Mike Tyson vs. Evander Holyfield III???

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
There has been recent rumblings in the Boxing world that Evander Holyfield and Mike Tyson could fight for a third time. Now in an exclusive interview with the Guardian's Donald McRae, Holyfield has admitted that Tyson indeed approached him, through an intermediary, to discuss the possibility of a rematch.

"There has been some talk between us," Holyfield stated, adding: "Mike had Jeff Fenech, who's been training him, call me a few months ago."

Holyfield went on to add that if the money was right and if Tyson dedicated himself to the fight, he would probably fight Tyson again.

Holyfield stated: "Jeff says Mike wants to fight me again - but he needs to know if I would agree to it. I said, 'It all depends on what they gonna give us - because I'm gonna catch a lot of flak if I say I'm fighting Mike Tyson again. I've already said I don't want to fight Mike no more'. Jeff says, 'What if Mike gets in proper shape?' I told him that's OK but I can't be part of it if Mike's going to pull out. "

"Jeff said, 'The main thing Mike wants to know is if you would be willing to fight him again?' I said, 'Yeah, if the price is right, I probably would'."

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Benz/BenzN022808.htm

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
i wish i could care about something like this.

but boxing is such a non-entity to me nowadays : (

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: rocadelpunk

Boxing just lacks any real superstar or talent right now. It's all a bunch of hack russians right now! Right now seems to be all about the middleweight and those type of classes.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: LikeLinus

Boxing just lacks any real superstar or talent right now. It's all a bunch of hack russians right now! Right now seems to be all about the middleweight and those type of classes.

not just that but the curruption is insane. also way to many belts.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This has to be a joke, right? I wonder if what Holyfield means by Mike being serious, is "don't bite my ear this time bro!":laugh:

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: LikeLinus

not just that but the curruption is insane. also way to many belts.

Floyd Mayweather = superstar/MAJOR talent. No one recognizes it though because he's not a heavyweight and doesn't put on a crazy show of boxers just murdering each other (which is what the public wants to see, but he displays a true talent at boxing) Corruption wise? I'm sure it's there, but Mr. Mayweather suuure has won me some money :D

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Crap like this is one of the many reasons MMA has overtaken boxing in popularity, which is a shame really.

KT

Mar 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Originally posted by: Josh
Originally posted by: Kev
MMA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Boxing

Bah! Boxing is/always was tougher than current MMA.

No freaking way MMA pwns boxing.

Bullcrap! Boxing is in no way tougher. Make boxing bareknuckle and then MAYBE it will truly compare to catching an elbow to the face.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: SociallyChallenged
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Originally posted by: Josh
Originally posted by: Kev
MMA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Boxing

Bah! Boxing is/always was tougher than current MMA.

No freaking way MMA pwns boxing.

Bullcrap! Boxing is in no way tougher. Make boxing bareknuckle and then MAYBE it will truly compare to catching an elbow to the face.

I dunno about all that man. A good fight in boxing, where two prized fighters are going at it, it's common to see them take 750 shots to the head. It's that constant trauma to the head in boxing that makes it so incredibly dangerous. You might not get a lot of the instant superficial damage like you do in MMA, but that's just cosmetic not really traumatic to the body or mental state.

In UFC, you can look at a lot of fights where no one will take a shot to the head and end in a wrestling submission. I'm also pretty sure that theres a serious injury or/death in boxing each year, I don't think there has been one in regulated MMA history. A lot of the "serious" injuries in UFC injuries are just common things in boxing like broken hand/nose. While it's common in boxing to recieve a concussion, liver/organ damage, loss of memory, and short to moderate term equilibrium dissorders such as dizziness and blurred vision.

In the words of professional mixed martial artist John Rallo,

"After all the goal in boxing is to punch you opponent in the head until he is unconscious. This is not the goal in our sport. There are many other ways to win. Since 1900 their have been over 1000 documented deaths in boxing. There has been 1 in MMA in 70 years. That was in Russia at an unsanctioned event. Ironically the death was caused by strikes to the head."

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
I watch it on Youtube the day/week after it comes out.....because I CARE just that much.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Tyson must be getting hungry. An ear can only be considered an appetizer really.

Seriously though, is boxing is this bad a shape that a fight like this is even being thought of?

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: jjones
Tyson must be getting hungry. An ear can only be considered an appetizer really.

Seriously though, is boxing is this bad a shape that a fight like this is even being thought of?

Unless Mayweather keeps fighting and even then the Hatton fight wasn't as watched as De La Hoya/Mayweather.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Getting back to OP's post, the fight wouldn't be bad as 3 round exhibition as an under-card, but no way as a featured event. Both fighters would be lucky to have 3 good rounds left in them.

btw-there's a nice fight coming this saturday night. Two guys with a lot of offense.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Ugh, what happened to professional heavyweight boxing? I miss the days of Ali. Tyson brought that excitement back for a moment in his younger days, but it was sure fleeting.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
HEAVYweight boxing is in the dumps right now, but there's some great stuff going in the Middle and Light Heavyweight divisions.

I enjoy MMA from time to time, but its not boxing. The problem with MMA is that half the fights are over in 30 seconds, and others just spend most of it rolling around on each other for 5 minutes. There are some good fights, but most of them are pretty uninteresting (not saying there aren't boring boxing matches too)..

I think the popularity of MMA is a short-term thing, and people will tire of it quickly.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Slick5150
HEAVYweight boxing is in the dumps right now, but there's some great stuff going in the Middle and Light Heavyweight divisions.

I enjoy MMA from time to time, but its not boxing. The problem with MMA is that half the fights are over in 30 seconds, and others just spend most of it rolling around on each other for 5 minutes. There are some good fights, but most of them are pretty uninteresting (not saying there aren't boring boxing matches too)..

I think the popularity of MMA is a short-term thing, and people will tire of it quickly.

It's been a good 15+ years since the early UFC days...

Illusio

Golden Member
Nov 28, 1999
Tyson really doesn't have the same appeal as he did when he was in his prime. I can't even remember the last good fight I saw him in. He should just stay away.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
I used to like boxing.

The last few years I've been into watching MMA and have ignored boxing.

Tyson/Holyfield III, jeebus that sport is in trouble.

Fern

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Dark Jedi
Tyson really doesn't have the same appeal as he did when he was in his prime. I can't even remember the last good fight I saw him in. He should just stay away.

Yea I agree but I'd still buy it on pay per view :p