Military assesment shows caravan not a threat but unregulated malitias are

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I don't agree with you in regard to highlighting a bad or worst case scenario such as Bracamontes. He's a valid face of illegal criminal aliens although i'll grant you that he's an extreme case. It's not as if the left side of this forum and topic don't use extreme cases for their own agendas.

I'm sure you can name a few.

You know it's a fear mongering racist pitch. You also know it's wrong to blame Dems for Bracamontes.

But that's what Trump is doing.

Jul 9, 2009
What you think your odds are between being offed by a Bracamontes and getting hit by a meteor?
What lengths should society go to, with all the collateral damage, to stop that man? How many innocents are you willing to push over the edge to catch that one guy?
Its always a math question, you keep running with your feels of fear. Its a powerfull tool and you are being programmed to believe in illogical shit.
You're a Russian aren't you? No wonder you claim to be a "Citizen of Europe"

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I'm sure some of the criminal illegal immigrants are Very Fine People.

As I'm sure there are very fine Nazis, as trump claims and I'm sure there are some very fine trump supporters who happen to want to murder people for having different opinions than them. But you seem to be ok with those people so.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
It is interesting that the Democrats in my state have not made a single ad in their campaigns in support of allowing the caravan into America. The Republicans prominently feature the caravan in their ads. If Democrats feel like open borders is a winning issue for them, they should be running on it. They are not. Hell they are avoiding the issue like the plague.

Reactions: imported_tajmahal

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
While I am all in favor of treating people with dignity and respect I am not in favor of an open border. I wonder if they'll break the families up again?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
It is interesting that the Democrats in my state have not made a single ad in their campaigns in support of allowing the caravan into America. The Republicans prominently feature the caravan in their ads. If Democrats feel like open borders is a winning issue for them, they should be running on it. They are not. Hell they are avoiding the issue like the plague.

Maybe because the entire notion that Democrats support open borders is a farce?

The real question is why should anyone with a functioning brain trust Republicans to do ANYTHING to fix immigration? As long as the system is broken and causing problems, they can forever whip up the FUD within their pathetic base any time they need votes.

Republicans have had multiple chances to do something about immigration. They scuttled their own bipartisan immigration reform bill under Obama (Marco Rubio's famous waffling) and blew two chances with single party rule under Trump because he kept moving the goalposts. They have no intention of "solving" this issue because many of the small business owners and "jerb creators" they support prefer having second class workers with no legal rights and no minimum wage.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Maybe because the entire notion that Democrats support open borders is a farce?

Of course it's a farce, but it appeals to the black & white thinkers of the GOP base.

Build the Wall! or Open Borders! is a false choice they embrace w/o question.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
They are not and that's why they don't run on it.

You would have known the answer if you took the time to be informed not parrot talking points.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
The caravan is a distraction, not an issue.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Agreed. I'd very much like to know who's paying the bills, that would give us a clue as to what this particular dog and pony show is all about.

The attribution that the caravan survives other than from their own savings & the kindness of Mexicans is unfounded. It's conspiracy theory.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The attribution that the caravan survives other than from their own savings & the kindness of Mexicans is unfounded. It's conspiracy theory.
Savings? You're telling me that those people have money? Do they use a debit card or carry cash?
The Mexicans supporting them I believe. I don't believe this was some organic movement that simply appeared one day. That at least a few of them already have attorneys in the US makes me believe that there is outside money in play.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Savings? You're telling me that those people have money? Do they use a debit card or carry cash?
The Mexicans supporting them I believe. I don't believe this was some organic movement that simply appeared one day. That at least a few of them already have attorneys in the US makes me believe that there is outside money in play.

They saved & sold everything they had to take a chance on America.

I guess it's not Soros. Pence says it's the wicked Venezuelans-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg-mMIV53go

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Do these guys plan on shooting families that sneak over the border? They are NOT law enforcement and can not place them under arrest. This does not go well under any circumstance.

The next concern should be what happens when one of these dumb-ass, unregulated militia members fires across the border into Mexico and wounds or kills someone? After all the hate coming from the US, I imagine retaliation would be immediate if they have military on the other side (regardless if they are trying to hold back immigrants or to protect themselves from these para-military types). If this administration wasn't so fucking stupid, they would be actively moving these yahoos away from the border. This could quickly escalate into a real conflict with Mexico when some hateful ass hats pulls the trigger and Mexico retaliates. We should really pay attention to Mexico and see if they are lining any military along their border in the coming weeks.

Rhetoric about Mexico "sending" illegals over is one thing, firing bullets into a sovereign nation is another. Whether it is our military or what is deemed as a sanctioned force, it will be construed as an aggressive act. Normal de-escalation discussions won't go well because our commander in chief is a fucking idiot. Also, since dumb-fuck has alienated our allies, I would expect the likes of Germany, Canada, UK, etc. to take the side Mexico. Boy won't we look stupid surrounded by our former allies as we scramble to do damage control.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...military-concerns_us_5bdfae33e4b04367a87ddc1f

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

It's interesting that Democrats in my state have not made a single in their campaigns in support of white supremacists and candidates who are just that. The Republicans prominently feature these candidates in their ads. If Republicans feel like the support of white nationalistic supremacists is a winning issue, then they should be running ads for it. I haven't seen burning crosses and white hoods with "These are true patriots" or the like. Hell, they're avoiding mentioning their support for a white nationalist racist theocracy like the plague.