Might & Magic Dark Messiah

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
I've been playing Dark Messiah (in chapter 5 now - so I guess it is pretty short). While the game has a few bugs; and the controls can be a bit awkward (esp when trying to jump or move around obstacles) the graphics are not bad and it is actually rather fun.

If I remember correctly the game didn't sell very well but has anyone else played it? Are there additional stories (or mods) ? Will there be another one ?

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Very fun game. Coming up with ways to use physics to kill something = awesome!

The game had some stability issues when it was released. I played it about a year after (with the patches) and it was amazing.

skyofavalon

Jul 11, 2007
I thought the multiplayer stunk,but the single player was good,better than average.I came across a bug that wouldnt let me advance so I never beat it.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Agreed, excellent game, some common complaints were that it was too short and too linear, which is true to a degree, but didn't diminish how much fun it was. I got it free with my 8800GTS but I would've certainly bought it otherwise. It was definitely one of the first games I played at 1920 with my GTS that had that "wow" factor.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
It is not related to HoMM. It is not even (imho) related to Might and Magic games. It is sort of like farcry 2 relationship to farcry - 'cept (other than being short and linear) is as good or better (shouldn't say better since it really is very different) than the old Might and Magic games (imho).

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
SP was pretty fun, except for the last level. I won't spoil it but :|

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: chizow
Agreed, excellent game, some common complaints were that it was too short and too linear, which is true to a degree, but didn't diminish how much fun it was. I got it free with my 8800GTS but I would've certainly bought it otherwise. It was definitely one of the first games I played at 1920 with my GTS that had that "wow" factor.

I got it the same way you did(7900gs I think...Can't remember...) I loved the game. It was actually one of the most fun games I've played. Between that and Fable, is the most RPG I want in a computer game(very little). A FPS with medieval weapons...Good fun.

katank

Jul 18, 2008
Well, combat was frankly poorly balanced. The concept of being able to use environment as weapon was cool but being able to instafrag enemies by kicking them into conspicuously placed spike racks make things a little too easy. The stamina upgrade also enabled you to kick practically indefinitely, sending them flying off cliff or into the aforementioned spike racks.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I really enjoyed the game. As a whole the title isn't entirely great, but it does have some very satisfying gameplay elements.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
Originally posted by: katank
Well, combat was frankly poorly balanced. The concept of being able to use environment as weapon was cool but being able to instafrag enemies by kicking them into conspicuously placed spike racks make things a little too easy. The stamina upgrade also enabled you to kick practically indefinitely, sending them flying off cliff or into the aforementioned spike racks.

gee, thanks for the spoiler. now i know all i have to do is kick monsters to win the game.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Originally posted by: minmaster
Originally posted by: katank

gee, thanks for the spoiler. now i know all i have to do is kick monsters to win the game.

Just because you know the tricks, it doesn't mean you have to use them ;^)