Microwave + Cell Phone = Bad JuJu **UPDATE!! I got a new phone!!**

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: AngryPirate
Originally posted by: PoPPeR something else to add... i'm a member of sprintusers.com, and we had a thread once on people who have tried taking their phones in after microwaving them (on purpose however, since they wanted new ones). I think the concept was that a couple a second and it's fried, and then hopefully the people that took it back wouldn't be aware of what really happened to it. Worth a shot, $250 to you is a bigger deal then $250 to wherever you bought it from.
Hmmm, there is a small bit of external damage done to the outside but nothing that would denote what actually happened to it. We'll see, the worst they can do is say no right? I would imagine the damage done to the phone is consistent to what would happen if it were hit by a power surge. SUrges are covered under the extended warranty. Hmmmm..... <WICKEDLY together hands rubs>
yeah the worst thing they can do is say no... if they accuse you of being a liar, punch them in the face and run :). Who knows, maybe you came home one day and the phone just wasn't working. As far as technical details go, look through this thread. Apparently, if nothing on the outside is melted or whatever then a simple check will show that the phone gets no reception and it should be under warrenty. Normally I'd condone this of course but it's really not your fault.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
Aren't microwaves usually high up on a counter or shelf ?

Not high enough.
You don't have any cats or other small pets, do you ? Cause they can get cold too... ;)

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Thanks to my wonderful, curious, recently strangled young cousin, my cell phone had an all-expense paid trip to the microwave for about 3 seconds today. It is completely dead and to quote my friend and yours Ralph Wiggum..."it smells like burning".

Oh well, it's only my phone numbers and 50 or so various pictures and not to mention $230. Maybe I can convince Best Buy that it was caused by a power surge and get it covered under my PSP....highly doubt it though.

Good start to the day!!!

tell best buy it just stopped working. you don't know what happened to it. you will get a new one.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Thanks to my wonderful, curious, recently strangled young cousin, my cell phone had an all-expense paid trip to the microwave for about 3 seconds today. It is completely dead and to quote my friend and yours Ralph Wiggum..."it smells like burning".

Oh well, it's only my phone numbers and 50 or so various pictures and not to mention $230. Maybe I can convince Best Buy that it was caused by a power surge and get it covered under my PSP....highly doubt it though.

Good start to the day!!!

tell best buy it just stopped working. you don't know what happened to it. you will get a new one.

WobbleWobble

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

Not high enough.
You don't have any cats or other small pets, do you ? Cause they can get cold too... ;)

OMG! That is so bad! :disgust:

You've been reading too many urban legends! :p

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: WobbleWobble

Not high enough.

OMG! That is so bad! :disgust:

You've been reading too many urban legends! :p
The cruelty of young children isn't really an urban legend. I knew someone, whos brother put his hamster in the microwave "to see what would happen". :|

Sick fscks.

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001

Good start to the day!!!

**UPDATE** I took it into Best Buy at the advice of some others and they gave me a new phone. I even got to pay the difference between my original price and the price of the new phone I wanted....w00t!

Oh, so it's your cousin's fault, but let's screw someone else over it.