Migrating old hard drive w/ windows 7 into Skylake (and newer unsupported ) platforms

Apr 5, 2005
Long story short- i have an HTPC setup w/ Windows 7 on an ivy bridge platform that i would like to upgrade to kaby lake or coffee lake platform. i've moved this hard drive several times already, but always on another ivy bridge platform, either a NUC or a different motherboard manufacturer but same chipset w/o issue (have to reactivate but no problem). Has anyone tried moving a windows 7 install to a newer unsupported platform like skylake and above? What kind of issues did you guys encounter?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Main problem are the Drivers.

So... make sure that you have a second computer to connect to the Internet so you can find Drivers of Win 7 when needed save to install on the Kabey Lake.

I am using Win 7 that was moved from ivy to to Kabe Lake.

New computer Intel Core i7-7700K on GIGABYTE B250M-DS3H-CF

Main problem are the Drivers.

As a first step I had to use a simple old USB mouse with USB to PS2 adapter since the USB did work with newer USB Mouse.

Then Installed Intel;

General Intel for Win7 Kaby

IntelUSB30

And LAN drivers if needed.

:cool:

P.S. I lost the URLs but I found the solution and downloads by Searching the Internet.

I also has problems with the SATA recognizing the SSD, but I think that it was due to using a the Win 7 SSD from computer that was on IDE instead of ACHI. I manged to take care of it by changing few registry subkeys.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS