:

i can imagine it can be quite the deadly trait to though, so its nice for one person around you not to have that trait.. will suck for them but may save lives lol

yokomo

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2000
I honestly think it is harder to sleep in dead silence I have to have some kind of noise or I cannot fall asleep..the best night sleep is when it is a cool night about mid 40's on the hood of the Humvee while it is running.