Migrate SCSI RAID 5 array XPP

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Hi all, I have purchased myself a new SATA 640GB drive for storage and would like to migrate the XP build from an Adaptec RAID 5 array to a 80GB SATA drive so I can get rid of the SCSI drives....

Now in order to do this, do I only have to use device manager to uninstall the controller & disk, shutdown down, clone to sata drive, change BIOS boot order and start up in safe mode on the SATA drive to install the SATA drives (non raid), OR, do you think I will need to repair install, or clean install period.....?

Hoping for the best!

Blazer

Golden Member
Nov 5, 1999
raid, plus a raid card, and going to non-raid, seems like some headaches coming from that, you will save alot of time and headaches by just a clean install to a good drive, imo.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
The RAID part is irrelevant, the problem is switching storage drivers in Windows. You might be able to get away with installing the new drivers before you clone or doing a repair install afterwards but it's hit or miss.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Hi, well SATA drivers are already on the system, as the current 2 x 80Gb SATA drives are storage.....I am hoping to transfer the RAID 5 to 1 SATA and have the other for a Vista O/s and dual boot....

I think I will give it a go 1st, if that fails, try repair....

Will let you know outcome...

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Hi guys, just a quick note to let you know I had a successful migration using Clone Zilla, didnt even need to change disk drivers as the system already had the sata drivers installed for the storage drives....