mid--> high-arched feet people , what casual shoes do you wear?

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Anyone here with moderate to high arch feet, or who feel that most shoes have footbed that feel too "flat" after extended walking?

What shoes have you found comfortable now?

I'm trying to find a casual pair for traveling, city-exploring, maybe very light hiking. NB makes a bunch of models, but grandpa shoes are a little too extreme.

Looking for something more casual like Ahnus, Merrell, Asics, Salomons, etc. Anyone got a good pair?

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I have really high-arched feet, and I had a pair of orthodics (custom shoe inserts) made. Basically you stand on a platform and all of these plastic needles come up out of the platform to capture the contour of your foot. This data is then used to construct shoe inserts that are fit exactly to your feet. They are expensive, although my insurance covered all of it and they are supposed to last for at least 10 years.

You can then pull out the inserts and use them in whatever pair of shoes you want. I usually use regular Asics running shoes, which also have a lot of arch support by themselves.

HardcoreRomantic

Jun 20, 2007
I actually bought a pair of tennis shoes from Target that look a lot like Pumas and they work for me. My brother has really high arches (one of his doctors told him his arches were the worst he had seen) just buys the inserts or uses athletic tape (I used to also, just somewhat uncomfortable in the summer with sweaty feet).

OOBradm

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
Asics is usually pretty good at describing what shoes are good for people with high arches. Also if your looking to find the perfect shoe find out if you an under or over pronater

link: http://library.advanced.org/30...on2.0/shoes/page3.html

I have high arches and overpronate so I found a good pair of asics for that, however i cant remember the model.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I've got VERY high arched feet and have both of these Merrell shoes:

"World" <-- More casual

Chameleon <-- More "outdoorsy"

Both of them are incredibly comfortable. Especially the second one.

Another line to look at are the Privo's from Clark.
linky

MyThirdEye

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Adidas has a Clima-Cool shoe out (I think they're called that) That I wear. Works good.

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
well i have the opposite. my feet are a bit flat. but you get a custom insert and just put it in the shoe. i wear regular sport shoes. nike or adidas. which ever one is cheaper.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
I would say i have above average arches, and have very little problems. I go through about 12 pairs of shoes at a store before i pick one and just do trial and error for the inserts if need be, but so far i've only needed them for heavy steel toe boots.

My advice is to just try a wide range of shoes at a store to see what you like, if you feel the need get 3 or so pairs of inserts and just go for long walks to try them out.

I have also noted that stiff soled sneakers are horrible for rough terrain, but doesn't matter much for side walks.