Microwave + Cell Phone = Bad JuJu **UPDATE!! I got a new phone!!**

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
Thanks to my wonderful, curious, recently strangled young cousin, my cell phone had an all-expense paid trip to the microwave for about 3 seconds today. It is completely dead and to quote my friend and yours Ralph Wiggum..."it smells like burning".

Oh well, it's only my phone numbers and 50 or so various pictures and not to mention $230. Maybe I can convince Best Buy that it was caused by a power surge and get it covered under my PSP....highly doubt it though.

Good start to the day!!!

**UPDATE** I took it into Best Buy at the advice of some others and they gave me a new phone. I even got to pay the difference between my original price and the price of the new phone I wanted....w00t!

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Don't make me be the person to suggest that you microwave your cousin.... come on, somebody else stoop that low.

mygumballs

Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: AngryPirate
Thanks to my wonderful, curious, recently strangled young cousin, my cell phone had an all-expense paid trip to the microwave for about 3 seconds today. It is completely dead and to quote my friend and yours Ralph Wiggum..."it smells like burning".

Oh well, it's only my phone numbers and 50 or so various pictures and not to mention $230. Maybe I can convince Best Buy that it was caused by a power surge and get it covered under my PSP....highly doubt it though.

Good start to the day!!!

the quote is actually "it tastes like burning"

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: mygumballs

Good start to the day!!!

the quote is actually "it tastes like burning"

Ahh yes..yes it is. Well, I'm sure it also tastes like burning as well. Am I off the hook?

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Phocas
lmao!
How old is your cousin?

His parents offered to pay for it but I'm the one watching him today and I wasn't paying attention. If I wanted to prevent it I should have taken better precautionary measures.

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
better precautionary measures... we have to lock up our cell phones or microwaves now? Honestly, I know kids aren't the smartest people in the world, but who puts a cell phone in a microwave? No matter how you look at it, there's no way that would even be fun. What's he going to do, toss around a hot phone? The fact that he knows how to operate a microwave should indicate that he's intelligent enough not to do something as stupid as this.

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
better precautionary measures... we have to lock up our cell phones or microwaves now? Honestly, I know kids aren't the smartest people in the world, but who puts a cell phone in a microwave? No matter how you look at it, there's no way that would even be fun. What's he going to do, toss around a hot phone? The fact that he knows how to operate a microwave should indicate that he's intelligent enough not to do something as stupid as this.

Hehe, while my frsutration agrees with you, I've got too much experience with young children to agree. You can never be suprised at the things they will do. He explained it to me that he was tryin to warm it up (it had been outside in my car and was very cold to the touch). Whenever you have kids I've got a feeling that you will be a tad more patient and understanding of the things they do...

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
Originally posted by: PoPPeR better precautionary measures... we have to lock up our cell phones or microwaves now? Honestly, I know kids aren't the smartest people in the world, but who puts a cell phone in a microwave? No matter how you look at it, there's no way that would even be fun. What's he going to do, toss around a hot phone? The fact that he knows how to operate a microwave should indicate that he's intelligent enough not to do something as stupid as this.
Hehe, while my frsutration agrees with you, I've got too much experience with young children to agree. You can never be suprised at the things they will do. He explained it to me that he was tryin to warm it up (it had been outside in my car and was very cold to the touch). Whenever you have kids I've got a feeling that you will be a tad more patient and understanding of the things they do...
ah, well there's the reason I was looking for. It just didn't make sense to me, that the first reaction a kid has when he see's a cell phone is to put it in the microwave...

If it was cold, yeah that makes a little more sense.

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: PoPPeR better precautionary measures... we have to lock up our cell phones or microwaves now? Honestly, I know kids aren't the smartest people in the world, but who puts a cell phone in a microwave? No matter how you look at it, there's no way that would even be fun. What's he going to do, toss around a hot phone? The fact that he knows how to operate a microwave should indicate that he's intelligent enough not to do something as stupid as this.
ah, well there's the reason I was looking for. It just didn't make sense to me, that the first reaction a kid has when he see's a cell phone is to put it in the microwave...

If it was cold, yeah that makes a little more sense.

Sorry, should have been al ittle clearer. At first part of me was really pissed off about the whole deal, but I had to take a step back and think about the fact that all he was trying to do was help. Oh well, his parents and I are splitting it. I wanted to get a new phone anyways.

txxxx

Golden Member
Feb 13, 2003
Oooooh looks like someone beat my stupidity of a light dimmer for the house...with 2 bare wires connected to the wall hehehe :)

And yes, I was only 5. Cool lighting effect at the time, guess im lucky im still walking.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Maybe I can convince Best Buy that it was caused by a power surge and get it covered under my PSP....highly doubt it though.

Tell them you think it's from the Solar Flare!

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
something else to add... i'm a member of sprintusers.com, and we had a thread once on people who have tried taking their phones in after microwaving them (on purpose however, since they wanted new ones). I think the concept was that a couple a second and it's fried, and then hopefully the people that took it back wouldn't be aware of what really happened to it. Worth a shot, $250 to you is a bigger deal then $250 to wherever you bought it from.

BlamoHammer

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2002
something else to add... i'm a member of sprintusers.com, and we had a thread once on people who have tried taking their phones in after microwaving them (on purpose however, since they wanted new ones). I think the concept was that a couple a second and it's fried, and then hopefully the people that took it back wouldn't be aware of what really happened to it. Worth a shot, $250 to you is a bigger deal then $250 to wherever you bought it from.

Hmmm, there is a small bit of external damage done to the outside but nothing that would denote what actually happened to it. We'll see, the worst they can do is say no right? I would imagine the damage done to the phone is consistent to what would happen if it were hit by a power surge. SUrges are covered under the extended warranty. Hmmmm..... <wickedly rubs hands together>