Mid 2009 Mac book Pro. Swollen battery!

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I have a mid 2009 macbook pro that I havent used in months. I was going to sell to a co-worker so she could use her idevices. Took it to work, plugged it in, opened the top and noticed my trackpad bulging up. Looked like someone stepped on it underneath but nope. Opened it up and saw the battery was bulging massively on the top and bottom so i took it out and its like a balloon. Trackpad went back in place and I turned it on without a battery and it looks like there is no damage.

So, being that this is a 6 year old laptop and I took out the battery, should I take this to Apple and demand a battery? These things should NOT swell up and I can only imaging what could of happened it I decided to charge the laptop without opening the lid!

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Yes, take it to an Apple Store (make an appt) and see what happens. Maybe nothing, as it is 6 years old, but at the very least they'll be able to take the battery off your hands and dispose of it properly.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
You can get a third party battery for like $40.

Yeah, ordered one from newegg after I posted. Rather spend the 40+ bucks than deal with an apple store and an apple genius. I will pass by the apple store just to drop off the battery tho. Dont want to toss these things in the trash.