MIDI Files Don't Play...HELP!!!

Srikanth

Feb 14, 2000
I'm unable to play MIDI files (.mid and .rmi) with Windows Media Player 6.0 on my computer. But other wav, mpeg, mp3 and avi files seem to be playing quite well.

I have checked everything but to no avail. What could be the problem?

Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Srikanth

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
Check your volume settings of that little speaker thingy in your system tray. Quite often things volume will change, get muted, etc. I hve no idea why, but it happens.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I assume you're running Win98 or Win95. Right click on "My Computer" and go to the bottom of the drop down menu that appears. You then select "Properties". This will take you to your "System Properties". What you do at this point is look in your Sound and Multimedia drivers on the "Device Manager" tab. What you need to make sure is that you do not see any Yellow exclamation points on this part of the menu. If you see one on your Midi device, that's your problem. Sometimes Midi devices get disabled somehow or another device tries to use the same port. If you do see an exclamation point in a yellow circle on here you can click on it to highlight it and then click on the "Remove" button. Windows will confirm that you want to do this and you will click "yes". Once you do that for all the devices with the exclamation points on them click ok or close(can't remember what it says) to exit out of the System Properties dialog box. It might or might not ask you to reboot, but you should either way. When you do, it will reinstall the devices that had conflicts and you may be asked for the driver disks for the devices you removed so have 'em ready. I hope that helps you.

Srikanth

Feb 14, 2000
There were no yellow exclamations on any devices. Itried updating the drivers, but no use :(

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
What sound card are you using? If you have a SB Live, then you have to use the Creative Mixer to enable sound for MIDI -- or go to your Start Menu and double click on Creative Launcher which should put a toolbar on top of your screen.

From there you can hit the Volume tab and enable MIDI (for some reason the SB Live allows just a few open sound channels -- open one and another closes so if you lose wav, cd, line-in sound, then this is the way to get the sound back).

Hope this helps...