Midterm voting issues thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
There was a Sheriff dude at my polling location, typically there are Police because parking is difficult during peak hours. Cop keeps traffic flowing.
Went mid day with no traffic problems, the sheriff guy yelled at me for using the unmarked bathroom instead of the men’s room.
I said sorry I assumed the open door meant it could be used and left.
Tough being a repressed white guy

You should have told him you won't be repressed by identifying with a bathroom gender and gone in anyway. Of course then you would have been pepper sprayed and tased for not respecting this authority over the toilet.

Feb 4, 2009
You should have told him you won't be repressed by identifying with a bathroom gender and gone in anyway. Of course then you would have been pepper sprayed and tased for not respecting this authority over the toilet.

Nah it didn’t have a sign on the door, maybe it’s being renamed the gender nuetral bathroom, it looked like an old school handicap bathroom.
The claim was it’s being worked on. The only work I saw was the floor had a few tiles pulled up.
No sign saying do not use either.

Nov 29, 2006
Vote by mail is a really good solution here in CO. It promotes turnout so the GOP hates it, obviously.

You think it would be easier if the GOP just adopted a stance on positions most people liked. I guess that is too much to ask though.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I can't remember an issue, but this is Berkeley, CA. I will vote soon, it's approaching mid-day, I usually vote earlier. I expect no issue. I'm 1/2 block away and ride my bike. Republicans are scarce around here, it's extremely multi-ethnic, Diversity rules. The election workers are courteous.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Vote by mail is a really good solution here in CO. It promotes turnout so the GOP hates it, obviously.
Yep. Voting in Oregon is as smooth as it gets. You get your ballot in the mail. Fill it out and sign the envelope. Either mail it or put it in a drop box at your convenience. No lines. No trouble. I anticipate republican controlled states will continue to make things difficult so that you basically need to be retired or able to take the whole day off to vote.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Lol the old white dudes in my office are talking about Pizza to the Polls as a liberal conspiracy to get black people's votes. Somebody should investigate.

I am becoming so impatient for the demise of the generation that proceeds me.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Lol the old white dudes in my office are talking about Pizza to the Polls as a liberal conspiracy to get black people's votes. Somebody should investigate.

It's amazing to me that not so long ago voter participation was viewed as an unambiguously good thing and both parties would (at least publicly) vigorously encourage people to vote. Now that partisans seem to have internalized the fact that higher turnout is generally helpful to Democrats we have Republicans taking an actively negative stance against it.

That's a truly amazing and terrifying thing to me - one of the two governing parties in a democracy is anti-voting.

Jan 25, 2011
It's amazing to me that not so long ago voter participation was viewed as an unambiguously good thing and both parties would (at least publicly) vigorously encourage people to vote. Now that partisans seem to have internalized the fact that higher turnout is generally helpful to Democrats we have Republicans taking an actively negative stance against it.

That's a truly amazing and terrifying thing to me - one of the two governing parties in a democracy is anti-voting.
Hopefully at the end of the day there will be far more Dem governors in place for the 2020 redistricting. For me that is the most important part of this entire day. When it became obvious the Senate was staying red I stopped caring.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You think it would be easier if the GOP just adopted a stance on positions most people liked. I guess that is too much to ask though.

Their right wing billionaire donors don't support such positions. So long as they can take the money & chump the voters, that's what they'll do.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Alabama. Higher turnout, faster process than prior years. Smooth as always.

Turnout hasn't been this high since 2008.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Hopefully at the end of the day there will be far more Dem governors in place for the 2020 redistricting. For me that is the most important part of this entire day. When it became obvious the house was staying red I stopped caring.

Huh? When did it become obvious the house was staying red? If anything it's the opposite.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Hopefully at the end of the day there will be far more Dem governors in place for the 2020 redistricting. For me that is the most important part of this entire day. When it became obvious the house was staying red I stopped caring.

Why do you think that's obvious?

woodman1999

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2003
Walked into my daughters elementary school in northern NJ at 715, voted, walked out at 725. Easy peezy lemon squeezy

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Well I have an issue.
I went to vote and Hillary was not on the ballot.
Crap...
I thought delusional democrats from 2016 could have a second chance to wise up and this time chose Hillary instead of their being fooled into picking Trump last time.
I mean seriously, shouldn't buyers remorse democrats have their second chance for redemption?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Besides that the conspiratorial nature of the things that I hear just boggles the mind. Part of that is their generation being on FB and believing everything they see...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Dammit. Senate! I swear I know what I'm talking about honest.

Ah, that makes way more sense, haha.

I wouldn't put the Senate as out of reach though as polling errors are likely correlated. If the Democrats do in fact take the house then the odds of them taking the Senate as well are likely considerably better than 15%. They still won't be great, but they are probably somewhere in the 30%+ range.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Couldn't figure out where to put this. It's just too funny not to post.

So Bob Menendez is running against Bob Hugin for Senate in New Jersey, and Trump tweets:

To which Menendez reples:

LOL@ dumbass-in-chief. :D

Ok that got a chuckle. Trump really isn't good at the details lol.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
There was a Sheriff dude at my polling location, typically there are Police because parking is difficult during peak hours. Cop keeps traffic flowing.
Went mid day with no traffic problems, the sheriff guy yelled at me for using the unmarked bathroom instead of the men’s room.
I said sorry I assumed the open door meant it could be used and left.
Tough being a repressed white guy

So tough. My local police had the nerve to hold the door open for me.

Jan 25, 2011
Ah, that makes way more sense, haha.

I wouldn't put the Senate as out of reach though as polling errors are likely correlated. If the Democrats do in fact take the house then the odds of them taking the Senate as well are likely considerably better than 15%. They still won't be great, but they are probably somewhere in the 30%+ range.
I just want redistricting done. Hopefully done the right way, not just redrawn to put is in the same situation on the other side of the aisle.

There are a lot of Governorships that look like they could change hands tonight.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Most Republican voter suppression efforts usually occur during the leadup to an election, not on election day itself.

There's no partisan slant that I detected in the OP. Most election day voter issues are the result of something you and I can both deride--sheer government incompetence!

The victim card, it's his only trick.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I just want redistricting done. Hopefully done the right way, not just redrawn to put is in the same situation on the other side of the aisle.

There are a lot of Governorships that look like they could change hands tonight.

I very much agree, if we can't count on SCOTUS to rule partisan gerrymandering unconstitutional then this is our only hope. We can't afford any more elections where the Democrats need a giant, national wave election just to get a bare majority because the other side has stacked the deck so badly.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Aren't you their boss, though?

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
This is where we complain right? My paper ballot that went straight into the ballot holder box thing was too fast, I didn't even get to be late for work.

Honestly living in BFE has it's advantages one of which being that I have never seen any kind of voting machine or scanner.